Sponsored

Sub 2k lb camp trailer to tow with Bronco?

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I am very interested in something like this. It’s around 2900 lbs gross weight.. would that be too heavy? They’re under 15k and have a full bathroom!

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2021-Coachmen-CLIPPER-17CFQ-5012895019
2900lbs GVWR likely wouldn't be too heavy, depending on what you had in the Bronco, but unfortunately that listing is inaccurate. Go to the Coachmen website and you'll see that's actually the dry weight and GVWR is much more.

Screenshot_20200903-055257.png
Sponsored

OP
OP
tokyo

tokyo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
siennavenzasparkXDfit
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

After owning several camp trailers I can say by the time you get them ready to use they are much heavier than the listed dry weight.

That is why I am targeting <2k lbs .. to be able to get it usable and still stay comfortably under the 3,500 lbs.

Danager

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You said no pop-up... Have you considered a hard wall A-liner? Now that my kids don’t camp with us, there is no need for the 30’ trailer. Also no need for a pickup to tow that beast.
I have been looking into this, and these are a serious contender. I plan to mount a rack to hold the canoe and a couple mountain bikes.

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4DR Badlands and a couple of Acuras
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had my eyes on the E-Pro 16BH but I think it will be pushing it once loaded.

Now I'm looking at the camp365... but the $30k price tag will be a hard pill to swallow. Until I find something that works for my family of four that is reasonably priced, I will continue to tent camp.

fergthulhu

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands, '21 Ranger Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You said no pop-up... Have you considered a hard wall A-liner? Now that my kids don’t camp with us, there is no need for the 30’ trailer. Also no need for a pickup to tow that beast.
I have been looking into this, and these are a serious contender. I plan to mount a rack to hold the canoe and a couple mountain bikes.
The Aliners with the hard-side dormers are a serious contender for me. I like some of the smaller teardrop designs better, but for now I still need room for a third person (my son) so these seem like a step up from our usual tent camping.

Sponsored

Eggsalad

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 V8 4Runner 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
After owning several camp trailers I can say by the time you get them ready to use they are much heavier than the listed dry weight.

That is why I am targeting <2k lbs .. to be able to get it usable and still stay comfortably under the 3,500 lbs.
If you're targeting a hardside with separate bed and dinette you'll be close to 3k lbs dry. There's just no way around it. So, loaded, you're close to the Bronco 3500lb tow capacity, tongue weight, and the Bronco GCWR/GVWR. There's plenty of lighter trailers that the Bronco ClassII hitch can handle but with lesser to non-existent comforts of home.
Scamp, Casita we looked at those. Depending on the model they have some comforts of home in a lighweight.
Not bad. Still have to look at the Bronco's ability to tow it loaded.
Ridiculous price for what you get.
I've seen a few that may be a good fit for the Bronco to tow:

1. Lance Campers 1575 (this may be cutting the weight close)
https://www.lancecamper.com/travel-trailers/1575/

2. Off Grid Trailers - Expedition 2.0
We looked at Lance and liked them immensely. The 1475 is pretty dang nice also.
I am very interested in something like this. It’s around 2900 lbs gross weight.. would that be too heavy? They’re under 15k and have a full bathroom!

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2021-Coachmen-CLIPPER-17CFQ-5012895019
Meh.
How about this:

https://trailmanor.com/2518series/

or

https://aliner.com/ascape-campers/

or

https://www.braxtoncreek.com/model/bushwhacker-plus-teardrop - just over 2k pounds but are listed at 13K brand new. Couple different floor plans.
Trailmanor's are nice units, owned a 2619. 20 minute setup and breakdown. Huge interior when expanded, but you can't use the bathroom on the road when closed up. A-liner also can't use the bathroom on the road.

It comes down to the Bronco 4-dr doesn't have enough tow capacity for a small hardside, non-folding travel trailer that has reasonable comforts of home.

phnttom

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Audi TTS, '13 Fiat 500 Turbo, '15 VW Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I'm doing a semi-custom Teardrop.
- Habitat/sleeping area without kitchen by: Northern Teardrop Trailers
- Custom chassis with matching tires and Timbren suspension by: Treadhead Garage
- I will do the custom galley myself.

Estimated weight +-/ 1200lbs
Estimated cost: $20k CDN

The image is the first of this combo. It's owned by the Owners of Treadhead Garage and they had the habitat also built by Northern Teardrop. Northern Teardrop makes only 24 units a year.

Ford Bronco Sub 2k lb camp trailer to tow with Bronco? IMG_1416

jalapenopete

Base
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Sahara
Your Bronco Model
Base
Not hard sided, but under 1500 lbs fully packed with all our stuff, 2 bunks, table, plenty of space between bunks. We carry bikes and canoe/kayak on top. We also have a separate screen room and a shower tent to complete our setup when doing extended stays. We're pretty comfy in it. We also use it as a utility trailer when not camping and it fits in the garage!
https://www.sylvansport.com/go/
Pic is of ours in the Florida Keys with our JLU Sahara.

Ford Bronco Sub 2k lb camp trailer to tow with Bronco? IMG_4573

Last edited:

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Not hard sided, but under 1500 lbs fully packed with all our stuff, 2 bunks, table, plenty of space between bunks. We carry bikes and canoe/kayak on top. We also have a separate screen room and a shower tent to complete our setup when doing extended stays. We're pretty comfy in it. We also use it as a utility trailer when not camping and it fits in the garage!
https://www.sylvansport.com/go/
Pic is of ours in the Florida Keys with our JLU Sahara.

Ford Bronco Sub 2k lb camp trailer to tow with Bronco? IMG_4573
I showed my wife that one yesterday. Getting way ahead of ourselves, but it looks like a great option due to its multiple uses which would be nice. Plus it's not insanely expensive.

Sponsored

jalapenopete

Base
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Sahara
Your Bronco Model
Base
I showed my wife that one yesterday. Getting way ahead of ourselves, but it looks like a great option due to its multiple uses which would be nice. Plus it's not insanely expensive.
yeah and its built like a tank. we really like it.

TNFlyrodder

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looking for hard-sided (non pop-up) camp trailers. Preferably with bed and table separate.. so don't need to get out of bed to set up the table. So I can sleep in while wifey gets up early and eats..

These are pricey but living the empty nester life I think they might fit the bill for my intended use..

https://safaricondo.com/en/travel-trailers-alto-serie-r-1713/
I suggest you take a look at the NuCamp T@B 320S Boondock.
Ford Bronco Sub 2k lb camp trailer to tow with Bronco? 2021-Boondock-TAB-320

Wolperdinger

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tacoma TRD Offroad
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The OPUS campers are fantastic. I get the hesitation to go pop up, but these really are great, and HUGE inside considering the weight.

HuskerJen47

Big Bend
First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
That is not a camper....this is a camper (in my best Crocodile Dundee impression). ?

Coming in at approx. 2,100 lbs.

mkennedy009

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Triumph Bonneville T100 110th Anniversary
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

At 60K Aus, I will have to sell my children, dog, motorcycles and take out a 15 year loan.

It is a beautiful trailer and very well designed. I should have married a wealthy woman.

That is not a camper....this is a camper (in my best Crocodile Dundee impression). ?

Coming in at approx. 2,100 lbs.
Sponsored