Sponsored

UPDATED with Before/After Rustproofing: Startling video about why you should be worried about RUST!

SkyKing

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CG Wildtrak, E.R.A. 1966 Cobra 427 S/C replica
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Updated - see new comprehensive thread with Before/After rust proofing and other questions answered: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...fing-before-after-with-pics-and-videos.33381/

I live outside of Boston. They salt the crap out of the roads now - it's insane and drives me crazy. After recently having my 2006 4Runner hauled away for parts because of catastrophic frame rot with only 140K miles, I decided to research rust proofing options for my Bronco.

Anyway, I'm a skeptic on a lot of things and rust proofing is one of them. From old school Rusty Jones, to tar-based undercoatings, to WD-40, to spent motor oil, to newer products like Fluidfilm, Waxoil, hard wax, and NH Oil, it's hard to know what makes sense, and if it matters at all.

In any case, I took my new Wildtrak with 250 miles on it to a very high End car restorer https://www.alphacars.com/ that also specialized in rust proofing (as well as customization, detailing, PPF, ceramic coating, stereo, high performance exhaust and engine parts, etc.). It's very impressive and professional. They have several locations in MA and NH.

I am somewhat SHOCKED at what they discovered, which is the fact that Ford has put nearly zero rust protection on the underside of the Bronco. For example the body panels have up to 9mil of paint, yet the frame has only 0.5-1mil !!!! In some cases it's exposed bare metal where there is supposed to be paint.

I suggest you look at this VERY well done video of them inspecting the underside of my car and you will see why this should concern you if you live in New England.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=YVFzZXNFdE5iSE5tZkc2RmVxLUJRd2pOWnRwSTR3

If you ever want to be confident that a service shop knows what they are doing - watch this video. And if you decide to give them a call, please tell them Jeff Abbott referred you and they will take $100 off your service (No, I don't work for them.).
Sponsored

Last edited:

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
TBH I didn't watch the whole video, but does he do any comparisons to similar vehicles of other manufacturers? Other Ford vehicles? These numbers are meaningless without comparison. How do they compare (numbers-to-numbers) with the Wrangler? The F-150?

Saying "oh no its 1 mil" sounds bad, because hey... 1 is like, the smallest (integer) number above 0, and 0 is bad because it's nothing, right? That is, until you hear that all F-150s are produced with that or less, and we have millions of examples of those holding up fine to a normal operating lifespan on average.

Cool info, but clearly a salesman on camera!

Ig_bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I put fluid film on mine.. Easy to apply. I'll probably put more on in a couple weeks after this storm is over.

OP
OP
SkyKing

SkyKing

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

TBH I didn't watch the whole video, but does he do any comparisons to similar vehicles of other manufacturers? Other Ford vehicles? These numbers are meaningless without comparison. How do they compare (numbers-to-numbers) with the Wrangler? The F-150?

He's the business owner. You should watch the whole thing to see the examination of the under-body. Very interesting.

OP
OP
SkyKing

SkyKing

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Saying "oh no its 1 mil" sounds bad, because hey... 1 is like, the smallest (integer) number above 0, and 0 is bad because it's nothing, right? That is, until you hear that all F-150s are produced with that or less, and we have millions of examples of those holding up fine to a normal operating lifespan on average.

1 mil is one thousandth of an inch (0.001). It's basically nothing. The body panels have as much as 9mil. The frame should have as much. I realize that this doesn't matter in Arizona.

Sponsored

Boston182

First Edition
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson Sportster
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I did find it interesting. I learned about the inconsistency of paint thickness throughout the entire vehicle, and the fact there's a tool to measure it.

I also wonder how much the lack of paint and coating on the bottom matters if you live somewhere without snow/salt on the roads.

How much does underbody protection/coating run?

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
The frame should have as much
This is what I'm asking for corroboration of; does _any_ manufacturer apply 9 mil of protection to the underbody and frame? Without sampling other vehicles, all I'm saying is that 1 mil may be totally normal, and there may be tens (hundreds?) of millions of examples of other vehicles serving out normal operational lifespans with ~1mil of underbody protection in snowy states. That is, there may be nothing unique or abnormal to the Bronco here, and it seems hyperbolic to imply that it is something to be startled by or afraid of, especially without any baseline of comparison.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What about salt corrosion on the aluminum body panels? I have a friend who was maintenance super at fairly large airport nearby and they were not allowed to use salt there since it corrodes airplanes quickly. Yes, we have some paint on there, but I wonder....most planes are painted, too.

Anyone with insight?

BUCKNUT1

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Grom
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Interesting to watch. I would like to see an "after" video to compare.

Hopefully you make it home OK. That driveshaft is rusting as we speak.

OP
OP
SkyKing

SkyKing

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Interesting to watch. I would like to see an "after" video to compare.

Hopefully you make it home OK. That driveshaft is rusting as we speak.
Yeah agreed the drive shaft could probably rust for 20 years and not have a problem - I'm far less concerned about that. I'm more concerned about frame, hardware (nuts/bolts/washers), rocker panels, suspension/brake assemblies.

They will prepare after videos for me and I will post on Monday or Tuesday.

Sponsored

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Explorer ST, ‘19 GT350, ‘21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This is a chicken little thread. Wash the vehicle on a consistent basis even in the winter and be wary of places dirt and salt can sit and you will be fine. Next time you are around a bunch of bridges Pay attention to how much rust is on it. This is a non factor.

Last edited:

bikearch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 camaro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I live outside of Boston. They salt the crap out of the roads now - it's insane and drives me crazy. After recently having my 2006 4Runner hauled away for parts because of catastrophic frame rot with only 140K miles, I decided to research rust proofing options for my Bronco.

Anyway, I'm a skeptic on a lot of things and rust proofing is one of them. From old school Rusty Jones, to tar-based undercoatings, to WD-40, to spent motor oil, to newer products like Fluidfilm, Waxoil, hard wax, and NH Oil, it's hard to know what makes sense, and if it matters at all.

In any case, I took my new Wildtrak with 250 miles on it to a very high End car restorer https://www.alphacars.com/ that also specialized in rust proofing (as well as customization, detailing, PPF, ceramic coating, stereo, high performance exhaust and engine parts, etc.). It's very impressive and professional. They have several locations in MA and NH.

I am somewhat SHOCKED at what they discovered, which is the fact that Ford has put nearly zero rust protection on the underside of the Bronco. For example the body panels have up to 9mil of paint, yet the frame has only 0.5-1mil !!!! In some cases it's exposed bare metal where there is supposed to be paint.

I suggest you look at this VERY well done video of them inspecting the underside of my car and you will see why this should concern you if you live in New England.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=YVFzZXNFdE5iSE5tZkc2RmVxLUJRd2pOWnRwSTR3

If you ever want to be confident that a service shop knows what they are doing - watch this video. And if you decide to give them a call, please tell them Jeff Abbott referred you and they will take $100 off your service (No, I don't work for them.).
Lucky I live in a semi arid enviornment ( Los Angeles) where this will not be a problem.

wilbersk

Raptor
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
This is a chicken little thread. Wash the vehicle on a consistent basis even in the winter and be wary of places first and salt can sit and you will be fine. Next time you are around a bunch of bridges Pay attention to how much rust is on it. This is a non factor.
Frames do rot from rust.

GloNDark

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Bronco Ranger & 2021 Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Great video! I noticed rust on my First Edition in spots. Then I crawled under my wife's new Subaru XT and saw about the same sort of rust and missing paint. I'd be willing to bet that all manufacturers cut corners underneath. But it's good to get ahead of it. I plan on detailing the full undercarriage of mine this spring when the weather calms down. I did the same thing on my 06 mega cab. Spent days under that thing thing disassembling, painting and reassembling because of my OCD. It sucks that I have to do it on my 70k Bronco but I'd rather do it now and save headaches later.
Sponsored