John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So I've gotten a few quotes from from some car/boat audio places near me and I'm a little shocked at the prices. Not sure if I'm that far out of it or didn't have realistic expectations on costs!! Both places were right around $2500 for 6 speaker replacement, 5 channel amp and sub with custom enclosure. One place was a box for the sub and the other would install in the void in the right side of the cargo area. This same place also had another idea that would save about $1200 by using a pre-made Kicker box and leaving the current speakers, but still installing the amp. The amp most likely would be hidden in the smaller void in the left side of the cargo area.

Does the price sound crazy or am I just getting old??
I upgraded the 4 inch speakers with more efficent Infinity references, 600 hz bass blockers only on the dash speakers, kept the 6.5 inch kickpanel speakers, and installed a Kicker HS8 powered subwoofer in the rear cargo area. Costs: $ 110 for 4 inch speakers, $ 10 for bass blockers, $ 270 for HS8. So $ 400 all in for a huge upgrade. Took me about 6 hours labor total for all the work. Really happy plus there is the satisfaction of doing it yourself.
Sponsored

Lxatoledo

Wildtrak
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75 EB Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I don't like dealing with wiring and taking panels off of vehicles...though I'm beginning to think I might need to learn.

Also, if I pick/can get speakers with a high enough sensitivity, will I really need an amp to drive them? Or is an amp useful for other things like setting what frequency ranges get sent to what speakers?

I guess I really need a stereo 101 lesson!!
Always confident and optimistic, right up until I hear a crack, ping, or weird breaking sound......then some small cheesy plastic clip falls to the floor board.

Oh yeah........it can be done, but it never goes back together the same.........even with a "professional"--- you just don't notice until later.

OP
OP
DonM

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4DR Base Sasquatch 2.3 in VB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I upgraded the 4 inch speakers with more efficent Infinity references, 600 hz bass blockers only on the dash speakers, kept the 6.5 inch kickpanel speakers, and installed a Kicker HS8 powered subwoofer in the rear cargo area. Costs: $ 110 for 4 inch speakers, $ 10 for bass blockers, $ 270 for HS8. So $ 400 all in for a huge upgrade. Took me about 6 hours labor total for all the work. Really happy plus there is the satisfaction of doing it yourself.
Did you have to run power to it? What was the wiring like to get the sub connected?

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I think the stock stereo is going to be my main gripe with the bronco when I eventually get it.

Sponsored
OP
OP
DonM

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4DR Base Sasquatch 2.3 in VB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I think the stock stereo is going to be my main gripe with the bronco when I eventually get it.
If you don't want any bass, then it might be okay for ya!! I guess it would be fine for talk radio and the news!

Moparguy

Outer Banks
First Name
Mansour
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 MX5 GT - 2010 MX5 T
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I don't like dealing with wiring and taking panels off of vehicles...though I'm beginning to think I might need to learn.

Also, if I pick/can get speakers with a high enough sensitivity, will I really need an amp to drive them? Or is an amp useful for other things like setting what frequency ranges get sent to what speakers?

You may want to look at these topics:

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/big-bend-6-speaker-upgrade.25210/#post-883536

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/base-sound-system-upgrade-build.18480/

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/audio-upgrade-observations-questions.24673/

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Outback, '79 2G, '89 3G, '92 5G White!
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So I've gotten a few quotes from from some car/boat audio places near me and I'm a little shocked at the prices. Not sure if I'm that far out of it or didn't have realistic expectations on costs!! Both places were right around $2500 for 6 speaker replacement, 5 channel amp and sub with custom enclosure. One place was a box for the sub and the other would install in the void in the right side of the cargo area. This same place also had another idea that would save about $1200 by using a pre-made Kicker box and leaving the current speakers, but still installing the amp. The amp most likely would be hidden in the smaller void in the left side of the cargo area.

Does the price sound crazy or am I just getting old??
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DB402/Polk-Audio-DB-402.html. You need 2 pair.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DB652/Polk-Audio-DB-652.html

Find a kid to put them in if you don't want to deal with it.

PapaWE

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 Chevy K2500, 07 HD Nightrain
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I read on another thread that when the dealership installs the Ford soundbar they flash the factory head unit to push 100 watts per channel instead of 25 that the factory pods get. If this is accurate than you may not "need" the amp for anything but a sub if wanted. Also at that price would it just be worth getting the lux package and BO sound? (unless you have lower trim model). I was considering getting a JL amp with dsp that has enough channels for the 6 plus a sub that I could install behind dash or get the trim piece that has the sub grill from the BO package

De Brus

First Edition
First Name
De Brus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 HD 1200, '66 IH, '62 VW
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Just wait for the JL stealth box for the sub, and replace factory speakers with a better brand.

Sponsored

SpursFan

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
350r, F150, Expedition, Cayenne and the others.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I read on another thread that when the dealership installs the Ford soundbar they flash the factory head unit to push 100 watts per channel instead of 25 that the factory pods get. If this is accurate than you may not "need" the amp for anything but a sub if wanted. Also at that price would it just be worth getting the lux package and BO sound? (unless you have lower trim model). I was considering getting a JL amp with dsp that has enough channels for the 6 plus a sub that I could install behind dash or get the trim piece that has the sub grill from the BO package
the flash only removes the DSP low pass filter it does not change the amplification.

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Same here. As soon as I have an idea on when my Bronco might arrive, I'm calling the local stereo shop and getting on their schedule.

Brianstrange

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 EB , 67 Stang, 77 GMC Motorhome, A6 3.0T, W211
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Show us the quote including brands & models. I will say that that sounds like a good price if you're getting quality work. I've been affiliated with Sound In Motion in Boston, MA (now Watertown, MA) since competing on the IASCA circuit in the early 90's. I have yet to see a shop match their quality and system design (I'm sure there are others) so they rank top, even at this day. You can get it cheaper at Best Buy etc..... but quality work is not only worth the piece of mind, it's also worth the cost. Go to a top rated Stereo shop and pay extra! It's always worth it.

Brianstrange

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 EB , 67 Stang, 77 GMC Motorhome, A6 3.0T, W211
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Were you able to measure the frequency output of the dash speakers before adding the capacitor? I briefly messed with the factory basic setup at Roadeo and was able to get it to sound decent for what it is. I noticed that the windshield speakers sounded like they were crossed off at around 200 hz which is all the 4" would need.
Sponsored