Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LR Def90, F250 7.3, Caterham 7, LR Series III, etc
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Believe me, we’re damned if we do and damned if we don’t (get Aluminium)……as the owner of an Al aircraft, Al ain’t anywhere near immune to corrosion.
Sponsored

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Their corrosion warranty is:
Your vehicle’s body sheet metal panels or aluminum body panels are covered for an extended Corrosion Coverage Period. Coverage only applies if a body sheet metal panel becomes perforated due to corrosion during normal use due to a manufacturing defect in factory-supplied materials or factory workmanship. If aluminum body panels have corrosion or rust damage and the damage is not the result of abnormal usage, vehicle accident, customer actions or extreme environmental conditions, the corrosion or rust damage is covered for 5 years, unlimited miles.
The first part says only holes are covered then the specific part about aluminum panels doesn't mention perforation so which is it? Anybody used this warranty?

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Their corrosion warranty is:

The first part says only holes are covered then the specific part about aluminum panels doesn't mention perforation so which is it? Anybody used this warranty?
Tried very hard on the Explorer. Ford told me to go pound sand. It only covers perforation. I made an effort with the current Expedition and as I went down the same road with Ford I just cut the headache knowing where it was headed.
So no I did not have any success at all because it is not covered by Ford.

Sponsored

Hemisfear

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m very concerned about this because the last 2 Fords I have bought have had massive oxidation issues with their aluminum panels.

I had a white 2013 Explorer that had such bad oxidation bubbles and peeling paint it looked like it was a sun baked 80’s GM car. I traded that in for my current red 2015 Expedition EL and the bubbling and cracking is horrid as well.

I live in Northern Wisconsin so I get the salt and sand and brine on the roads a lot but I also wash my cars regularly and keep them in the garage.

I like using Al where you can but I am not happy so far with what I have seen Fords level of ability to paint it is at.
I’ve never had any issues, seems strangely odd that it’s happened more than once to you, are you sure it’s nothing on your end?

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

PPF asap, hope it helps prevent rock chips.

Sponsored

shoelessjoe

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m very concerned about this because the last 2 Fords I have bought have had massive oxidation issues with their aluminum panels.

I had a white 2013 Explorer that had such bad oxidation bubbles and peeling paint it looked like it was a sun baked 80’s GM car. I traded that in for my current red 2015 Expedition EL and the bubbling and cracking is horrid as well.

I live in Northern Wisconsin so I get the salt and sand and brine on the roads a lot but I also wash my cars regularly and keep them in the garage.

I like using Al where you can but I am not happy so far with what I have seen Fords level of ability to paint it is at.
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/02/pros-and-cons-of-aluminum-cars-and-trucks/index.htm

jd-ford-hd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘16 Explorer, ‘13 F150, ‘99 F350, '74 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Because I know how to take care of a car and this is a common problem.
I do too.! And yes it is a common problem.! Our 2016 Explorer has the now infamous "leading edge", under the paint, corrosion on the hood. Noticed it this summer, 3 months after the 5 year "in service" date.! Still, I am a Ford man for life.! F ederal O wnership R espectfully D eclined.!

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Explorer ST, ‘19 GT350, ‘21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

ChetC

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ford has had aluminum hoods for actual decades now. My 04 F150 has just an aluminum hood and there's not a speck of rust on the entire body, but the hood has bubbles. Rock chips are the devil for aluminum.
Ford never manufactured aluminum body panels until 2015 and that year it was only on the F150s. The Super Duty's got aluminum bodies in 2017.

I had to edit this as I was wrong about hoods. They started making those out of aluminum in '95.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
In my driveway is a 1972 Land Rover (aluminum body) with body panels like the day they left the factory (other than dents and whatnot). Also in my driveway is a rusted to pieces 1985 CJ-7. And a 1998 TJ on which I'm chasing around rust issues.

For long term ownership, I'll take aluminum any day of the week over steel. I'd be in heaven as would most of the CJ community, if Jeep had made those bodies out of aluminum instead of steel. In fact one of the premium aftermarket bodies now for older Jeeps is aluminum.

I get how bubbling paint on a new car would be seen as an issue. But long term, some bubbling paint is a trifle, compared to the body rusting out all over the place.
Sponsored