Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Duh.. I don't know how I missed that. Well that sucks... I'll reach out to Midland and see what they say.
So Midland got back to me....

"I am very sorry , at this time there is no menu option or programming to allow the MXT275 or the MXT575 to automatically power on."

well that is super helpful and totally explains why mine stays off but Blaylock's comes on.

I Think Ill start a pole and ask the forum. Maybe Blaylock's the odd ball :)
Sponsored

LSU Jonno

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Are you putting it there so you can hear the speaker well?
Is the speaker not also on the handheld mic? I thought this unit had two speakers. If you mount the radio base in a tucked away area do you turn off the base unit speaker and roll with the handheld mic unit speaker?

OP
OP
Bo-Ronco

Bo-Ronco

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 KR F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So Midland got back to me....

"I am very sorry , at this time there is no menu option or programming to allow the MXT275 or the MXT575 to automatically power on."

well that is super helpful and totally explains why mine stays off but Blaylock's comes on.

I Think Ill start a pole and ask the forum. Maybe Blaylock's the odd ball :)
I will say this... I turn my Midland 275 on using my Aux switch, and every time I flip that switch my radio powers on. Also, if I leave that switch on it will power up when I start my Bronco.

I haven't been paying super close attention, but is that what you have been curious about?

OP
OP
Bo-Ronco

Bo-Ronco

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 KR F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is the speaker not also on the handheld mic? I thought this unit had two speakers. If you mount the radio base in a tucked away area do you turn off the base unit speaker and roll with the handheld mic unit speaker?
It is my understanding that you can do either or. But I have been working 60+ hour weeks since the install and haven't had time to mess with it to figure that part out.

OP
OP
Bo-Ronco

Bo-Ronco

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 KR F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@LSU Jonno On a completely separate topic, how do you like Huntsville?

I had a job opportunity there not long ago that was very enticing, but I've never spent any time there. I am originally from the Birmingham area and I believe the north Alabama landscape is a hidden gem in our nation. Also, really loved the people. But again, never spent any time in Huntsville.

Sponsored

JetMech

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Badlands Sasquatch (2), Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks good. They need to sell a 50w radio with this configuration, if it’s not in the works already.
They just released a 50W version this week! I think it's a MX575

JetMech

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Badlands Sasquatch (2), Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I set out to install a GMRS radio in the Bronco, but pretty early into shopping for options realized that there really isn't an ideal place to put the head unit without being inconveniently located or intrusive.

Enter the Midland MXT275.

After reading some threads on here from people who had done an install, I knew exactly what I wanted to do. I installed the radio under my center console and installed a remote Cat5e jack into the front storage tray of the center console. Mounting the radio could not have been easier. I bored out the center mounting hole on the Midland bracket and used the existing fastener Ford uses for the transmission cable pass-through to mount the radio body.

Wiring it was a breeze. I powered it using the Brown/White Aux switch wire behind the glove box, which conveniently comes completely off with no tools. I then ran the antenna cable under the driver's side dash and through an extra grommet in the firewall. I then routed the cable up through the cowl and to the Driver's side pillar, where I installed a JCR ditch light bracket and Midland antenna.

It really felt as though they designed this truck to have this exact radio installed. If people show interest in this install I'd be happy to provide all of the links to what I bought. But for now, here are the install pics:

20220424_143517.jpg

20220424_143533.jpg

20220424_143541.jpg

20220424_143554.jpg

20220424_143644.jpg

20220424_143630.jpg

20220424_143700.jpg

20220424_143858.jpg
I set out to install a GMRS radio in the Bronco, but pretty early into shopping for options realized that there really isn't an ideal place to put the head unit without being inconveniently located or intrusive.

Enter the Midland MXT275.

After reading some threads on here from people who had done an install, I knew exactly what I wanted to do. I installed the radio under my center console and installed a remote Cat5e jack into the front storage tray of the center console. Mounting the radio could not have been easier. I bored out the center mounting hole on the Midland bracket and used the existing fastener Ford uses for the transmission cable pass-through to mount the radio body.

Wiring it was a breeze. I powered it using the Brown/White Aux switch wire behind the glove box, which conveniently comes completely off with no tools. I then ran the antenna cable under the driver's side dash and through an extra grommet in the firewall. I then routed the cable up through the cowl and to the Driver's side pillar, where I installed a JCR ditch light bracket and Midland antenna.

It really felt as though they designed this truck to have this exact radio installed. If people show interest in this install I'd be happy to provide all of the links to what I bought. But for now, here are the install pics:

20220424_143517.jpg

20220424_143533.jpg

20220424_143541.jpg

20220424_143554.jpg

20220424_143644.jpg

20220424_143630.jpg

20220424_143700.jpg

20220424_143858.jpg
I love how you mounted the plug for the mic next to the USB port. Did the radio come with that jack or did you have to add that part? I know they have an extension cable but does the jack clip into the plastic or how is it held in place?

OP
OP
Bo-Ronco

Bo-Ronco

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 KR F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I love how you mounted the plug for the mic next to the USB port. Did the radio come with that jack or did you have to add that part? I know they have an extension cable but does the jack clip into the plastic or how is it held in place?
Thanks!

I added it. I bought the jack separately on Amazon. It is listed in my parts list earlier in this thread. I cut a square hole for the jack and it clipped right in.

Burgler2112

Black Diamond
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco 2.3l Mid Soft Top
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'll go back and make a walk through video. I can very easily pop everything loose and show how everything went together.
Please do!

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I will say this... I turn my Midland 275 on using my Aux switch, and every time I flip that switch my radio powers on. Also, if I leave that switch on it will power up when I start my Bronco.

I haven't been paying super close attention, but is that what you have been curious about?
Yes. On mine, if I turn off the ignition, which kills the power to the cigarette lighter, when I start back up, the mtx275 will not power back up and I'm forced to press the button on the mic again.

Sponsored

CPTJoe2019

Big Bend
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mazda 3
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Does anyone know if you can plug in a headset on the 275? It would be great to be able to wear a headset with a steering wheel mic button and talk and wheel at the same time.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Does anyone know if you can plug in a headset on the 275? It would be great to be able to wear a headset with a steering wheel mic button and talk and wheel at the same time.
I believe so. I just looked at my mic and on the right hand side there's a rubber cover that if you pull back the larger hole and a smaller hole as if some sort of two pronged connector can go in there.

I'm sure there's better ways of knowing for sure thought....

I'm not saying these WILL work, But this is what the holes look like...

Midland AVP-1 Headset for Midland 2-Way Radios (Pair) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00008JOMD/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_3043KX1MXWD9QDM31ADT

CPTJoe2019

Big Bend
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mazda 3
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I believe so. I just looked at my mic and on the right hand side there's a rubber cover that if you pull back the larger hole and a smaller hole as if some sort of two pronged connector can go in there.

I'm sure there's better ways of knowing for sure thought....

I'm not saying these WILL work, But this is what the holes look like...

Midland AVP-1 Headset for Midland 2-Way Radios (Pair) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00008JOMD/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_3043KX1MXWD9QDM31ADT
Thanks for checking. If it has those inputs I would think it would work as well.

OP
OP
Bo-Ronco

Bo-Ronco

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 KR F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

paperboy

Badlands
First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Passport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thank you so much. That was an excellent video. Especially considering you were doing everything one-handed while holding your phone! It came through very well.

I'm sure I can speak for many in saying we really appreciate your effort in starting this thread and posting the video.
Sponsored