Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 F250, 20 Accord Sport, 21 HD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So obviously there's a metric crap ton of audio upgrade threads. Of those, there is a very high percentage involving kickers, and a few infinity basslink and jbl's out there as well.

I've been toying around with the idea, what about those that don't necessarily have the funding to pursue the upgrades that have been done already? Myself personally, I've decided on a kicker plug and play kit with the hideaway sub. I don't particularly care much all the extra base any more, I just want to fill the lows better. Well with a lot more free time on my hands now I got to thinking what about a build for "younger" folks (high schoolers, college kids, etc). I started browsing the old www and saw some $30 Kenwood speakers. Now I remember way back in high school Kenwood was a decent low budget brand, this was of course when sound systems were a big thing and everyone "had to have one".

Anyway not to get too far off topic, has anyone done a super low budget system with success?

As in did it truly sound better or is it like the placebo affect? I'm only asking because I know sometimes just adding a better aftermarket amp will improve sound quality.
Sponsored

jaeggernaut

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M Coupe // Volvo P1800S // Caterham CSR 200
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Planning on adding that kicker under seat sub. I have the b&o system. Sounds decent. I’ll let u know what the kicker adds.

JJBulldawg

Base
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 Lariat, 2006 Harley Ultra, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Planning on adding that kicker under seat sub. I have the b&o system. Sounds decent. I’ll let u know what the kicker adds.
I’m really interested in how this turns out. I was looking at the Alpine version of the powered underseat sub.

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

rabidmoravians

Base
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have alpine s-s40 in front dash and rear bar and also added a jbl basspro sl in the back. After trying different forscan settings, I have all power to all speakers. My sub would cut out at higher volume until i finally found the right forscan settings. Now it sounds perfect and quite alot of bass when needed. I also added the bass adjustment knob. I think forscan has more to do with it than speaker brand. I got the alpines off amazon like new for like $70 and the basspro sl off ebay for $120 plus $10 for proper connectors also on amazon. It really sounds great. Nothing like the stock speakers

Sponsored

Wannabe Techie

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Buy a Kicker Key 200 amp first. Even with stock speakers it will sound a million times better. And buy them open box from Best Buy or Amazon. I did upgrade my speakers at first to Alpine S40 too but that’s when you notice the lack of power from your head unit. Sounded like crap. But you could hear the potential. It would strain at 50% volume. So if you are on a budget, I’d say save money for that amp first then add speakers because the speakers alone will sound better but will make you even hungrier for better sound.

mikey_photo

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think you have to define “super budget” as car audio can get expensive quick.

My final cost was right around $1500 and I am super happy with the results and think the upgrades were an excellent value. Extremely impressive for what it is and I don’t feel it’s lacking in any way. To me this is a “low budget” setup.

I’m running:

Kicker KS (front and rear pods w/bass blockers on the front)
Sony 6.5” in the kick panel (same price range as the Kicker KS 6.5)
PNP Harness
Kicker 200.4
Audio Control lC2i
Kicker 500.1
Kicker 12” downfiring sub with resonator

If I wanted to get it under $1000 I’d probably go:

Kicker CS 6.5 @ $80
Kicker CS 4 (x2) @ $120
PNP harness and 200.4 (kit 11) @ $410
Kicker HS10 Hideaway Active Sub @ $325

Estimated total: $935 (not sure if you need a wiring kit for the HS10 or if it comes with one)

I think that would be about as good of a “low budget” system as you can get for sub $1000. Of course, this would be installing it yourself. Easy enough with the PNP harness.

Personally, I’m not a big fan of the active subs, and much prefer a 12” sub in a proper box with proper amp/power.

mikey_photo

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Buy a Kicker Key 200 amp first. Even with stock speakers it will sound a million times better. And buy them open box from Best Buy or Amazon. I did upgrade my speakers at first to Alpine S40 too but that’s when you notice the lack of power from your head unit. Sounded like crap. But you could hear the potential. It would strain at 50% volume. So if you are on a budget, I’d say save money for that amp first then add speakers because the speakers alone will sound better but will make you even hungrier for better sound.
This is also super good advice. The 200.4 is basically like voodoo and once you run the DSP and provide your speakers with some actual power, the difference is night and day.

Though, changing out the speakers afterwards will definitely make an even bigger difference once you’re running the amp.

Last edited:

Brockdog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer ST-Line
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Only thing I so far is add an Infinity Basslink Mini in the cargo area to enhance the sound, what a vast improvement, for me anyway. It's roughly the size of a shoe box. System had zero bass before, got an open box from Crutchfield, less than $250.

OP
OP
Havoc1

Havoc1

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 F250, 20 Accord Sport, 21 HD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yes please do, the plug and play kits were sold out last I checked.

I think you have to define “super budget” as car audio can get expensive quick.

My final cost was right around $1500 and I am super happy with the results and think the upgrades were an excellent value. Extremely impressive for what it is and I don’t feel it’s lacking in any way. To me this is a “low budget” setup.

I’m running:

Kicker KS (front and rear pods w/bass blockers on the front)
Sony 6.5” in the kick panel (same price range as the Kicker KS 6.5)
PNP Harness
Kicker 200.4
Audio Control lC2i
Kicker 500.1
Kicker 12” downfiring sub with resonator

If I wanted to get it under $1000 I’d probably go:

Kicker CS 6.5 @ $80
Kicker CS 4 (x2) @ $120
PNP harness and 200.4 (kit 11) @ $410
Kicker HS10 Hideaway Active Sub @ $325

Estimated total: $935 (not sure if you need a wiring kit for the HS10 or if it comes with one)

I think that would be about as good of a “low budget” system as you can get for sub $1000. Of course, this would be installing it yourself. Easy enough with the PNP harness.

Personally, I’m not a big fan of the active subs, and much prefer a 12” sub in a proper box with proper amp/power.
You're break down is pretty much what I'm doing except I have JBL speakers. I'm just waiting on the plug and play kits to come back in stock.

What I'm asking and the point of this thread is, has anyone used just $30 or something cheaper? Hense the super budget title.
And how did it come out?

These are an example
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/kenwoo...loth-cones-pair-black/6197112.p?skuId=6197112

Sponsored

mikey_photo

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes please do, the plug and play kits were sold out last I checked.

You're break down is pretty much what I'm doing except I have JBL speakers. I'm just waiting on the plug and play kits to come back in stock.

What I'm asking and the point of this thread is, has anyone used just $30 or something cheaper? Hense the super budget title.
And how did it come out?

These are an example
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/kenwoo...loth-cones-pair-black/6197112.p?skuId=6197112
I think you’ll find that most speakers (regardless of manufacturer) are more similar than different within respective price points. Many of them are also made by the same parent company. If you look at Harman as an example… quite a few of the different brand names are made in the same factories and all ultimately Harman products. The differences that matter are things like power handling, frequency response and component materials. Things like silk tweeters and woofer materials.

I think most aftermarket budget speakers (regardless of brand or price really) are a huge upgrade over OEM speakers. Generally speaking, OEM speakers are the cheapest components they can get away with. This even applies to auto manufacturers “premium” audio solutions like the B&O option in the bronco.

Ford Bronco Super budget audio upgrade? F4D78C7F-176D-4086-8F62-8A536340A54D

Ford Bronco Super budget audio upgrade? C01FD73D-8F03-416E-85CA-09D89968F70C

Also, to my point above about Harman, below are some of the brands/labels that are made under them:

Ford Bronco Super budget audio upgrade? 102FA232-9195-4C68-89E1-54510838FE49

Last edited:

TheSSBoz

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I did the full new speakers and Kicker Key 200 setup but probably could have just gotten away with the Infinity Basslink Mini powered sub under my drivers seat....Just adding lows into the mix made the biggest difference to me. The standard system is so lacking on just any bass in stock form...

Next viable option after that....Kicker Key 200 and replace just the dash speakers and add a cheapish powered sub....

ejaffe

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi TT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I replaced all 6 speakers with Kickers and put some bass blocker on the front 4". Total cost was less than $250 and it made a significant difference. I am told I should add there kicker 200.4 amp to drive more power into the speakers and it could use a subwoofer to bring in some low end... I think that's another $800 but not required if on a budget.

5.0Maverick

Base
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 maverick.
Your Bronco Model
Base
Powered pioneer 12”.

infinity 4” dash etc.

No kicker key.

$400 final price.

Sounds more than acceptable as a starting point.

$30 speakers probably won’t be worth the effort. You can get one pair of infinity’s for $65 for dash speakers. Splurge at least a little man.

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Outback, '79 2G, '89 3G, '92 5G White!
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So obviously there's a metric crap ton of audio upgrade threads. Of those, there is a very high percentage involving kickers, and a few infinity basslink and jbl's out there as well.

I've been toying around with the idea, what about those that don't necessarily have the funding to pursue the upgrades that have been done already? Myself personally, I've decided on a kicker plug and play kit with the hideaway sub. I don't particularly care much all the extra base any more, I just want to fill the lows better. Well with a lot more free time on my hands now I got to thinking what about a build for "younger" folks (high schoolers, college kids, etc). I started browsing the old www and saw some $30 Kenwood speakers. Now I remember way back in high school Kenwood was a decent low budget brand, this was of course when sound systems were a big thing and everyone "had to have one".

Anyway not to get too far off topic, has anyone done a super low budget system with success?

As in did it truly sound better or is it like the placebo affect? I'm only asking because I know sometimes just adding a better aftermarket amp will improve sound quality.
Take a look at Polk Marine 4 and 6.5". Not too spendy. Several guides on the forum here.

Polk dash and rear.

Kick panels
Sponsored