Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 KR F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is GMRS kind of the new standard in offroad groups? It was still CB when I was last into it heavily. It makes me wonder if I shouldn't at minimum grab a handheld for now. I like these clean installs though.
It sure is. It's everywhere offroad. Channel 16 is dedicated to offroading.
Sponsored

BigTex

First Edition
First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Mini CooperS Convertible, 2022 F150 Platinum
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Let me start by saying this is my first two way radio other than handhelds. So it is very likely that soon I may learn a lot that I wish I would have known.

But as for why I chose the 275, there were a number of reasons. First and foremost was the ability to remote mount the transceiver and control the entire radio from the hand mic. When I am not using the radio (which is most of the time I expect) I can unplug the hand mic from the port and I have lost zero interior space.

I did get in my own head a bit about the 15w versus the more powerful units (because... you know... More Power!!! *Tim Allen grunt) but from what I have read online there really isn't much you're sacrificing with the 15w model versus the more powerful ones for the practical uses I have for the radio. If in the future I feel I want a more robust/powerful setup, then I'll upgrade. But until I prove that need to myself, this should do just fine!

Plus... how sexy is that install!! 😍
I have the same radio on my side by side and have been using it for 2 Years all across Texas, New Mexico and Colorado. The biggest limitation is terrain not watts. Even a 100 watt radio will not transmit over a mountain to another person 5 miles away. Antenna placement and type is also important to get the best out of any type of radio. This has been a great radio and for the top off/down days you may want to consider an external speaker if you are having trouble hearing at speeds. Keep in mind you technically need a license for GMRS. Unlike HAM radios, there is no test and the license covers the entire family. I think it’s $70 for 10 years. HAM and GMRS can communicate with each other as long as the Ham operator know the Gmrs channel frequency that is being used to transmit.

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
There was a ton of room under that console. I could have fit a much larger unit under there.

I initially considered a glove box mount but didn't want to sacrifice any usable storage space. Where I mounted it was perfect. You literally do not even need to remove one bolt to access that area. Trim removal tools only. Now that I have done it once I could probably install this exact same setup in 15 minutes. So freakin easy and convenient!
This is great information to have, and looks like the best place to install a radio. Thank you for the photos and instructions and the links to what to buy.

Now all we need is for the next person who does the install to make a video of it.

Good GMRS radios make a off road trip a lot more fun with being able to chat with your buddies.

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have the same radio on my side by side and have been using it for 2 Years all across Texas, New Mexico and Colorado. The biggest limitation is terrain not watts. Even a 100 watt radio will not transmit over a mountain to another person 5 miles away. Antenna placement and type is also important to get the best out of any type of radio. This has been a great radio and for the top off/down days you may want to consider an external speaker if you are having trouble hearing at speeds. Keep in mind you technically need a license for GMRS. Unlike HAM radios, there is no test and the license covers the entire family. I think it’s $70 for 10 years. HAM and GMRS can communicate with each other as long as the Ham operator know the Gmrs channel frequency that is being used to transmit.
The price on the GMRS license has been dropped to 35$ for 10 years.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is GMRS kind of the new standard in offroad groups? It was still CB when I was last into it heavily. It makes me wonder if I shouldn't at minimum grab a handheld for now. I like these clean installs though.
It is, and that's what I did.
Got a Baofeng UV-9G off Amazon, did the FCC license deal, and used it Sunday on a group ride in Uwharrie.
Came in handy multiple times.

Eventually I'll do an install roughly the same as this one (Great install, btw, OP), but use the stubby Midland Ghost antenna.

https://midlandusa.com/products/micromobile-mxta25-3db-gain-ghost-antenna

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bo-Ronco

Bo-Ronco

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 KR F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah I read up on this technology a bunch before buying and learned about the limitations and optimal antenna mounting locations and such. That was the main reason I opted against mounting the antenna between the rear tire and gate. Also, not long ago they dropped the license to $35!

OP
OP
Bo-Ronco

Bo-Ronco

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 KR F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is great information to have, and looks like the best place to install a radio. Thank you for the photos and instructions and the links to what to buy.

Now all we need is for the next person who does the install to make a video of it.

Good GMRS radios make a off road trip a lot more fun with being able to chat with your buddies.
I'll go back and make a walk through video. I can very easily pop everything loose and show how everything went together.

OP
OP
Bo-Ronco

Bo-Ronco

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 KR F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It is, and that's what I did.
Got a Baofeng UV-9G off Amazon, did the FCC license deal, and used it Sunday on a group ride in Uwharrie.
Came in handy multiple times.

Eventually I'll do an install roughly the same as this one (Great install, btw, OP), but use the stubby Midland Ghost antenna.

https://midlandusa.com/products/micromobile-mxta25-3db-gain-ghost-antenna
I initially was planning on going with the ghost antenna. However, I work with a bunch of guys that are veeery into radios (all types) and when I told them I was going to use that antenna they unanimously agreed it was "garbage". They all scoffed at it and rolled their eyes. Now, I am not typically one to fold to peer pressure, but when I'm less than a novice at something and a bunch of people that are consumed with that thing tell me it's not good... eh... what's the point in rolling the dice in that scenario? lol

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I initially was planning on going with the ghost antenna. However, I work with a bunch of guys that are veeery into radios (all types) and when I told them I was going to use that antenna they unanimously agreed it was "garbage". They all scoffed at it and rolled their eyes. Now, I am not typically one to fold to peer pressure, but when I'm less than a novice at something and a bunch of people that are consumed with that thing tell me it's not good... eh... what's the point in rolling the dice in that scenario? lol
Hey, good to know.
I'm no expert either.
Open to all input here myself.
I like incognito equipment and liked the small profile.
But in the end if I'm not $200 better off than the handheld, it is a waste of time and money.

Sponsored

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Very Nice!! I took a lot of inspiration from what I saw on this forum, and I did see your install.

Another member shared a very detailed manual for removing the center console and that's why I went that route. It was super easy with trim tools. It all comes apart without removing any screws.
is there a link to the magnetic peice he bought for the hand set

vzqhsg

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Why GMRS vs CB? Does GMRS give you more range, and do you need a license?

OP
OP
Bo-Ronco

Bo-Ronco

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 KR F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Why GMRS vs CB? Does GMRS give you more range, and do you need a license?
A few reasons:
1. Easier to setup and they're generally far smaller units with much smaller antennas
2. Longer range: depending on the setup and environments, sometimes over 10X+ as far from what I understand.
3. GMRS handheld radios are inexpensive and are awesome to use in conjunction to these setups while offroading (think of offroad spotting)
4. Privacy: You can setup a privacy code amongst a group and only hear those transmissions

It does require a license, but no test. Just pay $35 for the license and it lasts 10 years and covers your whole family.

I'm no expert so I may get corrected on some of these points, but that is my general understanding of the CB vs GMRS comparison.

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There was a ton of room under that console. I could have fit a much larger unit under there.

I initially considered a glove box mount but didn't want to sacrifice any usable storage space. Where I mounted it was perfect. You literally do not even need to remove one bolt to access that area. Trim removal tools only. Now that I have done it once I could probably install this exact same setup in 15 minutes. So freakin easy and convenient!

**Edit... You have to remove the grab handle bolts. That's all.
Good to know. I'm just thinking your hand set up is nice. When not using, you can just unplug and throw in console.
Sponsored