Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Fiesta SFE, Toyota Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mike Levine @ Ford on Twitter announced some truck news was coming this week and it appears this is it. Looks like Ford is making a big push for off road options. Besides Jeep, I'm not sure there's anyone else that's been more aggressive for off road capabilities. Seems a bit gimmicky with such a huge vehicle but I would love to see this perform. 35" tires from factory, "Rock Crawl" trail control mode, and 33" water fording capability, etc. With this trajectory, I'm liking the potential of the Bronco.

Description:

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...eries-super-duty-tremor-off-road-package.html
Sponsored

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Looks similar to what Toyota has been doing with their TRD Pro packages as well

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If Ford is really trying to boost their off road credibility for the brand that could bode well for the Bronco.

It still remains to be seen of they're serious enough about it to actually build a model/trim that amounts to more than just an "appearance package" product on an ordinary street vehicle.

phillyfx4

Outer Banks
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 F 150 4X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
if the F 250 is getting an "OFF ROAD PACKAGE".....why in the hell won't the Bronco get it too ?

C'mon guys …..no doubt in my mind there's gonna be a "rubicon" level Bronco . :muscle:

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If Ford is really trying to boost their off road credibility for the brand that could bode well for the Bronco.

It still remains to be seen of they're serious enough about it to actually build a model/trim that amounts to more than just an "appearance package" product on an ordinary street vehicle.
I hope we see at least a reasonable travel IFS front (or hell, bring back the TTB would be even better) at a minimum. I know what I would want to see won't be happening, a 4-link front and back solid axles. And the next step down for the front would be a leaf spring front, which I highly doubt they would go back to. Which would leave any solid axle option as some panhard setup which would likely not compare in stock configuration to what can be done with leaf springs.

An IFS would be fine if they ran long control arms to get significant travel, and of course it can increase front ground clearance. But I doubt they would do a near center mount IFS, or crossover beams like TTB.

With a radius arm/Panhard setup ala current run F-250 you can get to decent articulation with a parallel 4-link fairly easily, but an original leaf setup typically lends itself to having the room to do a triangulated 4-link for maximum articulation

All things considered, if a road vehicle is wanted and used to play off road seriously with minimum work to go from one to the other, a 4-link with a long travel magneride shocks so you can stiffen them up on-road to reduce roll/articulation to reduce on road bump steer would be biggest preference. But Lord letting this into the hands of soccer moms would derail that vehicle so quick with the number of times they would attempt to go way too fast for that type setup, hit a pothole, feel the bump steer, overcorrect, and roll the truck.

Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
if the F 250 is getting an "OFF ROAD PACKAGE".....why in the hell won't the Bronco get it too ?

C'mon guys …..no doubt in my mind there's gonna be a "rubicon" level Bronco . :muscle:

I sincerely hope the Bronco is an off road package like the Wrangler -- all trim levels are 4x4 and even the base model will be more off road worthy than 99% of competitors. We have yet to see or hear anything that would indicate that to be the case though.

For the Tremor, I think Jalopnik hit the nail on the head, this is meant to be Ford's response to the Power Wagon.

https://jalopnik.com/the-2020-ford-super-duty-tremor-is-an-off-roader-with-a-1835903734

One thing potentially Bronco related did cross my mind reading these articles ... Ford is perhaps boldly declaring they can do "off road capability plus SFA."

Tremor.png

Bronco II

Black Diamond
First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost50 Year Appearance Package
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Very cool maybe there will be a Bronco Tremor

HTX1811

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SXT 4x4
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Bodes very well for the Bronco. It they are doing this to a big ass heavy truck, they certainly have something special for the Bronco. Especially after openly stating they are going after the Wrangler.

Sponsored

HTX1811

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SXT 4x4
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Maybe not official Ford press releases but spurred on by unnamed “unofficial sources.”

I’m going to continue to look for an article I read that quoted an unnamed Ford source as saying they intend to directly compete with the Wrangler but I cannot find that article at the moment.

Last edited:

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Maybe not official Ford press releases but ... I’m going to continue to look for an article I read that quoted an unnamed Ford source ...
The only thing I've seen has said they wanted to "beat Jeep".

The idea that Wrangler was going to be some kind of direct competition is just common supposition. The amount of time that idea has been allowed to persist might suggest it is true. If Ford expected Bronco to fall far short of being able to compete with a Wrangler it would have been in their own best interest to manage that expectation -- failing to do so if that were the case would result in a lot of very unfavorable review and public sentiment. Still, its just guessing, because Ford has told us nothing about their intentions for capability.

What Tremor offers is certainly better than the standard FX4 package or other typical appearance packages, but it still falls short of features like disconnectable swaybars, lockers, etc. that the Power Wagon or Wrangler have. Hopefully the top Bronco offering is more.

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Maybe not official Ford press releases but spurred on by unnamed “unofficial sources.”

I’m going to continue to look for an article I read that quoted an unnamed Ford source as saying they intend to directly compete with the Wrangler but I cannot find that article at the moment.
If you find it, that would be significant in my book. But third party copy and unofficial sources are little more than guesses and supposition; the former motivated by trying to sell ads and rack up website hits, the latter providing the fodder with unknown motives.

The official statement I recall from Ford ("the Farley quote") specifically referencing Wrangler indicated the Bronco would be "fundamentally different than the Jeep Wrangler". Expounding on what customers use their vehicles for, he said, "For Jeep, that's rock crawling in Moab, for Ford, that's something different."

Does that necessarily mean "something different" can't compete with a base Wrangler, or even a Rubicon? I would say no, but it's a high bar to reach if Ford wants the Bronco to be broadly multi-purpose and still play alongside rockcrawlers in Moab. I'm hoping for it - looking forward to a big suprise behind the Bronco badge - but that isn't what Ford has officially indicated in anything I've seen.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Well I will say that the Super Duty Tremor will be one hell of a mall crawler, but at the size of that thing it's going to be a tough sell for real off roading IMHO. The length, and width in itself along with a turning radius that needs a 40 acre field to make a sharp turn just doesn't bode well for off roading on a tight trail. But hey, Ford is at least showing the automotive world what they can do to compete.
Sponsored

Last edited: