First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Nissan Titan XD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I ordered the Bestop Bimini top literally two days ago through my dealer. They said yesterday it was backordered, then later that day IT ARRIVED! Below is installation/thoughts:

INSTALLATION:

The directions scared me because they only mentioned a hard top, despite the Accessories catalog saying it fit both. But with a little common sense it's not an issue.

Ford Bronco SUCCESS:  First Installed Bronco Bestop Bimini Sun Shade - Pics, Installation Notes, Impressions 2021 Ford Bronco Installed Bestop Bimini Sun Shade 1

In the instructions, this bracket goes on the current hardtop bracket. But, alas, the softop bracket is farther back and different in design. But there is a pre-threaded hole for the bolt in exactly the right place. Crisis averted.

Ford Bronco SUCCESS:  First Installed Bronco Bestop Bimini Sun Shade - Pics, Installation Notes, Impressions 2021 Ford Bronco Installed Bestop Bimini Sun Shade 2

Not sure if you can make it out, but I screwed the back straps to the outside of the speaker bolt. The instructions say to attach it on the inside, but I didn't like the fit. It seems to be designed to go the way I did it. Win for me!

END RESULT:

Ford Bronco SUCCESS:  First Installed Bronco Bestop Bimini Sun Shade - Pics, Installation Notes, Impressions 2021 Ford Bronco Installed Bestop Bimini Sun Shade 3
Ford Bronco SUCCESS:  First Installed Bronco Bestop Bimini Sun Shade - Pics, Installation Notes, Impressions 2021 Ford Bronco Installed Bestop Bimini Sun Shade 4

THOUGHTS:

I had expected it to be easier to take on/off. Apparently, at least one bracket will need to be loosened and a the back straps unlooped from the buckles. 5 minutes maybe?

The front clasps have to be undone and the front part of the Bimini buttoned to itself to shut the top. I'll let you know the ease of that...

UPDATE:

So a trip to town later...

There is a good bit more wind noise at 60 mph, but livable.

Hey, those plastic clips that weren't in the instructions... apparently they are used to keep the extra cord from flapping everywhere. Who knew?

Flapping of the shade is minimal. I wouldn't enjoy the interstate with it on I imagine. But the highway was ok.

It did a good job of cutting down on the sun. Overall did what I hoped in that regard.

UPDATE (2):

The clips went on easier than I thought. I used a key to pry open one half of the plastic clip and slide the other side of the strap in. Then clipped the strap to a tightened part.

Ford Bronco SUCCESS:  First Installed Bronco Bestop Bimini Sun Shade - Pics, Installation Notes, Impressions 20210716_132742-

Ford Bronco SUCCESS:  First Installed Bronco Bestop Bimini Sun Shade - Pics, Installation Notes, Impressions 20210716_132814-

Every strap has a clip to fasten it down. I think it will help flapping.

UPDATE (3):

Update:

I snapped the front to let down the top. A breeze except the snaps to hold it in place don't meet without undoing the front hooks, which in turn makes the front sag. But I just flipped it back without snapping and it's fine. Top goes down without a hitch and latches perfectly.

Ford Bronco SUCCESS:  First Installed Bronco Bestop Bimini Sun Shade - Pics, Installation Notes, Impressions 2021 Ford Bronco Installed Bestop Bimini Sun Shade 5

Ford Bronco SUCCESS:  First Installed Bronco Bestop Bimini Sun Shade - Pics, Installation Notes, Impressions 2021 Ford Bronco Installed Bestop Bimini Sun Shade 6

Ford Bronco SUCCESS:  First Installed Bronco Bestop Bimini Sun Shade - Pics, Installation Notes, Impressions 2021 Ford Bronco Installed Bestop Bimini Sun Shade 7
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Nice.

Any flapping or vibrating against the cage while driving? (I have to stick a small towel between my spiderwebshade and the b pillar crossbar on my Jeep.)

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks great. Thanks for the writeup. Curious how easy it is to undo the front so you can open/close the soft top.

Sponsored
OP
OP
88to21bronco

88to21bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Nissan Titan XD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
So a trip to town later...

Hey, those plastic clips that weren't in the instructions... apparently they are used to keep the extra cord from flapping everywhere. Who knew?

Flapping of the shade is minimal. I wouldn't enjoy the interstate with it on I imagine. But the highway was ok.

It did a good job of cutting down on the sun. Overall did what I hoped in that regard.

OP
OP
88to21bronco

88to21bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Nissan Titan XD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
That looks great! Nice write up. Does the mesh top provide enough shade? Does it cut down on the wind for the backseat?
Also, any fitment issues with those 285/70s?
The tires fit great! Like they were meant for it. I have a 4wp level kit waiting on a friend to help install. I'll update.

OP
OP
88to21bronco

88to21bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Nissan Titan XD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
OP
OP
88to21bronco

88to21bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Nissan Titan XD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Sponsored

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Thanks for sharing. Seems like removing the soft-top would really make this option pop.

Cbiggs

Badlands
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
85 CJ, 94 YJ, 04 JK, 17 Taco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great write up and subsequent responses! This was a must have accessory for me, and it looks to be about what I expected but this post puts the mind at ease. Nice rig, good luck and thanks 🙏.

Ripcurl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DodgeRam 1500 Laramie, HarleyDavidson 48
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sounds like you overrode the directions a couple times, do you think the design isn't quite there yet or was it the possible hard/soft top thing you mention?

How was the upward view from underneath? Enough for passenger sight-seeing in the appropriate geography/landscape? We have some nice vertical views out here going through the Rockies.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Definitely made for top down driving on the beach, around the beach town, on curved roads with views in the mountains, etc. 50 and below driving. But so is a soft top really. (Sunrider fold-back is doable at speed for short periods I guess.)

RhodeIslandRed

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
TD5 Defenders
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Your grass looks great. Someone had to say it.

Sorry you took it that way. The side shot with the trees in the background look like a grove.
Sponsored

Last edited: