PwrStrkr

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
saw interesting article by Autonews recently...

Jeep Wrangler vs. Ford Bronco: No losers early
Ford's revived Bronco has expanded the off-road SUV segment instead of just eating into Jeep's base.

https://www.autonews.com/sales/jeep-wrangler-vs-ford-bronco-no-losers-early

Interesting points...
  • Wrangler has been able to maintain its market share according to an S&P Global Mobility report.
  • The Bronco's share has climbed to as high as 6 percent at times, S&P said, while the Wrangler continues to account for 7 to 9 percent of the compact SUV segment as defined by S&P.
  • The Wrangler was the Bronco's most conquested vehicle during the nine-month period the study examined, from July 2021 through March 2022. In February, the Wrangler made up 10 percent of the Bronco's conquests, the highest to date.
  • "It looks like the pie for off-road-oriented SUVs grew when the Bronco [was] added, rather than Bronco and Wrangler fighting over" the same slice of the market, said Stephanie Brinley, an S&P Global Mobility analyst. "The interesting thing about it will be if anybody else decides to join in. We're not necessarily saying we've got a ton of growth opportunity in that space, but Bronco's addition has made the pie bigger."
  • Nick Anderson, general manager of Chuck Anderson Ford in Excelsior Springs, Mo., said he doesn't recall taking in a single Wrangler yet as a trade for a Bronco. Some buyers are getting the Bronco as their third or fourth vehicle and not trading anything in, he said.
    • The Bronco is "turning more people into adventure-seeking off-road enthusiasts," Brauer said, "rather than taking some kind of fixed number of those and stealing them from Jeep."
  • Anderson said the Wrangler has a cultlike following that is difficult to break into even if buyers like some of the Bronco's technology. At this stage, he wouldn't call it a sales race between the Bronco and Wrangler as much as it is a production battle, with Ford trying to fulfill a backlog of orders amid the ongoing microchip shortage.
Sponsored

DapperDeeds

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Company
Your Bronco Model
Base
Very interesting, although I would think these numbers would be a little off with how difficult it is to actually get a Bronco. "The last nine months" have been atrocious for Ford. Along with the fact that Wrangler's have been around much longer and are much more accessible. I would trust the numbers when Ford can actually keep up with the manufaturing and these things start becoming more and more normal on the road.

negativezero

Big Bend
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I think I'm situated right in the middle of the "surprise findings" part of the study.
Currently driving a really old vehicle that I love, but it's in its Centrum Silver days.

I would have replaced it earlier if there was anything on the road I was actually excited about.
My experiences driving Jeeps as rental vehicles for offroad trips didn't necessarily inspire me.
If the Bronco was never existing, I'd probably be moving toward something akin to the 4Runner, which probably doesn't immediately qualify in pure offroad SUV territory.

The mere presence of the Bronco was the inspiring event that moved me into this market share.

FormerJeepJunkie

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Very interesting, although I would think these numbers would be a little off with how difficult it is to actually get a Bronco. "The last nine months" have been atrocious for Ford. Along with the fact that Wrangler's have been around much longer and are much more accessible. I would trust the numbers when Ford can actually keep up with the manufaturing and these things start becoming more and more normal on the road.
That was my take. You can order a wrangler and get it in less than 3 months. You can typically find a wrangler or two on a lot. That means that people will move to the easier options as long as they are similar. I don’t think this data takes into account the complete lack of availability for the Bronco, and the continued issues they see. If I’m a new buyer to the segment, the Jeep stands out as the only real option. You might mix in the 4Runner, but those have a limited availability mixed with sky high ADM right now.

BroncoRick

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I had 2 TJ's and a JK since '99 and loved them all, but I traded the JK on the Bronco a week and a half ago. There is no comparison, the Bronco is an all around better vehicle and once Ford is through the reservations they will be eroding a bunch of Wrangler sales.

I would have liked a Gladiator, but in the end I couldn't even consider it or the JL because I don't fit in the Wrangler anymore. They shrunk the cabin way too much from the JK which was already on the edge of passable. And the Jeeps were 7-10k more expensive for similar options as I ended up with on the Bronco.

After a week with the Bronco about the only thing I miss is that my JK was worn in like an old baseball glove by the trails. If I get the hunger for a Jeep again I will hunt for an old Willys CJ2, not a new Jeep.

Sponsored

RockSkipper

Wildtrak
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F150 Crew Lariat 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
"Nick Anderson, general manager of Chuck Anderson Ford in Excelsior Springs, Mo., said he doesn't recall taking in a single Wrangler yet as a trade for a Bronco. Some buyers are getting the Bronco as their third or fourth vehicle and not trading anything in, he said."

I really did not want to take a trade in beating or leave meat on the bone...sold my TJ outright...which I think most folks could be doing.

TyGuy40

Badlands
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triumph Bonneville
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The loser is the Wrangler because the Bronco is just so much better looking. :cool:

Compta38

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It just looks like Ford will never be able to build Bronco in enough quantity to pull any Jeep market share. When day 1-2 reservations that were made 2 years ago don't have their Broncos they look elsewhere. Ford could have seriously done damage to Jeep if they didn't have their head up their own butts.

Sponsored

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
"Nick Anderson, general manager of Chuck Anderson Ford in Excelsior Springs, Mo., said he doesn't recall taking in a single Wrangler yet as a trade for a Bronco. Some buyers are getting the Bronco as their third or fourth vehicle and not trading anything in, he said."
This quote made me wrinkle my brow. Apparently, all the wrangler’s I’ve been seeing on the used lots at local Ford dealers were traded for what exactly? Used Ford Focus?

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It just looks like Ford will never be able to build Bronco in enough quantity to pull any Jeep market share. When day 1-2 reservations that were made 2 years ago don't have their Broncos they look elsewhere. Ford could have seriously done damage to Jeep if they didn't have their head up their own butts.
"Never" will end eventually. Despite Ford's missteps, the Auto industry as a whole is not able to produce what it wishes, so Ford-bashing only works to a point. Have you seen a Subaru lot recently?

Osky305

Wildtrak
First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wildtrak Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
saw interesting article by Autonews recently...

Jeep Wrangler vs. Ford Bronco: No losers early
Ford's revived Bronco has expanded the off-road SUV segment instead of just eating into Jeep's base.

https://www.autonews.com/sales/jeep-wrangler-vs-ford-bronco-no-losers-early

Interesting points...
  • Wrangler has been able to maintain its market share according to an S&P Global Mobility report.
  • The Bronco's share has climbed to as high as 6 percent at times, S&P said, while the Wrangler continues to account for 7 to 9 percent of the compact SUV segment as defined by S&P.
  • The Wrangler was the Bronco's most conquested vehicle during the nine-month period the study examined, from July 2021 through March 2022. In February, the Wrangler made up 10 percent of the Bronco's conquests, the highest to date.
  • "It looks like the pie for off-road-oriented SUVs grew when the Bronco [was] added, rather than Bronco and Wrangler fighting over" the same slice of the market, said Stephanie Brinley, an S&P Global Mobility analyst. "The interesting thing about it will be if anybody else decides to join in. We're not necessarily saying we've got a ton of growth opportunity in that space, but Bronco's addition has made the pie bigger."
  • Nick Anderson, general manager of Chuck Anderson Ford in Excelsior Springs, Mo., said he doesn't recall taking in a single Wrangler yet as a trade for a Bronco. Some buyers are getting the Bronco as their third or fourth vehicle and not trading anything in, he said.
    • The Bronco is "turning more people into adventure-seeking off-road enthusiasts," Brauer said, "rather than taking some kind of fixed number of those and stealing them from Jeep."
  • Anderson said the Wrangler has a cultlike following that is difficult to break into even if buyers like some of the Bronco's technology. At this stage, he wouldn't call it a sales race between the Bronco and Wrangler as much as it is a production battle, with Ford trying to fulfill a backlog of orders amid the ongoing microchip shortage.
Jeep owners angry broncos getting all the attention 😹

BigGarnet

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford is building at a pace of 120,000+ annually as we speak, with demand for much more…that’s enough to take share from someone. The day 1-2 reservation holders that are still waiting are waiting because @Ford Motor Company lied to tie reservation holders, and have now decided to just build to dealer allocation after saying specifically they would go in time stamp order. They have built plenty to fill all those early reservations…just gave them to other people.

Altitude

Badlands
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Grand Cherokee, 2008 Suzuki B-King
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

During 'normal' times, or if we get back to normal times, with normal production numbers, I'm guessing that the Bronco that absolutely destroy the Wrangler in sales. Let's be real, only 5-6% (or less) of Wrangler buyers buy one for true 'rock crawling', while 98%+ of new JL buyers will be using it as a daily? A good number of JL purchases today are for the look and ability to remove the roof and doors, and people just deal with the crap ride because there were no other options. I bought a Grand Cherokee because I couldn't stand the mail truck / dump truck ride and feel of the Wrangler. The Bronco corrects that.
Sponsored