Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
  • Banned
Structural - Is the roll-bar system part of the body structure?
For example: Is is possible to delete the roll bar, and even cut off the B & C Pillars?
We know its body on frame.
* For devil advocates sake, I know there will be some crazy builds in the future.

Ford Bronco STRUCTURAL (What is) 1617644494913

Ford Bronco STRUCTURAL (What is) 1617644565236
Sponsored

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yes, the roll bars are part of the body.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There was a quite heated discussion a while ago where someone came in hot talking about how they were going to remove the factory roll cage and replace it with their own...

...among the insults and insinuations, there was some interesting technical discussions.

If I'm not mistaken, there is some side curtain airbag stuff in either the top bar or the B pillar that would have to be dealt with. (On the jeep the side curtains, at least in my JK, are in the seats.)

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Possible? Yes, a sawzall and some time will take care of most things. A good idea? Probably not unless you have a defined plan to replace it with something more awesome.

Wide Open Roads

Badlands
First Name
Stace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Outback, '57 Alfa Romeo Giulietta, '10 911 C2S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is is possible to delete the roll bar, and even cut off the B & C Pillars?
yes, it is possible to cut off B & C pillars, but it will significantly impact rigidity. Are you thinking remove/replace?

Sponsored

toymaster

Badlands
First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have no doubt roll cages will be designed and come along in short order however, the kind of shops that will do this have yet to have access to a Bronco. Let's say they are not really "first tier" suppliers if you will.

I have not had the chance to study the factory roll over protection because all the units I have seen have had tops on them. I can tell a few things from the pictures though.

None of the roll cage is structural, other than the windshield may actually need the support. Cutting out the factory cage will not impact the rigidity of the body. The way I see it the challenge will be integrating the round aftermarket cage to the windshield, B, and C pillars. Trying to match up DOM tubing and squarish sheet metal is going to take some work.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

yes, it is possible to cut off B & C pillars, but it will significantly impact rigidity. Are you thinking remove/replace?
That's what would bother me the most. Even in light to moderate off roading the frame with be stressed, and without the roll bar I would think it would cause to much twisting of the frame. I think I worded that for all to understand. :)

toymaster

Badlands
First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It would appear many have some confusion when it comes to a body-on-frame vs. unibody.

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1967 Ford Bronco, 1993 Turbo Notchback, 2006 Sierra K1500, 2013 Sierra K1500, 2014 Sienna Mini-Van
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

The A, B and C pillars, and the halo surrounding them are all part of the high-strength steel system designed to transfer energy from a collision AROUND the occupants to the other side of the vehicle. Removing some or all of that would increase the forces applied directly to the occupants, but would also reduce secondary damage during a collision I suppose. I have cages in 3 of my vehicles. I will also be looking at a way to incorporate a cage, but will be leaving these strong and purposeful components, and the airbag systems in place.

OP
OP
Lorenzo

Lorenzo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I personally don't have the budget to build a toy with a new Bronco.
Its just for discussion, curious because of some of the recent concepts showing up from Jeep and foreseeing what is to come at SEMA etc.

Sponsored

Bronco2021RV

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura rdx
Your Bronco Model
Base
The A, B and C pillars, and the halo surrounding them are all part of the high-strength steel system designed to transfer energy from a collision AROUND the occupants to the other side of the vehicle. Removing some or all of that would increase the forces applied directly to the occupants, but would also reduce secondary damage during a collision I suppose. I have cages in 3 of my vehicles. I will also be looking at a way to incorporate a cage, but will be leaving these strong and purposeful components, and the airbag systems in place.
This would be very cool. Hopefully you can post pics when you’re done . I plan to be on this site for a long time .

Coldsmoke

Badlands
First Name
Knuckles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Structural - Is the roll-bar system part of the body structure?
For example: Is is possible to delete the roll bar, and even cut off the B & C Pillars?
We know its body on frame.
* For devil advocates sake, I know there will be some crazy builds in the future.

What I find amusing is that you are asking this type of question on a forum of people who don't own a Bronco yet, haven't personally seen one yet (except for a limited few), don't have any first hand knowledge of the design characteristics of the Bronco or it's roll bar, and don't work for Ford as structural engineers, ( I doubt any Ford employees who are on this forum would be able to disclose any meaningful information anyway).
Because of the above, what you are going to get is a lot of conjecture, guesses masquerading as knowledge, and opinions.
Good luck with whatever info you get in response to your question but I wouldn't recommend going out to buy a cutting torch just yet until you get some data that is a bit more definitive. :unsure:

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What I find amusing is that you are asking this type of question on a forum of people who don't own a Bronco yet, haven't personally seen one yet (except for a limited few), don't have any first hand knowledge of the design characteristics of the Bronco or it's roll bar, and don't work for Ford as structural engineers, ( I doubt any Ford employees who are on this forum would be able to disclose any meaningful information anyway).
Because of the above, what you are going to get is a lot of conjecture, guesses masquerading as knowledge, and opinions.
Good luck with whatever info you get in response to your question but I wouldn't recommend going out to buy a cutting torch just yet until you get some data that is a bit more definitive. :unsure:
Mike drop. 😄

OP
OP
Lorenzo

Lorenzo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I dunno I think there are a bunch of smart people on here.... Who have done research and have seen the Bronco in person, the chassis, and analyzed it. I also think there are people on here with companies making accessories, that have early access to CAD and have already developed parts. For example all the parts that were on display at the Easter rally from RTR Vehicles, ARB 4x4 Accessories, and 4 Wheel Parts.

I guess you feel all the team members in those companies and the fans on this site are just idiots.

tenor.gif
Sponsored