Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 KR F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thank you so much. That was an excellent video. Especially considering you were doing everything one-handed while holding your phone! It came through very well.

I'm sure I can speak for many in saying we really appreciate your effort in starting this thread and posting the video.
Hey man, I really appreciate you saying that!

It was a fun little weekend project and I felt it deserved to be shared with anyone interested in a radio setup in their vehicle. Few things are as easy to install as this was! It sounded complicated to describe but I do feel the video communicated how easy it was.
Sponsored

Burgler2112

Black Diamond
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco 2.3l Mid Soft Top
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hey man, I really appreciate you saying that!

It was a fun little weekend project and I felt it deserved to be shared with anyone interested in a radio setup in their vehicle. Few things are as easy to install as this was! It sounded complicated to describe but I do feel the video communicated how easy it was.
Great job. Thanks for the video. 👍

DREWR13

Badlands
First Name
DREW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Miata....
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

THANK YOU For the thread and write up. Knocked out my install today and did exactly what you did. Super clean looking and hides away when not in use.
Ford Bronco Super Clean GMRS Radio Install! PXL_20220510_174041707

Ford Bronco Super Clean GMRS Radio Install! PXL_20220510_174002670

Thank you again!!!

Peter Gosenya

Badlands
First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What is the knob on the left? It looks like an amp base knob.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bo-Ronco

Bo-Ronco

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 KR F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

THANK YOU For the thread and write up. Knocked out my install today and did exactly what you did. Super clean looking and hides away when not in use.

Thank you again!!!
Heck yeah!!! Looks great!! The hardest part is dremeling the Cat5e square hole, but it doesn't have to be pretty it just has to stay inside the lines, and yours looks super clean 😎

I'm super proud that I was able to help you with your install, and I hope to run into you on the trail somewhere!

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I will say this... I turn my Midland 275 on using my Aux switch, and every time I flip that switch my radio powers on. Also, if I leave that switch on it will power up when I start my Bronco.

I haven't been paying super close attention, but is that what you have been curious about?
Okay so this is crazy. you say that when you give your Midland MTX275 Power, it comes back on by itself. I pressed Midland for some more information after they said it doesn't do that, and this was their response...

The MXT275 doesn’t remember it’s power state. I’m not sure how the other user has managed to find a way for it to Auto Turn back on.

We will be releasing an upgraded version of this mic in the near future that has some added features included that will automatically turn back on.

Something definitely doesn't match up here.

OP
OP
Bo-Ronco

Bo-Ronco

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 KR F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Okay so this is crazy. you say that when you give your Midland MTX275 Power, it comes back on by itself. I pressed Midland for some more information after they said it doesn't do that, and this was their response...

The MXT275 doesn’t remember it’s power state. I’m not sure how the other user has managed to find a way for it to Auto Turn back on.

We will be releasing an upgraded version of this mic in the near future that has some added features included that will automatically turn back on.

Something definitely doesn't match up here.
That is peculiar. Send them my video I posted. The last 15 seconds show me turning on the Aux switch and the unit powering up automatically.

And, as an additional note, if I do power the unit off on the hand mic before turning the Aux switch off, it will NOT turn on when I turn the Aux switch back on, so it is 100% remembering the power state.

national-lampoons-christmas-vacation.gif

DREWR13

Badlands
First Name
DREW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Miata....
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mine is the same. If I flip the aux switch the mx275 powers on automatically.

Baja71

Badlands
First Name
tw
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 Stroppe Baja Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The hardest part is dremeling the Cat5e square hole, but it doesn't have to be pretty it just has to stay inside the lines, and yours looks super clean
I think I would drill a proper sized round hole and use a flat file to square up the corners. Shouldn’t take more than a couple of minutes?

Sponsored

FellowM3

Raptor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 22' Braptor, 2020 BMW M340
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I set out to install a GMRS radio in the Bronco, but pretty early into shopping for options realized that there really isn't an ideal place to put the head unit without being inconveniently located or intrusive.

Enter the Midland MXT275.

After reading some threads on here from people who had done an install, I knew exactly what I wanted to do. I installed the radio under my center console and installed a remote Cat5e jack into the front storage tray of the center console. Mounting the radio could not have been easier. I bored out the center mounting hole on the Midland bracket and used the existing fastener Ford uses for the transmission cable pass-through to mount the radio body.

Wiring it was a breeze. I powered it using the Brown/White Aux switch wire behind the glove box, which conveniently comes completely off with no tools. I then ran the antenna cable under the driver's side dash and through an extra grommet in the firewall. I then routed the cable up through the cowl and to the Driver's side pillar, where I installed a JCR ditch light bracket and Midland antenna.

It really felt as though they designed this truck to have this exact radio installed. If people show interest in this install I'd be happy to provide all of the links to what I bought. But for now, here are the install pics:

Ford Bronco Super Clean GMRS Radio Install! national-lampoons-christmas-vacation

Ford Bronco Super Clean GMRS Radio Install! national-lampoons-christmas-vacation

Super clean and nice install.

Dumb / newb question: What exactly is the point of these GMRS radios? Is it basically so when you are camping / off roading, you always have a line to emergency services?

Thanks in advance

OP
OP
Bo-Ronco

Bo-Ronco

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 KR F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Super clean and nice install.

Dumb / newb question: What exactly is the point of these GMRS radios? Is it basically so when you are camping / off roading, you always have a line to emergency services?

Thanks in advance
Yes. When you're off the grid these can end up being your only form of communication. But in addition to that, there are also GMRS handhelds that are super convenient. So you could have someone hop out with a handheld and spot you, etc. Also, the offroading community has widely adopted them, so it can be useful to hear chatter from others that might be in your area for important updates; i.e. trail updates, hazards, predators, weather, Etc...

OP
OP
Bo-Ronco

Bo-Ronco

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 KR F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think I would drill a proper sized round hole and use a flat file to square up the corners. Shouldn’t take more than a couple of minutes?
That should work just fine

Mtns2Climb

Black Diamond
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Honestly, primarily because of how easy it was to wire in. The Aux power wire was right there. Plus, it is both connected to the Aux switch AND is ignition sensitive.

So without having to research other wires in the dash that are powered only with the ignition, and also not having to worry about leeching the Amp capacity of my coveted 12V outlets (they're rated for 20A and I do not want anything reducing that capacity), the quickest and smartest way seemed to be the Aux switch.

Plus... I get to use that Aux switch now!!! How cool is that!!
Truly, that last line is REALLY the reason why you should do it...the switches!! I just finished my install after following this thread, thank you very much for the guidance. And the most satisfying thing for me is powering it up with that aux-6 🙂 (Added ditch lights on day 3 to aux-1 and have skipped over 2-5 for now)

OP
OP
Bo-Ronco

Bo-Ronco

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 KR F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Truly, that last line is REALLY the reason why you should do it...the switches!! I just finished my install after following this thread, thank you very much for the guidance. And the most satisfying thing for me is powering it up with that aux-6 🙂 (Added ditch lights on day 3 to aux-1 and have skipped over 2-5 for now)
Heck yeah!!

Out of curiosity, did you install the MXT275 model as well? If so, does the unit power up when you turn the Aux switch on, or do you still have to separately turn it on with the hand mic as well? Another guy on this thread was having issues with that.
Sponsored