Sponsored

Subjective red flags I see... now that I've had some time to let the hype settle in...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tn3sport

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 4x4, BMW, Mustang, several adventure bikes
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is subjective.... Hope I don't offend anyone.
Was really excited to see the release of the new Bronco. So far, Ford has not disappointed...
However, its been a few weeks and the hangover is gone....

Some real observations:
- Are 4 doors for posers? I see 4 door jeep owners riding around with the doors off taking the kids to soccer practice and PTA meetings.... Is the real Bronco a 2 door and the 4 door for posers???
- Its small... I have a 2009 body on frame Ford Explorer 4x4 that has been bulletproof for 220,000 miles (except for those crappy plastic waternecks that connect the radiator hose to the block....I've had no significant repairs.) The Explorer is actually larger than the 4 door Bronco. My mountain bike fits inside the Explorer without removing the wheels. New tech in MTB is called Boost hubs. Its not as easy to remove the wheels on new tech bikes. I like being able to just toss my bike in the Explorer with no mods. Will I be able to do the same in the Bronco?
- Ground clearance is the same as the body on frame versions of the Explorer and the Bronco.
- Approach and departure are significantly better on the Bronco. Bronco is clearly the winner offroad. Which is good as I'm an overlander and motocamper.
- Turning radius on the Explorer is awesome. I can park and get in and out of anywhere....subcompact parking spots? no problem. Pissing off Prius owners is a right of pride. Bronco, will you have a good turning radius or will you make U-Turns like a corvette???
- Small engine options have me concerned. Ever heard the saying "There's no replacement for displacement" 2.7liter is the largest option??? really???
- towing - body on frame Explorer wins by nearly double at 6,000 pounds. Bronco 3,500... Hmm. why?
- Cost - I know I drive an old 2009, but its been paid for 10 years now.... New Badlands I have specd with Lux, and Sasquatch, and options will hit $60k.
- Cool factor - duh. Bronco is badass. Body on frame Explorer is dated....

I'm 99% in on committing to the Bronco and it will be awesome. Just some observations now that the hangover has warn off. Anyone else have any "concerns" with the new Bronco?
Sponsored

Aggro

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Some real observations:
- Are 4 doors for posers? I see 4 door jeep owners riding around with the doors off taking the kids to soccer practice and PTA meetings.... Is the real Bronco a 2 door and the 4 door for posers???
You lost me here. Are Wrangler and Bronco owners supposed to abandon their families to live in the woods?

I think you're taking this whole 'Sasquatch' thing a little too far :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
tn3sport

tn3sport

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sounds like someone can’t afford the 4door
Given I asked for your observations/concerns, I assume you're talking about yourself.
Sorry to hear that. Keep working and save up your money.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Sounds like someone can’t afford the 4door
Some of us have prior reasons for the 4dr that have since moved out on their own. Some of us didn’t own 4 doors before those reasons came about (through our own making), and would like to go back to 2 doors.

Sponsored

RubyRuin

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm trying to understand how you go from this:
This is subjective.... Hope I don't offend anyone.
...to this:
...without offending anyone.

MrJoe

Black Diamond
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'73 Bronco (sold), '99 Ram, '08 Explorer, '16 CMax
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have a 08 Explorer with 210,000 miles. Same reliability experience as you describe. I do like the room inside and turning radius. I also have a 73 EB. This new Bronco will hopefully take the place of the EB. I don't expect it to take the place of the Explorer, otherwise I would have set my sights on something different. The Bronco is a different breed. I do hope it doesn't disappoint.

DennisMurray

Black Diamond
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevrolet Equinox
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
2 door or 4 door: I'm choosing 4 because I do want to be able to take my kids cross country and carry gear in the back. There's been 4 door off-road vehicles since the Cherokee XJ and Defender 110.

I actually find a lot of the dimensions of the Bronco 4 door to be...large! But I'm benchmarking against driving an Equinox right now, my wife's Pilot (which is about 6" longer than a Bronco) and classics like the XJ (which the Bronco is much, much larger than). I'm looking at this from the perspective of being able to navigate a narrow trail or turn on a switchback.

Lots of 4wd trucks come in around 8" of ground clearance - check the 4Runner, GX and others.

TheWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Silverado HD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I've been around the Jeep Forums for years and have heard these arguments time and time again. Posers and soccer mom jokes abound. To me "most capable" and "real" are different.

While forums certainly house a disproportionately high percentage of users who actually put the off-road capabilities to the test (and good for you if that's your goal,) the truth is that the VAST majority of these vehicles that Jeep or Ford produces in this narrow segment will never (purposely) venture off the pavement.

And that's ok. It's wrong to ignore the off-road capabilities of the vehicle, but it is also wrong to ignore the fact that this is now just the second current offering of a potential 5 person seating 4x4 with a removable top.

IMO: if you want to take the bronco off-road and put it through its paces, AWESOME! Have fun. But also, if you want to pile it full of kids, and take a ride through the country just to enjoy the sun and wind creating memories with your family while staying comfortably on the road: AWESOME!! have fun.

Valuing the vehicle for a different aspect of its build does not make the user or the vehicle less legitimate. Let's not ignore a significant subset of fellow enthusiasts just because they place more value in a different offering of the same vehicle than we do. Welcome all lovers of these awesome machines.

Mine

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Its all relative:
"I drive a 2-door therefore 4-doors are for posers."
"I drive a manual because I'm a 'real man'"
"Anything less than an old, underpowered, gas sucking, big block V8 is for sissies"

Unless you go with angry eyes or 20" dubs I think you'll be ok.

Sponsored

rjkmoto

Black Diamond
First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Dodge Challenger Hemi 392 Scatpack Shaker, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If your turning radius is good in the Explorer - and you claim the Bronco is smaller - I’m it quite sure where your concern for the turning radius of the Bronco is coming from.

JK

csj

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Tacoma OR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I think the new Bronco is supposed to be sort a specialty vehicle; for those who are adventurous, into participating in sports, hiking, etc., or those that want to appear to be that sort of person. It's supposed to be smaller, more maneuverable. For towing a trailer, family road trips, or going to the mall; that's what the Explorer is for. Personally I look at the 2 door as a VERY specialized vehicle, really going to excel off road, but much less than optimal everywhere else. I personally have never had any interest in the 2 door, but the 4 door, I'm waiting to see all the specs and read the reviews.

SkullsWalk

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 VW GTI 3-Door Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

- Small engine options have me concerned. Ever heard the saying "There's no replacement for displacement" 2.7liter is the largest option??? really???
- towing - body on frame Explorer wins by nearly double at 6,000 pounds. Bronco 3,500... Hmm. why?
There are many threads on here with info on all of this, especially engine size. The TT 2.7L is pretty damn quick and if it's not for you you can tune it.

For your bike, not sure about the 2-door, but the 4-door with the seats down will probably fit it diagonally.

For towing, this thing wasn't designed to be a hauler, again many threads and gripes on here. 3500lbs is the same as the wranglers so I'm sure for the first year that was Ford's benchmark. Maybe it will increase, maybe it won't. But this was designed to be a good offroader, not a tow truck.

Bottom line, I'm nervous about stuff with the Bronco since chances are I won't get to see it before I order and I'll be buying out of state, etc. Still going back and forth on 4-door vs 2-door as well. From the sound of it though, not sure if the bronco will meet your needs if it's too tiny.

OP
OP
tn3sport

tn3sport

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm trying to understand how you go from this:

...to this:

...without offending anyone.
Its a question, not a statement. What's your answer?

BTW, I was a jeep owner when the first 4 door jeep came out. It was not well received by the owners groups that demanded things like All jeeps having only round headlights and only 7 slats in the Jeep grill. There was some push-back on the 4 door as it transposed the image of a classic offroad rugged vehicle to a mere "grocery getter" My question is what are your thoughts in regards to the new 4 Door bronco. The original classic only had two.... (full disclosure: I've ordered two 4 door Broncos)
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.