First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer, 2021 Ram 1500 Rebel
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Which modifications are you referring to? I was under the impression that the only changes made were to adhere to safety regulations of the sanctioning body, outside of the upgraded air filter. Maybe I’m just lost
I'm hoping someone here will clear this up. The one that raced was not put together on the assembly line, so that's not as if this win validates the build quality of anything we are going to receive. It has a safety cage, which I can understand is a requirement for the race, but that takes this vehicle even further from anything I'd consider stock. I've also seen upstream in this thread a reference to a different suspension than stock Badlands, but I have not tried to confirm which is the case.

I'm not trying to diminish this victory. It's a great win for Ford, and an awesome showing for a vehicle I am looking forward to having in my driveway in July (BL 2.7 w/33s). I'm just trying to figure out how much of the racing truck I'm actually getting.
Sponsored

wrbix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LR Def90, F250 7.3, Caterham 7, LR Series III, etc
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Interesting comment from Ford Engineer about running race in Baja GOAT mode: “We had some stretches of hard-packed roads that were made for Bronco, topping 100 mph in some of the dry lake beds,” said Groves. “Baja mode was especially helpful in this terrain. It keeps shift points at just the right rpm to keep the turbos spooled up so power is there when you need it and brakes are more aggressive to slow quickly for rough terrain.”

I did not know that brake response is is one of the features adjusted based on the GOAT Mode?
Yeah, it’ll be interesting to see what all changes.
Especially with manual transmission - will RPM drop between upshifts change with different modes?

NotaVegetarian

Badlands
First Name
Nota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1978 Bronco, 1979 Bronco, F250 Super Crew
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Oh my bad! I forgot you zoomers are all used to getting trophies for everything. Sorry for disrupting your safe space with expectations and standards.
Hahahaha kick to the lower ball joints, needs new shocks now.

Sponsored

NotaVegetarian

Badlands
First Name
Nota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1978 Bronco, 1979 Bronco, F250 Super Crew
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Why has this not been moved to the off-road race threads

Last edited:

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm hoping someone here will clear this up. The one that raced was not put together on the assembly line, so that's not as if this win validates the build quality of anything we are going to receive. It has a safety cage, which I can understand is a requirement for the race, but that takes this vehicle even further from anything I'd consider stock. I've also seen upstream in this thread a reference to a different suspension than stock Badlands, but I have not tried to confirm which is the case.

I'm not trying to diminish this victory. It's a great win for Ford, and an awesome showing for a vehicle I am looking forward to having in my driveway in July (BL 2.7 w/33s). I'm just trying to figure out how much of the racing truck I'm actually getting.
A roll cage in this instance I’m pretty sure has nothing to do with it’s base build, it’s a safety thing required by NORRA, I’m fairly certain. I would think the race seats with a 5 point harness would be in the same realm. An increased capacity air cleaner is the only real thing I have seen that would/could create any real difference.
These were the only things I’ve seen that were changed/added. But I’m not saying more wasn’t done.

side note: I once designed and built an air filter system for our military... they were for the huge generators they were using in the Middle East, not for the Diesel engines, but the actual generator... the sand was getting into it and shredding the armature in the motor... all that is to say, I can understand the need for a bigger filtration system.

I've also built an IHRA certified Pro Mod chassis... and yeah there are tons of rules to race sanctioning bodies.

Last edited:

rtsherry73

Outer Banks
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Excuse me if this has been discussed in the last 7 pages (Which I think is AWESOME that there are so many diverse opinions- We should have a Party!) but I find it interesting they did not use a Wild Track (With Sasq 35" tires) but used a BadLands (With 33" tires) instead. Considering they were "Baja" running (High Speed) Isn't that what the WT was designed for? I bet the Engineers figured the 35" WT tire would cause more wear and damage on suspension and frame components. I'm thinking those of you going BL with 33" are smart people.

rtsherry73

Outer Banks
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Also interesting they used a 4 door instead of a 2 door. The 2 door would have a better break-over angle, and be lighter (Faster). However, the 4 door with the longer wheelbase would have more high speed stability...and could carry more gear. Or maybe they just had a bagged-out 4 door test mule lying around, and welded up the cage at night while drinking warm beer.

Sponsored

Ponyup

Badlands
First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60, Nissan Armada, CX-3, Bronco ordered
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Stayed away from the Sasquatch build and went 33's, glad I did it. It's capable and Baja legit and I have a June 21 build date. All good here.

Bullitt

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2001 Bullitt Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
And that factory spare stayed on for 5 days of racing. Think of the jumps and bumps that thing took.

There were doubters on that spare staying on without extra support...I think this proves that all will be fine with the spare back there.

colintrax

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Colorado, Ford Explorer, KTM 890 ADV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was wondering, are these " Dana 44 AdvanTEK M220 rear axle and M210 independent front suspension with Spicer Performa-Trak electronic lockers. " what come on the stock Badlands or are they different then what a cutomer would get with his badlands order? I'm not super knowledgeable on axel and locker stuff like this. If this is what a Bad Land gets I will deffinately make my self smarter with some research on it. Thanks in advance.
Yeah thats the stock suspension and axles. It was a stock bronco outside the mandatory safety harness and roll cage.
Sponsored