tw
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 Stroppe Baja Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A few reasons:
1. Easier to setup and they're generally far smaller units with much smaller antennas
2. Longer range: depending on the setup and environments, sometimes over 10X+ as far from what I understand.
3. GMRS handheld radios are inexpensive and are awesome to use in conjunction to these setups while offroading (think of offroad spotting)
4. Privacy: You can setup a privacy code amongst a group and only hear those transmissions

It does require a license, but no test. Just pay $35 for the license and it lasts 10 years and covers your whole family.

I'm no expert so I may get corrected on some of these points, but that is my general understanding of the CB vs GMRS comparison.
And it’s a LOT easier to listen to than AM CB.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bo-Ronco

Bo-Ronco

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 KR F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

KompressorV12

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m going this route. Anyone have any ideas what size nut I can use on these studs? Before I go by a bunch of hardware and trial and error I figure I’d ask here

8BBAB5CC-93BB-46EF-9E60-621D0596BA77.jpeg

OP
OP
Bo-Ronco

Bo-Ronco

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 KR F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m going this route. Anyone have any ideas what size nut I can use on these studs? Before I go by a bunch of hardware and trial and error I figure I’d ask here

Are you putting it there so you can hear the speaker well?

KompressorV12

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Are you putting it there so you can hear the speaker well?
Only putting it there because its a super easy location without removing anything. I’m going to wire cat 5 to this location. I didn’t go with Ethernet connector near the usb outlet because I didn’t want to obstruct that storage area for when I connect the handset

0248D38A-B018-4230-BF3A-3D1496FC792F.jpeg

F7046805-0955-448B-8D70-34C7AD9DED13.jpeg

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bo-Ronco

Bo-Ronco

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 KR F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I didn’t go with Ethernet connector near the usb outlet because I didn’t want to obstruct that storage area for when I connect the handset
Oof. Gotta be honest... I somehow did not consider that and am now hoping that doesn't come to bother me in the future 🤣

KompressorV12

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Oof. Gotta be honest... I somehow did not consider that and am now hoping that doesn't come to bother me in the future 🤣
Worst case buy another plastic trim piece for like $20 and relocate

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So did they finally actually drop the price? That sucks because I had to pay the full $75. I had read they were going to drop it, but then covid screwed it all up and a year later it was still the other same price so I went ahead and paid for it.

Ah well, At least I'm good for 10.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Why bother putting it on an aux switch. I imagine realistically there shouldn’t be any measurable parasitic drain when it’s unplugged or powered off?
So just my take on this But actually, I'm hoping to have an Aux switch that has power at all times. Maybe there's a setting in the radio I don't know of, but whenever I turn off my ignition the radio turns off. So when I start my rig back up, I have to reach down and power back up the radio. (Not to mention The obvious that you can't use your radio unless your Ign is on).

So you flip a switch to send power to the radio when you start your off road day, and flip it off when the day is done. No unnecessary wear and tear on your radio for your daily drives, And it stays on the entire time you're off-roading regardless if the ignition is on or not.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Each to their own for sure, but placing electronics near the floor seems like it would be a bad idea. Pretty sure those are not even water resistant :unsure:

Sponsored

BROCK-O

Badlands
First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Only putting it there because its a super easy location without removing anything. I’m going to wire cat 5 to this location. I didn’t go with Ethernet connector near the usb outlet because I didn’t want to obstruct that storage area for when I connect the handset

Ford Bronco Super Clean GMRS Radio Install! F7046805-0955-448B-8D70-34C7AD9DED13

Ford Bronco Super Clean GMRS Radio Install! F7046805-0955-448B-8D70-34C7AD9DED13
Ohhh I like this route. I have same equipment but just storing in center console until I could determine perfect route for me.
Do you have info for this grommet/cap?

OP
OP
Bo-Ronco

Bo-Ronco

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 KR F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So just my take on this But actually, I'm hoping to have an Aux switch that has power at all times. Maybe there's a setting in the radio I don't know of, but whenever I turn off my ignition the radio turns off. So when I start my rig back up, I have to reach down and power back up the radio. (Not to mention The obvious that you can't use your radio unless your Ign is on).

So you flip a switch to send power to the radio when you start your off road day, and flip it off when the day is done. No unnecessary wear and tear on your radio for your daily drives, And it stays on the entire time you're off-roading regardless if the ignition is on or not.
My particular model reverts back to the previous state it was in before the power was cut. So if the Aux switch is left on and the radio was on when I turned the vehicle off, when I restart it it comes right back on.

My main reason for not leaving the radio on a constant power source is the fear that I will be somewhere remote and forget to turn it off for the evening and wake up to a depleted or dead battery. If I want to use a radio while the vehicle is off I have handhelds.

With all that said, I would definitely appreciate the ability to have an Aux switch that always has power. There are certainly times that I might want to run something off the truck battery without having to power every accessory on the vehicle.

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
It sure is. It's everywhere offroad. Channel 16 is dedicated to offroading.
That’s easy enough to remember. Channel 16 is the monitored channel for marine band radio as well. I’m gonna look at this radio. I have to limit my exposure to coms. I have the capacity for complete radio geekdom if I’m not careful. I really like the idea of a vehicle mounted unit in conjunction with two hand held radios for dismounted adventures. See, it’s already starting.

OP
OP
Bo-Ronco

Bo-Ronco

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 KR F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Oh, no!! Complete setup, for right around $300. This might get done before the Bronco even gets here.
Yup! Super cheap! In fact, the JCR brackets were the second most expensive item lol!
Sponsored