First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That looks like a Great solution!! Just remember to use OFC wires (true copper) and NOT CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum). Opening and closing the tail gate would cause CCA to crack over time, and not be good.

WillinMA

Wildtrak
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wildtrak, 2020 G Wagon, 2018 Audi R8 Spyder
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
$1400 - that included amp, box, sub, control switch, and install.

I also spent about $500 replacing the interior speakers with higher quality ones.
I have the B&O system and upgraded all the speakers first...then just added this sub. Did the install myself and to your point fits like a glove in the rear door - with the B&O, I took out the sub along the side and thats where I put in a Kicker Key500.1 amp (inside the sub box) to drive the sub. Along with the speaker upgrades, it now sounds like a decent setup. I also dynamated the floor of the cargo area while I was at it...and you do have to make sure the sub is mounted with all the screws into the box and the box mounted tight on the rear door - or else you will get vibrations while playing your music!

OP
OP
BWahlberg79

BWahlberg79

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
What did you replace the stock speakers with?
Audison 4" in the front dash and rear bars, Audison 6 3/4" in the kick panels. That really helped with the clarity of the sound - but since the kick panels are basically at your feet it really limited the ability for good depth. Add in the rear speakers are just 4"... so yeah - quality upgrade, but no bass upgrade there at all. The sub fixed all of that, and then some.

OBXSquatch21

Outer Banks
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have the B&O system and upgraded all the speakers first...then just added this sub. Did the install myself and to your point fits like a glove in the rear door - with the B&O, I took out the sub along the side and thats where I put in a Kicker Key500.1 amp (inside the sub box) to drive the sub. Along with the speaker upgrades, it now sounds like a decent setup. I also dynamated the floor of the cargo area while I was at it...and you do have to make sure the sub is mounted with all the screws into the box and the box mounted tight on the rear door - or else you will get vibrations while playing your music!
I know MTI had mentioned they put dynamat between their tailgate box and the metal. Did you do that on this version?

Sponsored

dangerfoot

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dangerfoot.com
Vehicle(s)
White Wildtrak 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I know MTI had mentioned they put dynamat between their tailgate box and the metal. Did you do that on this version?
I'd be much more inclined to take apart the tailgate and put it inside, in the case that you want to remove the sub box at some point, you don't want dynamat sitting there visible.

Hossfire

Wildtrak
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

That clean. Think im going to copy when mine lands whenever lol
I may consider that as well. I have been itching to build a sub box for a while.

Yardo //

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Lincoln MKX (for sale), 1976 CJ-7 (for sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
On the list!

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

had it done professionally bc I would mess it up. Added a RF amp for power management (hid that under the front seat) and added a volume control knob on the dash.

Whoa… the sound is great. It just what’s needed to add good depth to the sound. I didn’t order the upgraded audio - this though far exceeded my expectations.

It also fits pretty well and with the shallow 12 it doesn’t take away from storage space in the back.

Here’s some photos, I’ll get a video of the sound and follow up.
4371E205-155C-4D78-8017-E7BFAF828CD7.jpeg
8073B038-5F6F-4937-AEBA-B90194623949.jpeg
15576F90-618D-48F9-9970-F5202B8BF1D5.jpeg
F5F672DB-2592-4588-9194-816BC2AAF810.jpeg
2B2EC5C4-DE81-428F-9824-5B0AF0CDC17A.jpeg
789AACE1-B794-4B30-8CB5-7D7C0679C2D2.jpeg
I was set to go this route during my stereo install, but then balked at it because I really wanted my flip down table in that spot. I haven't come up with any better idea yet though, so I may have to bite the bullet and have the Stinger put on.

Do you think there is maybe too much weight on the tailgate? It already feels heavy just with the spare on there.

Sponsored
OP
OP
BWahlberg79

BWahlberg79

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I was set to go this route during my stereo install, but then balked at it because I really wanted my flip down table in that spot. I haven't come up with any better idea yet though, so I may have to bite the bullet and have the Stinger put on.

Do you think there is maybe too much weight on the tailgate? It already feels heavy just with the spare on there.
It's seemed just fine to me, granted this is day 2 with it. Opens/closes just fine, doesn't seem to have any excess stress on it. Considering Ford built the tailgate with the intention to add accessories to the door I'd venture they designed/planned it to support plenty of weight.

WillinMA

Wildtrak
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wildtrak, 2020 G Wagon, 2018 Audi R8 Spyder
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I just watched the install for the MTI and didn't see on their install any dynamat between...but the one thing I did notice is the different ways they mount. On the Stinger you drill 4 holes (template provided) in the tail gate...the two bottom bolts attached an L bracket that holds up the box and you screw the bracket in the box (from the bottom) as well. Then there are 2 up top as well. For the MTI, the bottom looks like it slides into a slot and has just 2 bolts in the center to hold it in place. On the stinger you can pretty much get max bass for a 12" woofer and not get any vibrations from the box/tailgate. It appears that the stinger (though more holes to drill) mounts more securely....but thats just one person's opinion!

Rem234

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Veloster N, 11 Buick Regal, 02 Lesabre
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'd be much more inclined to take apart the tailgate and put it inside, in the case that you want to remove the sub box at some point, you don't want dynamat sitting there visible.
I put a piece of rubber sheeting between my box and the tailgate. This way there won't be any adhesive on the paint, and the box isn't touching the paint. Besides the plastic cover sticks out further than the painted panel below, so this helps to square up the box.
Most of the inside of the tailgate is full of bracing and honestly I could not see anywhere flat enough to put dynamat. Perhaps with a spray? The only rattle I get is immediately around the handle, and only with certain songs/frequencies. So eventually I may put a bit in that area.

I feel the weight of the spare tire, coupled with the weight of the sub and box (30 lbs for mine) gives the tailgate so much mass that it doesn't rattle or vibrate.

PXL_20211218_014459550.jpg

PXL_20211212_183711714.jpg

PXL_20211230_233804620.jpg

jacobrdoty

Outer Banks
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT (Bagged and Boosted) x 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

In the exact same space. I found this : https://srqcustoms.com/product/ford-bronco-subwoofer-enclosure-with-grille/

I was leaning toward this as I don't have the OEM B&O system so I can trim my opening and add that grille.
Sponsored