First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco 4-Door, 2020 Benz-cedes GLS450
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I installed the same stringer sub, but used their phoenix gold 500.1 amp to power it, I've replaced all the other speakers (kicker and focal).. I am not super happy with the balance though... I've got the bass gain knob turned all the way down, but the bass is too 'boomy' compared to the rest of the system, which makes sense when you think about the fact that the rest of the system is made of of 5 4" speakers and two 6.5's, and then it goes to the 12" with nothing in between. I wish this box had an 8" or maybe 10" woofer in it, I think it would have provided a more balanced sound
You’ll need to upgrade the power on your non-amped factory system. Many use the kicker key. I’ll be using the musway amp. I’m told that fixed the “imbalance.”
Sponsored

MidnightBlue

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I do like the sub, but the sub itself has a rattle/shake that I can reduce by physically pushing on the sub screen. I have taken the sub out, made sure the bolts were tightened down, and all screws on the sub were tight. Looked for all other rattles or noises, but its actually coming from the sub. Only when turned up pretty loud with bass up, so really not a big deal as I am not trying to shake windows. 8" is probably enough for most people, I just wanted more.

I saw that Phoenix Gold amp too. Went with the Stinger to make sure it screwed onto the mounting bracket, and then it didn't even do that all the way, only two screws matched up. I was going to order from PlugNPlay, but they were out of stock on the tailgate sub. I got their harness for the Kicker Key 200.4 amp and worked great. Only place I could find the sub in stock was on Amazon when I was ordering.

I am VERY happy with the sound. Finally feel like I have it dialed it, and so much better than stock. Excited to hear it with top off this summer. Last year when I got it stock it was as I am sure you know, terrible. Couldnt hardly hear with top off, distorted if turned up too loud. Zero bass. Very, very happy with it.

Really the only person that will see the top of the sub enclosure if I decide to trim it down, is me. As long as I seal it back up it shouldn't be an issue. Just would like to keep it looking as good as it does now. I cant remember where I saw that rear shelf for the Bronco, but I saw a metal one about 6 months ago and looked like it may work. Installed with the bolts that hold down the top, so you could get into it but have to bring some tools. If the gap isn't too big from the shelf and tailfate. Here is a pic of my wife's Land Rover Defender with a similar shelf.

Stereo in-line was $18.
Amp was $160
Wiring kit was $160
Sub was $489
Bracket was $89

All bought on Amazon except for the bracket which was bought on stinger website; https://stingerelectronics.com/products/txfbb12

I debated that, and may go back and do the same. I have some Boom mat which is the same I think. Only noise I can tell now is just from the actual sub, and pressing on the sub cage reduces/stops it. It's like the sub itself makes the noise.
20230302_174934.jpg
Bought this same stinger box and after testing it out decided to return it. Unfortunately rattled like crazy and I could feel air leaking out like it wasn’t sealed.

Also the enclosure is made of cheap medium density fibreboard and due to the tailgate location I would be weary of getting caught in the elements and moisture collecting in it. MDF is not waterproof at all despite Stingers marketing.

Since it’s already installed I would recommend you take it to a shop and have them fill it with resin to reseal it. Shouldn’t cost much. That should help with the rattling and seal the box so it sounds better.

Good luck!

Ironsides

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I got the stinger tailgate sub and upgraded the rear speakers to 6.5” JL audio C2’s. Amps for each were mounted in the storage area beneath the trunk space.

Wow is all I can say. It hits hard and sounds amazing! Kept the factory front speakers and it worked out perfectly. Dynamat used behind the sub. Mounted the base control on my arm rest near the window controls.
Attached a few pics.
Ford Bronco Stinger tailgate sub installed, Stinger 700w amp install under driver seat with pics, 6.5 Mabett rear Kickers EA685D4B-786D-42F9-B3A0-9045AA7F6507
Ford Bronco Stinger tailgate sub installed, Stinger 700w amp install under driver seat with pics, 6.5 Mabett rear Kickers EEC9EC79-8C13-40B0-A71A-69D1156EB56A
Ford Bronco Stinger tailgate sub installed, Stinger 700w amp install under driver seat with pics, 6.5 Mabett rear Kickers 2FE5031A-6B53-4228-AB7C-229E0EF9BEF6

gringoloco

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
…Amps for each were mounted in the storage area beneath the trunk space…
Ford Bronco Stinger tailgate sub installed, Stinger 700w amp install under driver seat with pics, 6.5 Mabett rear Kickers 2FE5031A-6B53-4228-AB7C-229E0EF9BEF6
I like the way the amps are mounted, looks clean đź‘Ť What amp is that on the right(the bigger one)?

OP
OP
fallguy

fallguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Defender, 2022 Outerbanks SAS, 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Bought this same stinger box and after testing it out decided to return it. Unfortunately rattled like crazy and I could feel air leaking out like it wasn’t sealed.

Also the enclosure is made of cheap medium density fibreboard and due to the tailgate location I would be weary of getting caught in the elements and moisture collecting in it. MDF is not waterproof at all despite Stingers marketing.

Since it’s already installed I would recommend you take it to a shop and have them fill it with resin to reseal it. Shouldn’t cost much. That should help with the rattling and seal the box so it sounds better.

Good luck!
Thanks for the advice, I will look into it for sure.

I got the stinger tailgate sub and upgraded the rear speakers to 6.5” JL audio C2’s. Amps for each were mounted in the storage area beneath the trunk space.

Wow is all I can say. It hits hard and sounds amazing! Kept the factory front speakers and it worked out perfectly. Dynamat used behind the sub. Mounted the base control on my arm rest near the window controls.
Attached a few pics.
EA685D4B-786D-42F9-B3A0-9045AA7F6507.jpeg
EEC9EC79-8C13-40B0-A71A-69D1156EB56A.jpeg
2FE5031A-6B53-4228-AB7C-229E0EF9BEF6.jpeg
Amps look really good. Lot less space in the 2 door, but I do like that. Do you have full sound from the back, are they tapped into the kick panel speakers? I have thought about putting the back on the 700w amp and tapping into the kick panels, they just aren't as loud as the fronts even after forscan edits. Amp looks similar to my '68 Mustang amp with the screen;

Ford Bronco Stinger tailgate sub installed, Stinger 700w amp install under driver seat with pics, 6.5 Mabett rear Kickers 20230305_181517

Sponsored

Notawrangler

Heritage
First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, 2022 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
I did a very similar sound system upgrade. Changed out the 4" speakers front and back with kicker DS series, and put 6.5" JBL GTO's in the kick panels. It needed bass badly so I paid a shop to install the Stinger tailgate sub and a JL 500 watt amp. They put the amp in the cubby space under the trunk mat and assured me that airflow was a non-issue with the new technology amps. The system sounds amazing and I have not had any issues with the amp placement. My bronco went from being the worst stock sound system I've ever heard to the best system I've had in any vehicle. I highly recommend the Stinger tailgate sub and the speaker setup I went with.
Just curious did you do an amp for the other speakers as well? And if so which one.

Squatchn'

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BaseSquatch, 2021 Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Just curious did you do an amp for the other speakers as well? And if so which one.
I did not do an Amp for the interior speakers. Instead I just selected speakers that have a very high sensitivity rating. I'm not the type of person to blast it to the level that people around the block will hear me. I just play it loud enough that I can hear it clearly even with top down and windows open. No distortion from the speakers at the levels I play it at.

Notawrangler

Heritage
First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, 2022 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
I did not do an Amp for the interior speakers. Instead I just selected speakers that have a very high sensitivity rating. I'm not the type of person to blast it to the level that people around the block will hear me. I just play it loud enough that I can hear it clearly even with top down and windows open. No distortion from the speakers at the levels I play it at.
Thanks for the reply, did you use bass blockers on the front dash speakers?

Squatchn'

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BaseSquatch, 2021 Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base

tater_70

Wildtrak
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Fairlane, 1973 Bronco, 75 F-100
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Kind of expensive but I'm considering the JL dual 8" powered subwoofer box. Only a little over 5" thick, 35" wide. Gets great reviews.

I contacted JL today and they stated that I could use it as a down firing sub enclosure. Might make a box to cover the rear area where I can drop the sub in, try to match it with the rear seats being down.

Last edited:

Sponsored

smast

Wildtrak
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak 4d Hardtop
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I put a JL 500W mono sub amp in the space vacated by the B&O stock sub enclosure, since I was removing that. Worked out pretty well. Just had to fabricate a fiberboard mounting bracket (covered with sound deadening mat for no good reason) to mount it. Went with a JL 10" sub in a small custom enclosure rather than the tailgate sub, but otherwise same idea. This works well if you don't want to mount an amp under the seat
Ford Bronco Stinger tailgate sub installed, Stinger 700w amp install under driver seat with pics, 6.5 Mabett rear Kickers 20221112_130335

Last edited:
OP
OP
fallguy

fallguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Finally got around to fixing the Ford security enclosure. Used a jigsaw to cut the top in order to allow the sub to close. Worked out pretty well, and its now secure for when out and about with top off. Sure you could get in there if someone had the proper tools and time, but thats everything. I have ordered the JCR shelf a few weeks ago, but still waiting on it. I lost a tie down with the cut, but it doesnt hold much weight anyways, and has no lip to it. The JCR shelf will fix that, and add a bit more security. Pic of it attached, hopefully get in soon for warmer weather. Added car door seal guard on the edge that was rubbing on the plastic, made a bit of noise and was scratching it up. Overall pretty happy about it and feel more at ease.
Ford Bronco Stinger tailgate sub installed, Stinger 700w amp install under driver seat with pics, 6.5 Mabett rear Kickers 20230328_144312
Ford Bronco Stinger tailgate sub installed, Stinger 700w amp install under driver seat with pics, 6.5 Mabett rear Kickers 20230328_144359
Ford Bronco Stinger tailgate sub installed, Stinger 700w amp install under driver seat with pics, 6.5 Mabett rear Kickers 20230328_144349
Ford Bronco Stinger tailgate sub installed, Stinger 700w amp install under driver seat with pics, 6.5 Mabett rear Kickers 20230328_144355

Ford Bronco Stinger tailgate sub installed, Stinger 700w amp install under driver seat with pics, 6.5 Mabett rear Kickers Shelf.PNG

Whodat

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've been looking for one of these Stinger subs. Any idea of who might have one in stock? Seem to be backordered everywhere.

OP
OP
fallguy

fallguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I've been looking for one of these Stinger subs. Any idea of who might have one in stock? Seem to be backordered everywhere.
Got mine from Amazon, went out of stock a few days later and have not returned. The Stinger site had them, Plugnplay kits has had them, not sure if still do. I am at work and the last two sites are blocked, cant check for you.

https://stingeroffroad.com/collections/ford-bronco

You can ask him here; https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/stinger-phoenix-gold-tailgate-sub-box-in-stock.57872/

stickshifthappy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, 65 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I did a very similar sound system upgrade. Changed out the 4" speakers front and back with kicker DS series, and put 6.5" JBL GTO's in the kick panels. It needed bass badly so I paid a shop to install the Stinger tailgate sub and a JL 500 watt amp. They put the amp in the cubby space under the trunk mat and assured me that airflow was a non-issue with the new technology amps. The system sounds amazing and I have not had any issues with the amp placement. My bronco went from being the worst stock sound system I've ever heard to the best system I've had in any vehicle. I highly recommend the Stinger tailgate sub and the speaker setup I went with.
Thanks for the post. So how is the stinger performing. I’ve seen reviews that talk about to dying quickly . I like the looks of the box but sound and quality matter more in the end.

also a little worried about a speaker facing into the cabin area . I feel like there needs to be grille over the speaker to protect it.
Sponsored