Sponsored

Sturdy prop for soft top back window (to drive with back window raised)?

BandofEskimoBrothers

Black Diamond
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

GotGOAT

Wildtrak
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

SigSauer226

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Ford Mustang Fastback, 2011 Ford Mustang G
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

He's talking about keeping the soft top in this mode while driving:

bronco soft top.jpg
Why? What purpose? Just so fishing rods can stick out? Surely there are other ways. I had mine packed with camping gear and the rods sat on top of everything.

hellahella

Badlands
First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I run a charter boat and carry a load of stuff
Take the windows off maybe? If that doesnā€™t work, use a Bimini top for Sun protection, if that doesnā€™t work, take the top off completely, if that doesnā€™t work get the Lightning. I heard they have a ā€˜frunkā€™.

Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm confused. What are you trying to do? I have the soft top. I either drive with the first section just flipped back or I take out the 3 back windows and the whole top goes down around the cargo area.

Why would you just want the back cargo area raised while driving?

If it's to get ventilation (which I don't think would be different than just having the top flipped back) just remove it... Takes all of 5 seconds.

Same answer if it's for storage that won't fit. Just remove it.

Unless I'm totally missing the point which is possible....

We went camping and brought fishing rods. They just laid from the cargo area out above the back seats and had no problem with the top down. Would have been fine with the top up too.
The OP has fishing rods that either are too long to fit inside the vehicle or for whatever other reason does not want to install rod holders on the front modular bumper as is done on fishing vehicles in Kitty Hawk and Duck (the real OBX)

The problem is the rear window is not a zip in zip out - there is no way to access the back without lifting the entire back and sides - (to me that will be a pain while I wait on an aftermarket hard roof)

OP
OP
Capt steve

Capt steve

Big Bend
First Name
Stephan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Why? What purpose? Just so fishing rods can stick out? Surely there are other ways. I had mine packed with camping gear and the rods sat on top of everything.
i donā€™t want to drive with the top up as it is here. All I need is clearance so I can lay the rod tips on the top of the gate. As an example,tomorrow I will be taking a dozen offshore rods with 50 wide reels, 6 jigging rods and reels and 4 heavy spinning rods we use for tuna fishing off the boat For this season. These are not the kinds of rods the you take camping believe me! That would take a hell of a lot of those vertical rod holders to do the job. The problem isnā€™t the height of the soft top, itā€™s the fact that it would bounce around and perhaps damage the rods. I have thought of using a wedge or spacer on each side of the top that would allow the clearance without damaging the rods. Maybe a strip of Velcro to hold the top down to the spacer. It is the only reason that I originally opted for the hardtop until the mic fiasco. I appreciate the suggestions and Iā€™ll bet that Iā€™ll figure out a way to make it happen. i also often carry several coolers of ice for the fish we catch totaling 100-160 qts, but I have that figured out.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So Iā€™m sitting here thinking. A problem for me is the ability to drive with the soft top back window raised. I want to put rods,etc with the tips out the back to transport them to my boat. The prop that is provided on the top will not keep the window up if you hi rough roads or even a bump. I saw the after market hood support and figured that something like that might work. Anyone else been thinking of this?
This is a joke, right?

SigSauer226

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Ford Mustang Fastback, 2011 Ford Mustang G
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

i donā€™t want to drive with the top up as it is here. All I need is clearance so I can lay the rod tips on the top of the gate. As an example,tomorrow I will be taking a dozen offshore rods with 50 wide reels, 6 jigging rods and reels and 4 heavy spinning rods we use for tuna fishing off the boat For this season. These are not the kinds of rods the you take camping believe me! That would take a hell of a lot of those vertical rod holders to do the job. The problem isnā€™t the height of the soft top, itā€™s the fact that it would bounce around and perhaps damage the rods. I have thought of using a wedge or spacer on each side of the top that would allow the clearance without damaging the rods. Maybe a strip of Velcro to hold the top down to the spacer. It is the only reason that I originally opted for the hardtop until the mic fiasco. I appreciate the suggestions and Iā€™ll bet that Iā€™ll figure out a way to make it happen. i also often carry several coolers of ice for the fish we catch totaling 100-160 qts, but I have that figured out.
Ok. What about like a few pieces of 6 inch PVC pipe to lay the rods in. The top will bounce on that instead of the rods.

Lagrange 6g

Black Diamond
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 f250 2014 landcruiser 1978 cj5
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm actually very interested in this. Also, I'm looking for an aftermarket option to keep the hood propped all the way up while driving? For ventilation and what not...
Just tie a bungy cord to the top and to one of the rear cargo d rings that should keep the prop stick that holds rear section of top open engaged

Sponsored
OP
OP
Capt steve

Capt steve

Big Bend
First Name
Stephan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Just tie a bungy cord to the top and to one of the rear cargo d rings that should keep the prop stick that holds rear section of top open engaged
Iā€™ll test that out. Thanks

ColonelAngus

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 07 BMW 335i, 05 Saab 9-5 Aero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is one of those times where I wish I could use my facebook tag groups.... such as....

O.P. is the reason we need Takata airbags

O.P. eats corn on the cob long ways

O.P. you fucking pinecone

sorry/not sorry

Kmcran

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Iā€™ll test that out. Thanks
I feel like the easiest option is removing the windows and sticking them in the backseat. then you can replace them once you load all the gear on the boat. I figure if weather is good enough to fish then it's good enough for no windows.

OP
OP
Capt steve

Capt steve

Big Bend
First Name
Stephan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I feel like the easiest option is removing the windows and sticking them in the backseat. then you can replace them once you load all the gear on the boat. I figure if weather is good enough to fish then it's good enough for no windows.
You have a point there sir!!

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just fold back the front part of the top and put your rods up through there, it will still look odd, but it shouldn't be illegal (assuming the rods aren't so long they'll hit stuff overhead, lol)
Sponsored