First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BaseSquatch, 2021 Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thanks for the post. So how is the stinger performing. I’ve seen reviews that talk about to dying quickly . I like the looks of the box but sound and quality matter more in the end.

also a little worried about a speaker facing into the cabin area . I feel like there needs to be grille over the speaker to protect it.
The stinger sub is great. It provides really deep, tight bass with no slop at all. It has plenty of power as well. I can't speak to the longevity of it because I haven't had it that long, but no issues to date. Also, it comes with a grille so you don't have to worry about stuff in the trunk ruining the speaker.
Sponsored

stickshifthappy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, 65 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I installed the same stringer sub, but used their phoenix gold 500.1 amp to power it, I've replaced all the other speakers (kicker and focal).. I am not super happy with the balance though... I've got the bass gain knob turned all the way down, but the bass is too 'boomy' compared to the rest of the system, which makes sense when you think about the fact that the rest of the system is made of of 5 4" speakers and two 6.5's, and then it goes to the 12" with nothing in between. I wish this box had an 8" or maybe 10" woofer in it, I think it would have provided a more balanced sound
That's my issue as well. I don't think I want a 12” sub a 10” should be plenty. My tree guy has been saying g because it's an open air vehicle I need the extra sub. I've been driving a 65 mustang convertible and haven't missed bass in the open top driving (smaller cabin sure, but 12" is pretty damn big). I don't wanna pull up to people, and rattle their glass cause I've got my volume cranked a bit.

Silence

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That's my issue as well. I don't think I want a 12” sub a 10” should be plenty. My tree guy has been saying g because it's an open air vehicle I need the extra sub. I've been driving a 65 mustang convertible and haven't missed bass in the open top driving (smaller cabin sure, but 12" is pretty damn big). I don't wanna pull up to people, and rattle their glass cause I've got my volume cranked a bit.
Just get a remote bass knob and install up front. can always use that to turn down the bass easily if needed.

stickshifthappy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, 65 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just get a remote bass knob and install up front. can always use that to turn down the bass easily if needed.
Thanks I had that very conversation with my stereo guy this morning going with the stinger 12 inch door mounted subwoofer and they’ll be a control so I can turn down the base as needed

Sponsored
OP
OP
fallguy

fallguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Defender, 2022 Outerbanks SAS, 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The stinger sub is great. It provides really deep, tight bass with no slop at all. It has plenty of power as well. I can't speak to the longevity of it because I haven't had it that long, but no issues to date. Also, it comes with a grille so you don't have to worry about stuff in the trunk ruining the speaker.
I agree with all of this. Bass sounds good, and you can turn it down too. Really, really happy with the results with everything I did.

JCR got back to me, I am about 3 weeks out from them shipping the shelf. Will post a pic after.

IndefiniteJay

Big Bend
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I had actually been looking into installing a sub on my tailgate as well but I was worried it would be an issue if I also got a security enclosure in the back. I noticed you had the MOLLE panels as the walls which probably aids in not ruining the sound. I’m afraid if I get the Diabolical security enclosure, the sub would be playing into an all metal wall enclosure and it would ruin the sound. Any suggestions?

I also did not stop to think that the enclosure wouldn’t fit flush with the sub in the way so that’s another thing to take into consideration.

OP
OP
fallguy

fallguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I had actually been looking into installing a sub on my tailgate as well but I was worried it would be an issue if I also got a security enclosure in the back. I noticed you had the MOLLE panels as the walls which probably aids in not ruining the sound. I’m afraid if I get the Diabolical security enclosure, the sub would be playing into an all metal wall enclosure and it would ruin the sound. Any suggestions?

I also did not stop to think that the enclosure wouldn’t fit flush with the sub in the way so that’s another thing to take into consideration.
You are probably right, it'd bounce off the plastic wall. Because the parts that were touching the plastic towards the top did just that. Not after I lined them with rubber door guards. I lose a bit of space with the molle not being all the way to the side wall, but the molle allows me to hang things and I think it's worth it. The extra storage from the shelf should help. Molle adds some airflow too, we'll be keeping my son's iPad and such back there when out and about. A total enclosure with next to no airflow will probably bake the iPad.

I msg Diabolical on these forums asking for measurements to see if the sub enclosure would fit without modification, they never responded so kept the Ford one and just cut it. Really wasn't that bad. I made a post about installing it with some pics if you haven't seen it.

Actually just got notification that the Jcr shelf shipped. I'll update a pic when it's here.

IndefiniteJay

Big Bend
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
You are probably right, it'd bounce off the plastic wall. Because the parts that were touching the plastic towards the top did just that. Not after I lined them with rubber door guards. I lose a bit of space with the molle not being all the way to the side wall, but the molle allows me to hang things and I think it's worth it. The extra storage from the shelf should help. Molle adds some airflow too, we'll be keeping my son's iPad and such back there when out and about. A total enclosure with next to no airflow will probably bake the iPad.

I msg Diabolical on these forums asking for measurements to see if the sub enclosure would fit without modification, they never responded so kept the Ford one and just cut it. Really wasn't that bad. I made a post about installing it with some pics if you haven't seen it.

Actually just got notification that the Jcr shelf shipped. I'll update a pic when it's here.
I had not thought about an additional shelf on top of the enclosure. If it’s easy to put on and off, then I’ll consider it.

It makes sense that the MOLLE panels on the enclosure would probably be a better choice to pair with the sub. I’m also not one to carry long or tall items to be limited by the Fords enclosure walls so I guess it’s a win win.

I’m not sure if I might have missed it but if you find a solution for the sub bumping into the security enclosure, please let me know.

OP
OP
fallguy

fallguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I had not thought about an additional shelf on top of the enclosure. If it’s easy to put on and off, then I’ll consider it.

It makes sense that the MOLLE panels on the enclosure would probably be a better choice to pair with the sub. I’m also not one to carry long or tall items to be limited by the Fords enclosure walls so I guess it’s a win win.

I’m not sure if I might have missed it but if you find a solution for the sub bumping into the security enclosure, please let me know.
Ford Bronco Stinger tailgate sub installed, Stinger 700w amp install under driver seat with pics, 6.5 Mabett rear Kickers 20230328_144359
Ford Bronco Stinger tailgate sub installed, Stinger 700w amp install under driver seat with pics, 6.5 Mabett rear Kickers 20230328_144312

I just used a jigsaw to cut around the sub. Took some measurements and marked it off. Didn't take very long, and pretty tight fitting. Originally the top of the enclosure went straight across. I lost a tie down, but otherwise is about the same. Still secured by the same 4 screws, that are only accessed from the inside. The top shelf attaches by the bolts that hold the hard top on, so will be easy to remove if necessary. I have 3rd party one that can be removed by hand.

Sponsored
OP
OP
fallguy

fallguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Shelf came in yesterday, installed today. Fits perfectly, little extra storage space. Going to get a 5x3' cargo net to secure things down with. Lots of places to hook a carabiner, even extra screws that fit in some holes in the event you want to bolt something down. Really happy with it.

Was worried about the 6.5" pods in the rear not working, but just enough room.
Ford Bronco Stinger tailgate sub installed, Stinger 700w amp install under driver seat with pics, 6.5 Mabett rear Kickers 20230419_151539
Ford Bronco Stinger tailgate sub installed, Stinger 700w amp install under driver seat with pics, 6.5 Mabett rear Kickers 20230419_151549
Ford Bronco Stinger tailgate sub installed, Stinger 700w amp install under driver seat with pics, 6.5 Mabett rear Kickers 20230419_150211

Whodat

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

For someone that only added the stinger sub and made no other changes, was that adequate? This base audio system with no sub is terrible. LIke a tin can. Thanks.

Golfsnob

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Base 2 Door, Manual, 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Base
Shelf came in yesterday, installed today. Fits perfectly, little extra storage space. Going to get a 5x3' cargo net to secure things down with. Lots of places to hook a carabiner, even extra screws that fit in some holes in the event you want to bolt something down. Really happy with it.

Was worried about the 6.5" pods in the rear not working, but just enough room.
Ford Bronco Stinger tailgate sub installed, Stinger 700w amp install under driver seat with pics, 6.5 Mabett rear Kickers 20230419_150211
What shelf is that? I have the JCR Offroad one on the way.

OP
OP
fallguy

fallguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
For someone that only added the stinger sub and made no other changes, was that adequate? This base audio system with no sub is terrible. LIke a tin can. Thanks.
I replaced all 6 stock speakers with kickers first, and then the two back 4" with 6.5" with the 200.4 kicker key. So I had pretty decent audio before the sub. The sub was such an improvement, more of an improvement than the other upgrades I did first though in my opinion. Tough choice, but the sub was probably the more impactful upgrade. With the top off though the extra volume from the other speakers is pretty obvious. Upgrading the front two speakers was the most improvement.

I have two 4" kicker speakers with bass blockers on them I had in the back, that I took out and put 6.5's in. Plus a few extra speaker connectors, ordered extra on accident when I upgraded speakers. You are welcome to them if you want them, help out a little bit to better sound.

What shelf is that? I have the JCR Offroad one on the way.
That is the JCR. They make two shelves though, this one and one that is higher. Which did you get?

Golfsnob

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Base 2 Door, Manual, 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Base
I replaced all 6 stock speakers with kickers first, and then the two back 4" with 6.5" with the 200.4 kicker key. So I had pretty decent audio before the sub. The sub was such an improvement, more of an improvement than the other upgrades I did first though in my opinion. Tough choice, but the sub was probably the more impactful upgrade. With the top off though the extra volume from the other speakers is pretty obvious. Upgrading the front two speakers was the most improvement.

I have two 4" kicker speakers with bass blockers on them I had in the back, that I took out and put 6.5's in. Plus a few extra speaker connectors, ordered extra on accident when I upgraded speakers. You are welcome to them if you want them, help out a little bit to better sound.

That is the JCR. They make two shelves though, this one and one that is higher. Which did you get?
I purchased the same (lower) and also have the tailgate table on the way. Shelf should be here Tuesday.
Sponsored