Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche Cayman, MINI GP2, MINI Countryman
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Really great explanation of your installation and follow-up detail. Sure looks nice and tidy with the wiring and in-cabin mount.

Quick follow-up: What made you choose the Midland MXT275 at 15-watts rather than the MXT400 at 40-watts? Was there some feature on the MXT275 that wasn't available on the MXT400?
Sponsored

BRBlue

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nice install. I have the same radio and mounted mine above the glove box. Plenty of room there and easy to run antenna and power wires over the footwell (behind radio) to the grommet on the driver’s side. I chose that location because it’s easier than removing the center console. I mounted my mic jack on the trim piece above the USB plugs on the center console so it is completely hidden. Again, easier to work with that piece vs. removing center console. Check out Trail Recon’s install video as well…

44EC1995-C4C4-4B7D-85F0-23CCEBF5A4FA.jpeg

B71CDAF7-F0BA-46A2-949F-41857C17F008.jpeg

EEB1681A-DE24-4DF5-ACB2-245C71C82FF0.jpeg

Last edited:

JScheier

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2dr Wildtrak, '11 BMW M3, '96 Ford Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
How did you cut a square hole cleanly since there is very little wiggle room to cover up
I usually mark out the square or rectangular hole needed. Then drill small pilot holes in each corner and a larger hole in the center (possibly more if the rectangle or square is large). Then I either dremel up to the corners or use a file to take out the remaining material. Time consuming, but the best way to get an accurate cutout with non-round openings.

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm hoping the Midland 575 fits in the glovebox once it's released. That Cat5e looks tight.

Sponsored

Mdemieville

Badlands
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Lincoln MKZ hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nice install. Nearly the exact same thing I did. I mounted mine a little further back and is behind the window switches. No one even knows they are there.

PNWChris

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting on Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Why bother putting it on an aux switch. I imagine realistically there shouldn’t be any measurable parasitic drain when it’s unplugged or powered off?

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks good. They need to sell a 50w radio with this configuration, if it’s not in the works already.
the 575 model is supposed to come out this summer, same thing with all the controls on the hand piece, 50W.

OP
OP
Bo-Ronco

Bo-Ronco

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 KR F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am planning something similar but was looking at this adapter instead because it was round...

RJ-45 Ethernet Round Panel Mount Adapter Plug 4130 by Adafruit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QJV1YQJ/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_ZFEQP41JK7E55XFJT7VZ

How did you cut a square hole cleanly since there is very little wiggle room to cover up
I placed a piece of thick tape over the face of the port and then trimmed it to perfectly match the size of the jack/port. I then peeled the tape off and placed it exactly where I wanted the port to be located. This allowed me to ensure I didn't end up with it crooked/off center. I then took a dremel with a cutting wheel and cut 4 sides to get the initial rough cut. From there I switched to a file bit and slowly filed down the sides first to make sure it ended up perfectly upright, and then I filed the top and bottom just enough until the retaining tabs poked through.

It looks absolutely perfect in person now that it's installed. But if I were to pull that port out.. the cut itself is pretty ugly lol! It works though!!

Also, as a side note, be sure to use a really good, thick tape. For 2 reasons: 1. It makes for a cleaner cut by protecting the outside edges of the hole from debris and scratches while you're cutting. 2. If the dremel gets away from you a little bit (happened to me a couple of times) it offers some protection then as well.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bo-Ronco

Bo-Ronco

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 KR F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Why bother putting it on an aux switch. I imagine realistically there shouldn’t be any measurable parasitic drain when it’s unplugged or powered off?
Honestly, primarily because of how easy it was to wire in. The Aux power wire was right there. Plus, it is both connected to the Aux switch AND is ignition sensitive.

So without having to research other wires in the dash that are powered only with the ignition, and also not having to worry about leeching the Amp capacity of my coveted 12V outlets (they're rated for 20A and I do not want anything reducing that capacity), the quickest and smartest way seemed to be the Aux switch.

Plus... I get to use that Aux switch now!!! How cool is that!!

OP
OP
Bo-Ronco

Bo-Ronco

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 KR F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Really great explanation of your installation and follow-up detail. Sure looks nice and tidy with the wiring and in-cabin mount.

Quick follow-up: What made you choose the Midland MXT275 at 15-watts rather than the MXT400 at 40-watts? Was there some feature on the MXT275 that wasn't available on the MXT400?
Let me start by saying this is my first two way radio other than handhelds. So it is very likely that soon I may learn a lot that I wish I would have known.

But as for why I chose the 275, there were a number of reasons. First and foremost was the ability to remote mount the transceiver and control the entire radio from the hand mic. When I am not using the radio (which is most of the time I expect) I can unplug the hand mic from the port and I have lost zero interior space.

I did get in my own head a bit about the 15w versus the more powerful units (because... you know... More Power!!! *Tim Allen grunt) but from what I have read online there really isn't much you're sacrificing with the 15w model versus the more powerful ones for the practical uses I have for the radio. If in the future I feel I want a more robust/powerful setup, then I'll upgrade. But until I prove that need to myself, this should do just fine!

Plus... how sexy is that install!! 😍

OP
OP
Bo-Ronco

Bo-Ronco

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 KR F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nice install. I have the same radio and mounted mine above the glove box. Plenty of room there and easy to run antenna and power wires over the footwell (behind radio) to the grommet on the driver’s side. I chose that location because it’s easier than removing the center console. I mounted my mic jack on the trim piece above the USB plugs on the center console so it is completely hidden. Again, easier to work with that piece vs. removing center console. Check out Trail Recon’s install video as well…

44EC1995-C4C4-4B7D-85F0-23CCEBF5A4FA.jpeg

B71CDAF7-F0BA-46A2-949F-41857C17F008.jpeg

EEB1681A-DE24-4DF5-ACB2-245C71C82FF0.jpeg
Very Nice!! I took a lot of inspiration from what I saw on this forum, and I did see this install.

Another member shared a very detailed manual for removing the center console and that's why I went that route. It was super easy with trim tools. It all comes apart without removing any screws.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bo-Ronco

Bo-Ronco

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 KR F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm hoping the Midland 575 fits in the glovebox once it's released. That Cat5e looks tight.
There was a ton of room under that console. I could have fit a much larger unit under there.

I initially considered a glove box mount but didn't want to sacrifice any usable storage space. Where I mounted it was perfect. You literally do not even need to remove one bolt to access that area. Trim removal tools only. Now that I have done it once I could probably install this exact same setup in 15 minutes. So freakin easy and convenient!

**Edit... You have to remove the grab handle bolts. That's all.

Last edited:

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is GMRS kind of the new standard in offroad groups? It was still CB when I was last into it heavily. It makes me wonder if I shouldn't at minimum grab a handheld for now. I like these clean installs though.
Sponsored