First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Having a distinct front stage is critical for stereo imaging. Just about every car I built and competed in had no rear speakers at all. Having them would narrow the front stage to the point that there was very little imaging. Impressive systems have most of the attention focussed to the front of the vehicle, and a subwoofer level that is linear to what the front can produce.
Well it sounds ridiculous in the Bronco having all the sound obviously coming from the windshield. This is no competition sound system lmao.
Sponsored

Brianstrange

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 EB , 67 Stang, 77 GMC Motorhome, A6 3.0T, W211
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well it sounds ridiculous in the Bronco having all the sound obviously coming from the windshield. This is no competition sound system lmao.
That's not what I'm suggesting. I'm pointing out that stuffing midrange speakers in the rear, and not solving the problems in the front will net more volume, but a decrease in stereo imaging, which is the foundation of sound quality. I'm sure B&O is better than the stock Ford system, but I doubt it will win a SQ competition. Invest in the soundstage.

LeBronco

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Expedition Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
when you go watch bands, where do you hear the music come from? LMFAO Front Stage, Rear Fill, its not just "a way' it is how ALL music is recorded, played, performed, etc.

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Outback, '79 2G, '89 3G, '92 5G White!
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I went crazy with mine. It's loud AF also. I'm going to add 2 more 8" Marine Towers also.

20210914_164310.jpg

20210914_164231.jpg
Skid plates? We don't need no stinking skid plates. We just blow the rocks out of the way with intense base wave response and drive over the nice gravel...

rutherk1

Badlands
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 4 door Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I went crazy with mine. It's loud AF also. I'm going to add 2 more 8" Marine Towers also.

20210914_164310.jpg

20210914_164231.jpg
haha. Thats awesome. Me 30 years ago would have been all over that.

Sponsored

Brianstrange

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 EB , 67 Stang, 77 GMC Motorhome, A6 3.0T, W211
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
when you go watch bands, where do you hear the music come from? LMFAO Front Stage, Rear Fill, its not just "a way' it is how ALL music is recorded, played, performed, etc.
I'm really at a loss that so few people understand this. The best way I've found to teach people is to have them close their eyes and listen to a home stereo. It doesn't have to be fancy, just a decent setup. Place the chair close to one speaker - off center, then move it to the center. The normal reaction is "Holy shit!" Most never knew that in some recordings, you can even hear instruments move as the player walks on the stage. Most people shift to sound quality at that point. This is why the best systems I've heard had $1500 worth of equipment, and weeks of testing in the vehicle. It's all about making the best of bad conditions.

HardenUp

First Edition
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First Edition 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

So what’s the bottom line in improving the B&O system? Sorry, I’m not a speaker head so I’m not following along. 😂

brianbrn

Wildtrak
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I just added a subwoofer to my Outer Banks w/ LUX & B&O Sounds system. In my opinion, the factory B&O sub is not very good. Perhaps just putting a new speaker in place of the factory sub would work, but I think the problem is more likely in the amp, but you wouldn't know until you tried it. It would be really hard to replace the factory amp, so adding an amp and connecting it to factor sub or aftermarket sub would be just as much work, so i opted for an additional sub. I may eventually tune the 8" factory sub to cover the midrange/higher low range frequencies.

I installed a 600W Alpine amp and a 10" Alpine subwoofer tube. All in about $250-300 with parts and wiring. It sounds incredible, i worked as a custom car audio installer and built several state competition winning vehicles... it's not a competition sound, but sounds great. This is my first post so hopefully this works, i'm adding some pics of the factory sub and wiring.

I used my AUX switch #6 for my remote wire, that way i can turn off the "extra" bass when necessary, without having to have a separate bass control knob. If you haven't wired any of your AUX switches yet, it's pretty easy. The hardest part is the glove box... the wires aren't long enough so getting both hands into the small space to splice them together was tough.

I installed a 8 AWG power wire from an empty battery post > new 40A fuse block > Driver's side firewall (gasketed hole already there, no drilling needed). Ran Power down drivers side under the door jams. Grounded near the amp on a factory grounding post. Installed a LOC from the factory wiring. There are four speaker wires going to the factory sub. My LOC had four speaker inputs. Because I've read that the factory B&O system tones down the subwoofer at higher volumes, I wanted a fuller sound without that downscaling. So i used the speaker wires from the Rear left speaker, and one of the pairs from the subwoofer. Ran RCA's from the LOC to the sub. Connect everything, and good to go. Total install time, about 4.5 hours.

Be very careful removing the rear panels. The clips are tricky. I didn't break any of the main clips, but did break some of the small ones. Putting it back together was not easy, and my softtop closure is tighter now.

Wiring:
screenshot-2021-10-21-130933-png.png

Factory Sub & Amps (blue wires are my subwoofer > LOC splice)
1-jpg.jpg

2-jpg.jpg

4-jpg.jpg

DRIVER REAR Speaker Tie-in
3-jpg.jpg

Sub and amp installed:
6-jpg.jpg

7-jpg.jpg

8-jpg.jpg
I appreciate this info. I'm an audiophile as well and appreciate a sound system that makes me smile. I've got a Lux coming as well and this has been one of the only questions I haven't found answers for. So, Thank you for your feedback!

Ig_bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Awesome post and congrats on the build. I am still waiting for someone to take that wall off who did not have B n O to see if any woofer additions can be done there. Glad you got the sound you wanted.
I was wondering if i have any internal components like the OP (obviously i dont have B&O)Give me a solid 2 hours and some beer... This way if i screw up... i can blame my drunk self.

Sponsored

Ft. Worth Rob

Outer Banks
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X7, Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Agree and competed in IASCA a few times 30-some years and built a bunch of systems for sound quality though maybe the point some would make is the enjoyment of the Bronco can simply benefit from loud and clear sound. Given all the road noise you need to overcome top on or off, the path lengths for speakers in this type of vehicle, hard surface reflections, the nuances of the music get lost.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

20210914_164310.jpg

20210914_164231.jpg
Holy MoFo, you're really gonna test how well the Bronco is put together with that, LOL. Hope nothing falls off!
That would be fun to hear, and I'm also glad you live far far away from me and not next door to me :-D

LordElberon

Outer Banks
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Na
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
They are, but IMO you are bound to snap at least one clip before you're finished, they seem to be held on with a prayer and not much else.
So really you just need to pull on them.