Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4DR Base Sasquatch 2.3 in VB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So I've gotten a few quotes from from some car/boat audio places near me and I'm a little shocked at the prices. Not sure if I'm that far out of it or didn't have realistic expectations on costs!! Both places were right around $2500 for 6 speaker replacement, 5 channel amp and sub with custom enclosure. One place was a box for the sub and the other would install in the void in the right side of the cargo area. This same place also had another idea that would save about $1200 by using a pre-made Kicker box and leaving the current speakers, but still installing the amp. The amp most likely would be hidden in the smaller void in the left side of the cargo area.

Does the price sound crazy or am I just getting old??
Sponsored

OP
OP
DonM

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

OP
OP
DonM

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

And this is why I do my own audio work.
I don't like dealing with wiring and taking panels off of vehicles...though I'm beginning to think I might need to learn.

Also, if I pick/can get speakers with a high enough sensitivity, will I really need an amp to drive them? Or is an amp useful for other things like setting what frequency ranges get sent to what speakers?

I guess I really need a stereo 101 lesson!!

Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't like dealing with wiring and taking panels off of vehicles...though I'm beginning to think I might need to learn.

Also, if I pick/can get speakers with a high enough sensitivity, will I really need an amp to drive them? Or is an amp useful for other things like setting what frequency ranges get sent to what speakers?

I guess I really need a stereo 101 lesson!!
Heh, I was attempting to be cheeky… but I realized you can’t see the emotion on my face as I type text over the internet.

Anyway, I texted my brother who used to do audio installs to get himself through college. He still does them today for some fun money on the weekends, so while I wouldn’t consider him a “pro”, he does make money from it. He says $2500 is kind of on the high side, but if you were quoted highish-end gear it’s not so high that it’s insanely over-priced.

He said the vast majority of the labor cost these days is due to the trim panels… they can be a pain to remove and the plastic clips frequently break, so sometimes audio shops will quote higher just to cover the cost of a trim piece or two. And with the modern infotainment systems these days, the software that allows you to reprogram the head units can cost a fortune to obtain.

BUT, if you are interested in doing your own work… I’d say dive in. Even if you don’t have a little brother that can save you from dumb mistakes… the internet has tons of resources and it honestly isn’t too hard. Especially if you are just doing a simple stock speaker swap. You could probably do it yourself for under $200-$300 easily.

OP
OP
DonM

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Heh, I was attempting to be cheeky… but I realized you can’t see the emotion on my face as I type text over the internet.

Anyway, I texted my brother who used to do audio installs to get himself through college. He still does them today for some fun money on the weekends, so while I wouldn’t consider him a “pro”, he does make money from it. He says $2500 is kind of on the high side, but if you were quoted highish-end gear it’s not so high that it’s insanely over-priced.

He said the vast majority of the labor cost these days is due to the trim panels… they can be a pain to remove and the plastic clips frequently break, so sometimes audio shops will quote higher just to cover the cost of a trim piece or two. And with the modern infotainment systems these days, the software that allows you to reprogram the head units can cost a fortune to obtain.

BUT, if you are interested in doing your own work… I’d say dive in. Even if you don’t have a little brother that can save you from dumb mistakes… the internet has tons of resources and it honestly isn’t too hard. Especially if you are just doing a simple stock speaker swap. You could probably do it yourself for under $200-$300 easily.
I was born in '72 🤣 . Even doing the amp and bass speaker would put me around $1350. Hertz HCP5D amp and a Kicker pre-assembled box (48TRTP102). About $740 for those two items. $340 install and the rest is the wiring kits and other bits. I'm really thinking this route as it would be plug and play for speaker upgrades. I just don't think I'd feel comfortable with wiring for the power.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was born in '72 🤣 . Even doing the amp and bass speaker would put me around $1350. Hertz HCP5D amp and a Kicker pre-assembled box (48TRTP102). About $740 for those two items. $340 install and the rest is the wiring kits and other bits. I'm really thinking this route as it would be plug and play for speaker upgrades. I just don't think I'd feel comfortable with wiring for the power.
He was familiar with the amp and didn’t say anything negative, so I think your good there.

Also mentioned he has a minimum install price of $300, and if it takes longer than full day to do he charges $30/hr after that. So the installation cost seems good as well.

So I think the quotes you got are roughly just what it costs to do what you’re looking to do.

Sponsored
OP
OP
DonM

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

He was familiar with the amp and didn’t say anything negative, so I think your good there.

Also mentioned he has a minimum install price of $300, and if it takes longer than full day to do he charges $30/hr after that. So the installation cost seems good as well.

So I think the quotes you got are roughly just what it costs to do what you’re looking to do.
Did he say anything about the Kicker sub? I know its not high-end, but to be able to stack stuff on top of it was appealing.

Last edited:

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Both places were right around $2500 for 6 speaker replacement, 5 channel amp and sub with custom enclosure. One place was a box for the sub and the other would install in the void in the right side of the cargo area. This same place also had another idea that would save about $1200 by using a pre-made Kicker box and leaving the current speakers, but still installing the amp. The amp most likely would be hidden in the smaller void in the left side of the cargo area.

Does the price sound crazy or am I just getting old??
Disregard anyone giving you DIY prices. They don't value their time very highly, or they love doing stereo work and wonder why anyone would pay extra to miss out on all the fun. You would also need to compare what equipment they're putting in.

I don't think $2500 sounds crazy at all. You could be quoted much higher for some custom set ups.

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Did he say anything about the Kicker sub? I know its not highend, but to able to stack stuff on top of it was appealing.
I have a Kicker sub in my Challenger and it's not great.

BossMann

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ha ha ha, I was quoted nine grand for integration, complete replacement with focal, and building a false floor for 13 1/2 inch subwoofer in the rear. This did include amplification, but this was utterly ridiculous.
Sponsored