wordstew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H3 Hummer, Explorer Sport, BMW R1200C
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looking at a optioned out Badlands and want to some strobes.. Looks like there's gonna be millions of sensors on the vehicle and don't want to impede them by placing a LED strobe too close. Any suggestions for strobe placement location...
Also, any thoughts on modification to the factory lights and makers for off-road and emergency visibility
Sponsored

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Might want to wait and see what Ford offers from the factory. The F150 & Super Duty can currently be ordered with factory strobes.

OP
OP

wordstew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Might want to wait and see what Ford offers from the factory. The F150 & Super Duty can currently be ordered with factory strobes.
good to know...thnx

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looking at a optioned out Badlands and want to some strobes.. Looks like there's gonna be millions of sensors on the vehicle and don't want to impede them by placing a LED strobe too close. Any suggestions for strobe placement location...
Also, any thoughts on modification to the factory lights and makers for off-road and emergency visibility
What's your use case? Plowing? Emergency response? Show car?

tshaw2009

Base
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 Lariat, 2018 Ford Edge Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

He wants to organize the "First Annual Bronco Rave"!
tenor.gif
That's why I asked. I have some experience with upfitting emergency vehicles..

...and come to think of it, I have experience setting up and running a rave too...

...hell...

Maybe I'll just organize the rave.

SHLYGRR

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Elantra GT Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

He’s looking to put strobes on his Bronco....he’s a cop!!! Nobody say anything incriminating.

SHLYGRR

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Elantra GT Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

He wants to organize the "First Annual Bronco Rave"!
Ford Bronco Suggestions for Strobe Placement ame-reaction-when-nintendo-announced-their-new-dlc

ame-reaction-when-nintendo-announced-their-new-dlc.gif
Pretty typical of a rave, but her pacifier and obvious ingestion of hallucinogens is so weird/hilarious.

OP
OP

wordstew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I recently drove the TransAmerica trail Boston to Vegas and back.
I have strobes mounted front and rear on my H3 Hummer.
Used them much more than I thought I would, at times driving with other vehicles down dusty/foggy roads was the only way I could be seen by the folks behind me.
Had to pull over to roadside many times on the trip for various reasons... the added visibility of strobes made it that much safer

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I recently drove the TransAmerica trail Boston to Vegas and back.
I have strobes mounted front and rear on my H3 Hummer.
Used them much more than I thought I would, at times driving with other vehicles down dusty/foggy roads was the only way I could be seen by the folks behind me.
Had to pull over to roadside many times on the trip for various reasons... the added visibility of strobes made it that much safer
Alright, well then I'm going to split my answer into two parts, but first:

Ford Bronco Suggestions for Strobe Placement giphy

1. Remember that flashy lights can do more harm than good.

In many cases the vehicle's 4-way hazard lights are safer and actually more effective. They are understood by the general motoring public as to what they mean and indicate. Flashing lights that are too bright or flash rapidly or in a disordered pattern can easily diminish another driver's ability to clearly see, identify, triangulate, and track the vehicle that is displaying them. Other drivers don't always know how to safely react to and around flashing lights and can cause more dangerous situations than the one that originally existed.

Police car with strobes on the side of the road: People slow and rubber neck... they rear-end the car in front of them or sideswipe the emergency vehicle.

Police car with hazard lights on the side of the road: People ignore it and drive normally.

Additionally, anyone with experience with sand storms in the south west know that the safest thing to do is pull off the road and turn *off* all lights... so people don't think you're where the road is and drive into you.

Lastly, familiarize yourself with MGL Ch 90 Sec 7e and make sure you are within the law.

I say all this not to be a buzzkill. I have a lot of experience spec'ing and operating all types of emergency vehicles, and the use cases you described are situations where I would probably still just use the 4-way hazard lights over any flashy bits installed on the vehicle.

2. Here's what I would go with in your use case:

For the bronco, either a yellow throw strobe for the roof just when you need it:

Beacons.html

Or a pair of small surface mounts on the mirror arms facing forward and rear corner plastic panels below the brake lights facing rearward. The rear plastic panels appear to cover the BLISS sensors, so you'd have to be mindful of those if they are present. Sync the light heads together and to flash slowly, or with a large percentage of time either steady on or steady off (so, minimally flashing). Set these lights to flash TOGETHER to simulate the way hazard lights work

Think about USPS trucks making mailbox runs slowly on the side of the road, and the type of flashing lights they have.

https://www.strobesnmore.com/Strobes-N-More-Photon-Next-Gen-LED.html

https://www.strobesnmore.com/Surface-Star-Next-Generation-Self-Contained-LED.html

You're from MA, so think about how MSP run their emergency lights. While *responding* to an emergency and requesting the right-of-way, the lights flash rapidly. Driver's know to pull over and stop. When they are stopped at the incident, the flashing lights slow or even go steady-burn, sometimes at a diminished intensity, to indicate a stationary hazard that should be given some space or may be in the way.

It's the latter effect that you'd want to achieve.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

wordstew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Alright, well then I'm going to split my answer into two parts:

1. My cringe.

giphy.gif

Familiarize yourself with MGL Ch 90 Sec 7e and make sure you are within the law. Remember that flashy lights can do more harm than good.

In many cases the vehicle's 4-way hazard lights are safer and actually more effective. They are understood by the general motoring public as to what they mean and indicate. Flashing lights that are too bright or flash rapidly or in a disordered pattern can easily diminish another driver's ability to clearly see, identify, triangulate, and track the vehicle that is displaying them. Other drivers don't always know how to safely react to and around flashing lights and can cause more dangerous situations than the one that originally existed.

I say this not to be a buzzkill. I have a lot of experience spec'ing and operating emergency vehicles, and the use cases you described are situations where I would still just use the 4-way hazard lights over any flashy bits installed on the vehicle.

Additionally, anyone with experience with sand storms in the south west know that the safest thing to do is pull off the road and turn *off* all lights... so people don't think you're where the road is and drive into you.

2. Now, with that out of the way, here's what I would go with in your case:

For the bronco, either a yellow throw strobe for the roof just when you need it:

Beacons.html

Or a pair of small surface mounts on the mirror arms facing forward and rear corner plastic panels below the brake lights facing rearward:

https://www.strobesnmore.com/Strobes-N-More-Photon-Next-Gen-LED.html

https://www.strobesnmore.com/Surface-Star-Next-Generation-Self-Contained-LED.html
Refrain from your cringe
Not gonna elaborate here but I am very well familiar with the MGLs including 540 CMR 22.06...
I agree Slow Steady Burn=safe
I may go with one of your suggestions...Thnx

PS: I doubt if Ford is asking for permits in order to get the strobe package for The F150 & Super Duty. Alot of folks who display/mount/activate strobes/flashers don't fall within the CMR exemptions and never get the required permit.... Insert "CRINGE" now if so desired

Last edited:

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Refrain from your cringe
FYI: I am very well familiar with the MGLs including 540 CMR 22.06...
I may go with one of your suggestions...Thnx
The fact that you quoted the amber CMR tells me you aren't just some 17 year old looking to pimp his 1997 corolla to impress the ladies... which was my main concern initially.

My recommendations on the specific lights and placements stand. I'm looking at the same thing for myself.

(Also, I was initially going to mention that technically the CMR requires an Amber permit... but I've never seen on in my career... ;) )

(also also, not too many R1200C's left. Take good care of it.)

(also also also, considering the people that may see this thread in the future, I wanted to answer not just to you, but to those other people that may come here in the future via the search bar)

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The rear mounting location I'm eyeing is the apparent plastic panel below the rear brake lights. Should provide a good wide surface with easy access for wiring, and options as far as aiming.

The black box there is suspected to be the BLISS sensor. Still looks like there's plenty of room around it for a small surface mount light.

Ford Bronco Suggestions for Strobe Placement 2021 Bronco assembly line plant 21

Ford Bronco Suggestions for Strobe Placement Base Bronco Iconic Silver Steel Wheels 2

Last edited:
OP
OP

wordstew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The fact that you quoted the amber CMR tells me you aren't just some 17 year old looking to pimp his 1997 corolla to impress the ladies... which was my main concern initially.

My recommendations on the specific lights and placements stand. I'm looking at the same thing for myself.

(Also, I was initially going to mention that technically the CMR requires an Amber permit... but I've never seen on in my career... ;) )

(also also, not too many R1200C's left. Take good care of it.)

(also also also, considering the people that may see this thread in the future, I wanted to answer not just to you, but to those other people that may come here in the future via the search bar)
Yup I've never seen a permit either...
Thanks for the product links...

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
... the added visibility of strobes made it that much safer
You DO know that drunks tend to head FOR the flashy lights...

And if someone is following me more closely in dust/dirt because I have strobes on, I'm shutting them off.
Sponsored