Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did he say anything about the Kicker sub? I know its not high-end, but to be able to stack stuff on top of it was appealing.
He finally got back to me today.

He has never used or installed that sub specifically, but Kicker is a big name in the car audio community and doesn't expect you to have any issues, but just looking at the specs it doesn't really seem to a high-end sub.
Sponsored

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Disregard anyone giving you DIY prices. They don't value their time very highly, or they love doing stereo work and wonder why anyone would pay extra to miss out on all the fun. You would also need to compare what equipment they're putting in.

I don't think $2500 sounds crazy at all. You could be quoted much higher for some custom set ups.
Considering he didn't list any components, how could you make a rational statement on whether $2,500 is high or not? They could be 3 sets of $40 speakers, a $250 "2500w" 5 channel amp and a 1/2" MDF box.

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Considering he didn't list any components, how could you make a rational statement on whether $2,500 is high or not? They could be 3 sets of $40 speakers, a $250 "2500w" 5 channel amp and a 1/2" MDF box.
Two quotes, same price range. I have to assume they are reputable shops and not two different businesses trying to rip someone off. Plus that's the kind of quote I would expect to see.

Last edited:

JGee

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I first installed the 4” inch speakers in the dash without any blocking caps and they would distort at even medium volume levels. Relying on the kick panel speakers for mid bass and the sub for the rest works much better.

JGee

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Did you have to run power to it? What was the wiring like to get the sub connected?
Yes I did. My Bronco has Aux switches so I used the Aux 2 switch wiring since it’s rated for 15 amps. I had to tap the kick panel speaker wires to send High level signals to the sub. Tucking the speaker wires under the passenger door trim was pretty easy. To get the Aux 2 to the right rear cargo area you need to connect up the circuits under hood as well as behind the glovebox. It was a bit finicky but be patient. Finally to get to the power line in the cargo area you just need to pull off the plastic trim. There are also great spots there to get a solid ground connection, which is really important.

Sponsored
OP
OP
DonM

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4DR Base Sasquatch 2.3 in VB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I still haven't gotten the official quote from one but here is the other:

Hertz HCP5D Amp $439.99 5 channel amp
Audison Prima 6.5 Midbass pair $169.99 replace kick
Audison Prima 2" pair $189.99 replace dash
Audison Prima 4" pair $169.99 replace rear pod
Audison Prima 10" Shallow $279.99 added for sub
Custom Box install in void in right side cargo area $350
Install and Labor $595
Plus about another $230 in wire and remote sub volume controller.
Total just pennies under $2500.

Second option was to drop all the speakers and do the amp and the Kicker 48TRTP102 sub-box for pennies over $1300. Stock speakers would be wired into the amp.

Also the goal would be to put the amp in the void in the left side of the cargo area.

The other shop was busy putting together, I think, four builds for SEMA at the end of the month. This shop also does lifts and lights and other work. I believe that they would be building a system with JBL Club/Stage level items with possibly adding a pair of dedicated tweeters. So this would end up being a 7 speaker system with 7/8 channel amp. Honestly this will probably run closer to 3K. Same idea of custom sub box in right void and amp in left void.

OP
OP
DonM

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Just got the quote from the other place....$3K. JBL Club speakers (422F and 625SQ) and amp (A5055). JBL Fuse subs (pair of 8"). And this is just the 5 speaker set up. No independent tweeters.

Murph914

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 F-350 reg cab srw v10 manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Seams reasonable to me. Have you heard the Audison speakers in person to audition them? What they’re charging for the sub seems low if anything. If it were me I’d maybe get better gear and hold out on the sub until a proper JL unit comes out. Also make sure they are doing good installs. Have you seen a project book showing how they run wires and how they fuse things?

OP
OP
DonM

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Seams reasonable to me. Have you heard the Audison speakers in person to audition them? What they’re charging for the sub seems low if anything. If it were me I’d maybe get better gear and hold out on the sub until a proper JL unit comes out. Also make sure they are doing good installs. Have you seen a project book showing how they run wires and how they fuse things?
Still working on get a couple quotes and BS'ing with the different shops to get a feel for the people. So far, both shops seemed knowledgeable about the craft and the lines that they carry. Have not listened to any of the speakers yet. I'm leaning towards an amp and sub addition and replacing speakers as needed/wanted. The range of the stock speakers is fine and the range they cover so good enough for me, I just need some bass in there and maybe a little more control of where the frequency spreads are sent.

Brock9281

Outer Banks
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I upgraded the 4 inch speakers with more efficent Infinity references, 600 hz bass blockers only on the dash speakers, kept the 6.5 inch kickpanel speakers, and installed a Kicker HS8 powered subwoofer in the rear cargo area. Costs: $ 110 for 4 inch speakers, $ 10 for bass blockers, $ 270 for HS8. So $ 400 all in for a huge upgrade. Took me about 6 hours labor total for all the work. Really happy plus there is the satisfaction of doing it yourself.
Pics of sub installed? How’s the 8” sun in Bronco?
Sponsored