Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Nissan Armada
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I dunno. I could see them doing some damage to paint and windows on a rough trail but I guess if your not sitting next to it it won't whip you. 😂

Bird Dog Off Road

Badlands
First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands w/Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ghost antennas are fine for most people’s needs. I’ve used one on my old 4Runner and now my Bronco without issues.

Nick72

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So Midland got back to me....

"I am very sorry , at this time there is no menu option or programming to allow the MXT275 or the MXT575 to automatically power on."

well that is super helpful and totally explains why mine stays off but Blaylock's comes on.

I Think Ill start a pole and ask the forum. Maybe Blaylock's the odd ball :)
My 575 will power up when I turn on the Aux switch it's connected to.
For clarity, I initially turned the radio on with the power button on the mic and haven't touched it since.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My 575 will power up when I turn on the Aux switch it's connected to.
For clarity, I initially turned the radio on with the power button on the mic and haven't touched it since.
Yeah I'm dumbfounded, especially with Midland responding how they did. What they say matches with my experience with my MTX275, but clearly others have something else going on that Midland claims is impossible.

By all rights, if my radio is on and I turn off my ignition, which kills power to my cigarette lighter, when I turn the jeep back on, it should power on and it does not.

Oh well, not the end of the road. Eventually I'm going to wire this up to some sort of toggle switch directly off the battery and be done with it :)

Sponsored

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I still don’t got my mtx275 installed wish I new someone to install it I’m just not good with this kind of stuff

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I just got my MXT275 installed under the center console. Since there are two bolt holes on the aft side of the roll bar I fabricated an antenna mount and installed my antenna there.

Antenna.jpg
How do you get decent reception with the antenna mounted on the inside love we’re you
Got it mounted though I’m scratching my head trying to figure out we’re to put it I got the extra soon thing that goes bye the ditch lights might do that but then got to figure out how to run the wires and shit ughhhhhh

Nick72

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yeah I'm dumbfounded, especially with Midland responding how they did. What they say matches with my experience with my MTX275, but clearly others have something else going on that Midland claims is impossible.

By all rights, if my radio is on and I turn off my ignition, which kills power to my cigarette lighter, when I turn the jeep back on, it should power on and it does not.

Oh well, not the end of the road. Eventually I'm going to wire this up to some sort of toggle switch directly off the battery and be done with it :)
It is strange. A switched source is a switched source. Shouldn't matter if it's a power point, toggle switch, or aux switch that is controlled by the position of the ignition switch.
Just for fun, run a temporary power circuit to the battery with a toggle switch and see if it works. Shouldn't make a difference but stranger things have been known to happen lol.
I haven't gone back through other posts to double check, but this issue seems to be with radios that are using the power point plug instead of hardwired installs. I could be wrong though.

LSU Jonno

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How do you get decent reception with the antenna mounted on the inside love we’re you
Got it mounted though I’m scratching my head trying to figure out we’re to put it I got the extra soon thing that goes bye the ditch lights might do that but then got to figure out how to run the wires and shit ughhhhhh
In these vehicles, it's probably not going to be a noticeable performance hit based on exactly where you mount your antenna (inside or outside). The roofs aren't metal. If you mount your antenna on the roll bar, there will be slight distortion of the antenna pattern from the fiberglass hardtop or the metal bars from the soft top, but again probably not super noticeable.

The antenna specs are quoted (probably) from mounting these antennas with a good electrical bond to a flat ground plane. A painted roll-bar isn't that, but neither is a plastic mirror cowl panel (neither is a powder coated metal bracket that is fastened with a painted screw to a plastic cowl panel).

JetMech

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Badlands Sasquatch (2), Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I can't find the link currently but the Midland site had an article about how Jeep owners could install the antenna inside of the hardtop due to it being fiberglass and wouldn't cause any interference. I only had my MXT275 and a handheld Midland FRS radio to test distance but I was able to hear the MXT275 from 2 miles away in town while the handheld was inside my house. I couldn't hear the handheld due to the distance though. We were on the phone to verify reception.

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So my MTX275 antenna is the one that came with it, and I just shoved it up through the sade access panel of my jeep so that it sticks up about halfway above the dash on the inside corner of the front windshield.

Works just fine. I don't know if the Bronco has that same ability or nit, but if so, I'm going to do the same thing.

I'll try to take a pic later.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I still don’t got my mtx275 installed wish I new someone to install it I’m just not good with this kind of stuff
That is the beauty of the MTX275. It doesn't need to be Installed. Simply zip tie the radio to any non-hot area 7nder the dash (I've seen people stupidly mount them on, or real close to, the heater hoses which get extremely hot!

Use the cigarette lighter adapter for power (simply unplug it when you don't need it), And it comes with a little magnetic antenna that you can literally lay on top of your dash.

I'll take a picture of how I install the antenna on my current Jeep, but my entire radio can be pulled out in less than 5 minutes because nothing is permanently installed.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but this whole concept of people having to mount external antennas is crap. I mean if you're trying to get your radio to work to its maximum range then sure. But my little antenna is inside my Jeep, half blocked by firewall, and the other half behind the windshield, and I use it to talk to people on the trail just fine.

This isn't meant to make long distance phone calls and it will work perfectly clear for anyone in you trail group.

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but this whole concept of people having to mount external antennas is crap. I mean if you're trying to get your radio to work to its maximum range then sure. But my little antenna is inside my Jeep, half blocked by firewall, and the other half behind the windshield, and I use it to talk to people on the trail just fine.

This isn't meant to make long distance phone calls and it will work perfectly clear for anyone in you trail group.
Thank you glad to know you can put the antenna on the inside

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Some of us need it for more than just trail chat. Simple as that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Sponsored