Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Seems not to be drawing any power at all when powered off if it was my bronco battery would have been dead
I don't know. I'm sure the "sleep" mode pulls very little. Kind of like your TV or less when powered off

But it has to be pulling something or the button wouldn't be able to send the "power on" signal to the main unit.
Sponsored

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I don't know. I'm sure the "sleep" mode pulls very little. Kind of like your TV or less when powered off

But it has to be pulling something or the button wouldn't be able to send the "power on" signal to the main unit.
I would like to get some definite clarification on this if left it plugged in the last 3 days and noticed no lose in battery power but if you say it’s better to unplug when not in use I’ll unplug it

FastAndLight

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands, BMW M5, BMW 325iX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would like to get some definite clarification on this if left it plugged in the last 3 days and noticed no lose in battery power but if you say it’s better to unplug when not in use I’ll unplug it
You aren't going to notice the impact of anything being talked about here.

Also, soft-switches don't necessarily have to draw power. Depending on the circuit design they are going to drop a relay or mosfet to ground which will then start the primary power flow for the circuit. I imagine that the radio is using a complex switching circuit for startup and shutdown of the embedded controller inside the radio as well as the power amplifier circuits, etc.

See this as an example of how some soft switching circuits work:
https://macrofab.com/blog/power-control-product-starting-stopping-electrons/

I don't see any reason to unplug the radio when not in use. Especially if it isn't turning on when you return primary power to the circuit via the upfitter switches or cigarette adapter.

Firefight911

Wildtrak
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco 4-door Wildtrak, Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

robo

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru STi hatch, CG 2022 Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Anyone know if the 575 will fit where the OP mounted the 275?

Sponsored

robo

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I will sunday lol
Update? I hope the install went well. I just sent back the 275 and ordered the 575, so I'm very interested in learning anything I can from your install as well.

ChrisInSC

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cactus Grey Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Update? I hope the install went well. I just sent back the 275 and ordered the 575, so I'm very interested in learning anything I can from your install as well.
Just wrapped it up. I messed up a bit with placement of the pass through. I wanted it to have its own direct switch to the battery as all my six switches are spoken for at the moment.

Ford Bronco Super Clean GMRS Radio Install! CC831A54-2C7C-47B2-9EF5-5A8887B1F33C

in my hubris to make the most of a dead space I decided to add a switch, Ethernet pass through & usb c pass through from the unit. I was able to add all three but the usb c is essentially a waste as I could never get a plug in it because of the angle (you live and you learn). Second mistake was not putting the Ethernet pass through closer to the center of the trim piece. With the angle I have to nudge it out to connect the handset. I honestly don’t really care as it’s not visible but I will probably purchase the trim piece and redo the switch and the Ethernet pass through in the center and ditch the usb c all together.

Ford Bronco Super Clean GMRS Radio Install! EAFC120B-034A-43D6-9F7C-31889FA46242

The fit is certainly tight but it was doable, if you power through an aux switch there will be less wires so it may be a bit easier. I did the same method as the OP and drilled out the mount hole to use the existing screw below.

Ford Bronco Super Clean GMRS Radio Install! EFFA4E30-5BF9-4A57-B199-CADD6325F96B

In the end I’m happy the unit fit, but pissed I have to reorder a trim piece to make it 100%. I hope this helps anyone out and if you have questions I’m happy to help.

robo

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Excellent!! Thanks so much for the info.

Sponsored

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just wrapped it up. I messed up a bit with placement of the pass through. I wanted it to have its own direct switch to the battery as all my six switches are spoken for at the moment.

Ford Bronco Super Clean GMRS Radio Install! AFBCC0DB-1A4A-4580-B43C-326B1798F344

in my hubris to make the most of a dead space I decided to add a switch, Ethernet pass through & usb c pass through from the unit. I was able to add all three but the usb c is essentially a waste as I could never get a plug in it because of the angle (you live and you learn). Second mistake was not putting the Ethernet pass through closer to the center of the trim piece. With the angle I have to nudge it out to connect the handset. I honestly don’t really care as it’s not visible but I will probably purchase the trim piece and redo the switch and the Ethernet pass through in the center and ditch the usb c all together.

Ford Bronco Super Clean GMRS Radio Install! AFBCC0DB-1A4A-4580-B43C-326B1798F344

The fit is certainly tight but it was doable, if you power through an aux switch there will be less wires so it may be a bit easier. I did the same method as the OP and drilled out the mount hole to use the existing screw below.

In the end I’m happy the unit fit, but pissed I have to reorder a trim piece to make it 100%. I hope this helps anyone out and if you have questions I’m happy to help.
Thanks for the update and photos. This is going to make it really hard for me to not want the more powerful unit.

I'm noticing how large the heat sink fins are on the 575. Anyone more knowledgeable than I have any thoughts on if the confined space under the console might create some heat issues? Not like there is any air flow there.

ChrisInSC

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cactus Grey Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the update and photos. This is going to make it really hard for me to not want the more powerful unit.

I'm noticing how large the heat sink fins are on the 575. Anyone more knowledgeable than I have any thoughts on if the confined space under the console might create some heat issues? Not like there is any air flow there.
I had the same concern but I believe the with the larger heat sinks it should be fine. There is actually an air duct that passes through there to the back seat. If you care as little as I do about your kid being climate controlled in the back seat, you could divert the air in there. I’ll report if there are any issues as I’m going out on the trails next weekend.

robo

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ok. 275 returned. 575 ordered.
I was thinking, how much do I really need the 35 added watts. But I know that I would’ve been bothered by it lol

JB1901

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Badlands Sasquatch Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ok. 275 returned. 575 ordered.
I was thinking, how much do I really need the 35 added watts. But I know that I would’ve been bothered by it lol
The 575 is a good bit bigger than the 275, which I didn't realize when ordering fast as they became available. I'm hoping the size doesn't hinder me from install problems. I'm hoping to hide it under the dash.

ChrisInSC

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cactus Grey Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The 575 is a good bit bigger than the 275, which I didn't realize when ordering fast as they became available. I'm hoping the size doesn't hinder me from install problems. I'm hoping to hide it under the dash.
Look up about 6 posts, I got it in.
Sponsored