Sponsored

Subjective red flags I see... now that I've had some time to let the hype settle in...

Status
Not open for further replies.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
People who say that the 4dr Jeep's and broncos aren't real jeep/broncos are just gatekeeping, it doesn't matter not will it ever, I might hate it when I see a full loaded Rubicon 4d thats never even had it's roof off but in the end they are helping support this weird vehicle being made otherwise ford/jeep wouldn't be able to keep making them hell the 4dr jeep saved jeep from being killed off. As for the displacement, it beats out jeep in every way it might not sound as good as a V8 but it's sure as hell gonna go a lot farther than a V8. As for towing it beats out jeep that's what matters, like the thousands of posts made already you can either have a great off-roader or a great tow rig. As for size, I honestly don't know why people complain so much that's it's small, compared to regular car this thing is giant, the only excuse that one can not fit is if you have more than 2 kids other than that you will never find something that will fit.
Also depending on the off-road terrain, sometimes shorter and sometimes longer wheelbase does better. So 4-door is not by definition a poser vehicle. Some people prefer the longer wheelbase for the type of off-road terrain they mostly encounter.

I can say in my very short wheelbase CJ-5, sometimes it was great in terms of maneuvering. But sometimes climbing up or down a hill, depending on the terrain ... yikes!

I will say though - some people really do buy a vehicle based on the functionalities they will use for real. They buy a vehicle with removable top, or diff locks, sway bar disconnect, etc ... because they have a real not imagined use for those functionalities. Probably there is a bit of a disconnect between those two types of people (imagined use vs real use).

But in the end we each kind of need each other, else Ford is probably not making money on a Bronco only purchased by smaller number of customers who really have a use for those functionalities.
Sponsored

BigAl

Base
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So, are all of you guys that are defending the 2.3 and 2.7 liter engine choices willing to go on record that you would NOT consider a larger displacement engine if Ford made it available?

The Bronco is not a lightweight vehicle. Doesn't Ford put the 2.3 in the Focus???? A Ford Focus engine in a serious Off-road vehicle??? Longevity and durability matter? Have you researched the 2.3 ecoboost history? Many in the industry consider it to be at its limits, which hurts its reliability.

If Ford releases the Bronco with a 3.0l turbo I think many will jump on board.

Real point of the post is to step back and take an objective look at what is being offered from Ford now that the hype has settled.... Hate to make the comparison, but many of you guys sound like Biden/Harris supporters suggesting we should never question anything....its just perfect as is and I'm supporting it no matter what....
Since I commented on the engines, I'll play

I will go on the record that I would not consider a larger engine if available, because its not what I need. To me the 2.3 presents the best value, the 2.7 would be fun but I don't think its necessary for me. A V8? no way, not paying more for worse gas mileage. The 2.3 is great in the Ranger btw.

All I'm saying is its about what you want or need, if its not either of those things then okay

Love when people say they hate doing something, but do it anyways, eh?

Kinda like when people say "no offense, but.." and then goes onto to saying something offensive like it doesn't count.

:unsure:
tn4.jpg

Reactions: Jdc

Stroopaloop

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GMC canyon all terrain
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This is subjective.... Hope I don't offend anyone.
Was really excited to see the release of the new Bronco. So far, Ford has not disappointed...
However, its been a few weeks and the hangover is gone....

Some real observations:
- Are 4 doors for posers? I see 4 door jeep owners riding around with the doors off taking the kids to soccer practice and PTA meetings.... Is the real Bronco a 2 door and the 4 door for posers???
- Its small... I have a 2009 body on frame Ford Explorer 4x4 that has been bulletproof for 220,000 miles (except for those crappy plastic waternecks that connect the radiator hose to the block....I've had no significant repairs.) The Explorer is actually larger than the 4 door Bronco. My mountain bike fits inside the Explorer without removing the wheels. New tech in MTB is called Boost hubs. Its not as easy to remove the wheels on new tech bikes. I like being able to just toss my bike in the Explorer with no mods. Will I be able to do the same in the Bronco?
- Ground clearance is the same as the body on frame versions of the Explorer and the Bronco.
- Approach and departure are significantly better on the Bronco. Bronco is clearly the winner offroad. Which is good as I'm an overlander and motocamper.
- Turning radius on the Explorer is awesome. I can park and get in and out of anywhere....subcompact parking spots? no problem. Pissing off Prius owners is a right of pride. Bronco, will you have a good turning radius or will you make U-Turns like a corvette???
- Small engine options have me concerned. Ever heard the saying "There's no replacement for displacement" 2.7liter is the largest option??? really???
- towing - body on frame Explorer wins by nearly double at 6,000 pounds. Bronco 3,500... Hmm. why?
- Cost - I know I drive an old 2009, but its been paid for 10 years now.... New Badlands I have specd with Lux, and Sasquatch, and options will hit $60k.
- Cool factor - duh. Bronco is badass. Body on frame Explorer is dated....

I'm 99% in on committing to the Bronco and it will be awesome. Just some observations now that the hangover has warn off. Anyone else have any "concerns" with the new Bronco?
If you're ahead of me on the reservation list, you're right, you should probably cancel. Explorer is the way to go for your lifestyle.
If you're behind me on reservation list, eff it take a chance on bronco. Had a couple 4 door JKUs myself. They were awesome off road. Kept up with all the "real jeeps." ?

Bronco-chris

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord LOL
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I must ask what your age is based on this question alone: Are 4 doors for posers?

Sponsored

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I kind of wish the 4 door Bronco was 6+" longer, mostly in the trunk to get 40-45 cubic feet. With a non-removable top, huge sunroof, plus secondary rear sunroof, and auto rear window. Kind of a cross between an LR4 and a 4Runner...similar to one of their prior renderings.

buckthis

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150, Ford Focus, Buick Enclave, Toyota CH
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I've been around the Jeep Forums for years and have heard these arguments time and time again. Posers and soccer mom jokes abound. To me "most capable" and "real" are different.

While forums certainly house a disproportionately high percentage of users who actually put the off-road capabilities to the test (and good for you if that's your goal,) the truth is that the VAST majority of these vehicles that Jeep or Ford produces in this narrow segment will never (purposely) venture off the pavement.

And that's ok. It's wrong to ignore the off-road capabilities of the vehicle, but it is also wrong to ignore the fact that this is now just the second current offering of a potential 5 person seating 4x4 with a removable top.

IMO: if you want to take the bronco off-road and put it through its paces, AWESOME! Have fun. But also, if you want to pile it full of kids, and take a ride through the country just to enjoy the sun and wind creating memories with your family while staying comfortably on the road: AWESOME!! have fun.

Valuing the vehicle for a different aspect of its build does not make the user or the vehicle less legitimate. Let's not ignore a significant subset of fellow enthusiasts just because they place more value in a different offering of the same vehicle than we do. Welcome all lovers of these awesome machines.
Couldn’t have said it better! But I’m a poser.

Visioneer

Wildtrak
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Paceman JCW
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I've been around the Jeep Forums for years and have heard these arguments time and time again. Posers and soccer mom jokes abound. To me "most capable" and "real" are different.

While forums certainly house a disproportionately high percentage of users who actually put the off-road capabilities to the test (and good for you if that's your goal,) the truth is that the VAST majority of these vehicles that Jeep or Ford produces in this narrow segment will never (purposely) venture off the pavement.

And that's ok. It's wrong to ignore the off-road capabilities of the vehicle, but it is also wrong to ignore the fact that this is now just the second current offering of a potential 5 person seating 4x4 with a removable top.

IMO: if you want to take the bronco off-road and put it through its paces, AWESOME! Have fun. But also, if you want to pile it full of kids, and take a ride through the country just to enjoy the sun and wind creating memories with your family while staying comfortably on the road: AWESOME!! have fun.

Valuing the vehicle for a different aspect of its build does not make the user or the vehicle less legitimate. Let's not ignore a significant subset of fellow enthusiasts just because they place more value in a different offering of the same vehicle than we do. Welcome all lovers of these awesome machines.
Well said! I was actually thinking of how best to reply but stopped as you said it in my mind...perfectly! Different strokes for different folks does not make it wrong, merely promotes diversity.

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4DR Badlands and a couple of Acuras
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had to google this. Apparently bananas are and raspberries also aren't berries!? The world doesn't make sense anymore!
source.gif

Reactions: Jdc

MCG DAWG

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250 Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
- Its small... I have a 2009 body on frame Ford Explorer 4x4 that has been bulletproof for 220,000 miles (except for those crappy plastic waternecks that connect the radiator hose to the block....I've had no significant repairs.) The Explorer is actually larger than the 4 door Bronco. My mountain bike fits inside the Explorer without removing the wheels. New tech in MTB is called Boost hubs. Its not as easy to remove the wheels on new tech bikes. I like being able to just toss my bike in the Explorer with no mods. Will I be able to do the same in the Bronco?
Where you riding MTB in TN? I was hard core road biking and doing a good bit of MTB a few years go in the Chattanooga area. We have a plethora of great MTB options within 30 mins of the Nooga downtown. If you're not from here, it's a great place to spend a weekend and ride.

Sponsored

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4DR Badlands and a couple of Acuras
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Alright... can we get back to where we were before this thread was created?

ActualFeistyBettong-max-1mb.gif

mostly harmless

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 RAM 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Real point of the post is to step back and take an objective look at what is being offered from Ford now that the hype has settled.... Hate to make the comparison, but many of you guys sound like Biden/Harris supporters suggesting we should never question anything....its just perfect as is and I'm supporting it no matter what....
Ok well I guess it’s time to stop feeding the troll...
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.