Sponsored

Stripped rear upper shock mount bolt (help)

RainbowStix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
UPDATE: Mobile mechanic had to come to get it out. I didn’t see exactly how he did it but I did hear some banging and he suggested the easy out bit set

Trying to take the rear Hitachi shocks off the bronco to do @BigMeatsBronco stubby bump stop mod and ran into a snag with one of the upper shock mount bolts..

it was pretty stripped when I started (had a lift installed prior so not sure if this was from factory or the shop that did it) and I’m pretty sure I stripped it more trying different wrenches, vice grips and even a hammer chisel combo.

any help would be appreciated, thank you y’all
Ford Bronco Stripped rear upper shock mount bolt (help) F1018CC8-041E-438C-B395-7324841CC37F
!
Ford Bronco Stripped rear upper shock mount bolt (help) 30AF7C88-60EA-4629-99F9-C179CA0A9FB7

Ford Bronco Stripped rear upper shock mount bolt (help) 74C9AE7C-690E-490F-968C-FBE3E6A09FD2
Sponsored

Last edited:

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Vice grips should take care of that. They aren't on there too tight. Maybe a bigger pair if what you had didn't work or make sure it is really tight. Should be difficult to clamp on.
Is it half way off already? No threads showing. Maybe the bolt is spinning with the nut? Is it turning at all?

Last edited:
OP
OP

RainbowStix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Vice grips should take care of that. They aren't on there too tight. Maybe a bigger pair if what you had didn't work or make sure it is really tight. Should be difficult to clamp on.
Is it half way off already? No threads showing. Maybe the bolt is spinning with the nut? Is it turning at all?
The bolt didn’t move a centimeter afaik, just keeps stripping my tools, ha. Will try to get bigger vice grips!

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Did any of the nuts have any of the bolt showing on top? There should be at least a couple threads above the nut.

OP
OP

RainbowStix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did any of the nuts have any of the bolt showing on top? There should be at least a couple threads above the nut.
I didn’t see any of the threads showing above the other nuts before they came off… they all looked the same as this one
Ford Bronco Stripped rear upper shock mount bolt (help) CB532E12-A51C-4FB4-A351-1818132DD292

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What lift did the shop install? Makes me wonder how many threads those nuts are on if you didn't see any bolt above the nut.

OP
OP

RainbowStix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What lift did the shop install? Makes me wonder how many threads those nuts are on if you didn't see any bolt above the nut.
The icon 3” spacer kit, think it’s a 1.25” top hat with 3/4” preload. I’m not sure how tight that bolt is because I just picked up a set of 10” curved claw milwaukees and its stripping the teeth…
Ford Bronco Stripped rear upper shock mount bolt (help) 21502FB9-9867-4582-8A31-E4FA9210010A

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hmmmm. I guess it's time for some heat. Heat the nut just enough to expand it and it should come off. Got a small flame you can put to it?

OP
OP

RainbowStix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hmmmm. I guess it's time for some heat. Heat the nut just enough to expand it and it should come off. Got a small flame you can put to it?
First time I’ve stripped vice grips... They don’t strip due to improper operation or something right?

I don’t have a blowtorch but would a heat gun work?

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks like a bolt more so than a nut on a stud. If that’s the case, the heat needs to be applied to the piece it’s bolting into more than the bolt itself.

Sponsored
OP
OP

RainbowStix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looks like a bolt more so than a nut on a stud. If that’s the case, the heat needs to be applied to the piece it’s bolting into more than the bolt itself.
It is indeed a bolt! I just got what kodiak was referring to when he said threads should be showing, I believe Icon swapped the factory mounting hardware for bolts with washers..

https://images.iconfigurators.app/pdf/Icon_Dynamics/IVD4300_REVB.pdf

Will apply some heat to the top of the coilover bucket and see how that pans out, so far heating the bolt to 80c and putting the vice grips on it hasn’t panned out as it’s still slipping off/stripping vice grip teeth

605101 3/8-16 X 1.000 HHCS GR8 YZINC
605131 3/8 SPLIT LOCK WASHER GR8 YZINC
Is what the instructions calls for, however there is another flat washer on there as well

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yes, I was completely thinking that was a nut like the factory coilover setup. Not a bolt inserted from the top. If it is hanging by the one bolt, is it possible the coilover is exerting sideward pressure on the bolt causing it to bind to the point it won't turn? Did the other bolts have locktite on them? Heat probably wouldn't be good in this case as that would cause the bolt to expand and be more of a problem.

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yep… heat the aluminum part… heat gun may work since aluminum is a lot more conductive than the steel, plus it’s expansion rate is double the rate of steel. They may have used thread locker too, so heat will soften that also. Good luck

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

One more suggestion; put the other bolts back in and snug them down, to alleviate some pressure off of the problem bolt.
Sponsored