Sponsored

Surface mounted A-Pillar tweeters - has anyone done or seen flush mounted? (With pic)

First Name
Leonard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Mounted these JL tweeters with my system install - sounds incredible and don't look horrible but wondering if anyone has done or seen flush mounted tweeters. My concern / question is what is directed behind the current flush mount that I couldn't see from inside the vent (since there is a plastic wall on the other hand of the a-pillar towards the engine bay.

20230327_143033.jpg
Sponsored

John P.

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Interesting.

Somebody posted the below on Facebook. Iā€™m not on Facebook, but saw another post with this image reposted here somewhere.

I like the approach. I have Hertz tweeters that Iā€™m going to attempt to mount this way. Also including some pics of the a-pillar that I found for reference.

9442BE23-9A24-40A8-9E49-37B0DB0BAEC6.jpeg
30A7D454-24B6-4924-8E80-11DA7DACF306.png
63114BA7-FB9C-4B85-9AF5-DB856362D287.png

8ronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking to see. It appears that they are flush mounted in the same place as my surface mounts. I will be giving this a try today- I'll let you know how it works out.

BroncoA512021

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Just piggybacked off dash speakers ?

8ronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I ran 18 gauge front and rear speaker outs from head unit to the amp, and then seperate 16 gauge wire to each speaker from the amp.

Doing something a bit diffrant than anything I've seen or read - 9 speakers in total. I'm using 6 channels of a D.6-1200 with the following speaker configuration:

Pair of tweeters in the A-pillars
Pair of 4 inch in the dash
Pair of 6.5 inch in the kick panels
Pair of 4 inch in the rear pods

The tweeters and 6.5 inch are running to a passive crossover and then to channel 1 and 2 of the amp.

The 4.5 inch dash speakers and running directly to channel 3 and 4 of the amp.

The 4.5 inch rear speakers are running directly to channel 5 and 6 of the amp.

The D.6-1200 has a line out to a JL 500.1 runnig a JL 12 sub.

The sound is actually orgasmic - so clear and full that I don't want to get out of the truck when I get to where I'm going.

EDIT

I am now running 6.5 inch speakers in the rear pods with the JBL Forscan mod - nice to have more a full range from the rear.

Last edited:

Sponsored

John P.

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking to see. It appears that they are flush mounted in the same place as my surface mounts. I will be giving this a try today- I'll let you know how it works out.
Please do. It really seems like an elegant way to get nice imaging up front. Would love to see what you find when you open up the a-pillars, especially regarding depth in there. Here are some helpful instructions, attached.

Attachments

8ronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Please do. It really seems like an elegant way to get nice imaging up front. Would love to see what you find when you open up the a-pillars, especially regarding depth in there. Here are some helpful instructions, attached.
Thanks for the disassembly instructions - those my come in handy. Hopefully I can use the preexisting hole that I drilled for the surface mounts and just snake the speaker wire.

I didn't get around to it [yet] today but I will keep you posted. I did purchase a 1-5/8 hole saw today so that should make it quick and easy.

gringoloco

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
@8ronco Any updates? Looks like the side defroster is in exactly the wrong spot

John P.

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was wondering the same. We know it has been done, but looks like pretty precise placement is key. I think the only way to do this is by removing the pillars. Hopefully weā€™ll get an update soon.

Sponsored

8ronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ok - so, just got the driver side tweeter flush mounted. I did not remove the A-pillar trim because i already researched what was behind my surface mount - half of my flush mount cup/bracket would be in my defroster duct and the other half would be behind the duct. I used a hole saw BUT this is not for the faint of heart because there is an airbag wiring harness behind the duct.

I drilled shallow enough not to nic the harness, and then used an oscillating tool to trim away some of the duct wall so I would have enough clearance for the mounting cup. Extra caution is necessary during this trimming because the harness is very close to the duct.

End result:

1. Because the mounting cup fills most of the gap between the duct and the space behind the duct, there is not a huge loss of pressure in terms of airflow output from the defroster duct.

2. For the sake of unnecessary-perfection, I will be cutting a piece a plastic to plastic weld inside the top of the duct that will completely seal the duct and prevent the miniscule loss of pressure resulting from my trimming. My addition of the plastic cover to seal the trimming gaps will not interfere with the direction of flow from the vent - it could actionable improve pressure from the original design.

The sound quality of the driver side flush mounted tweeter versus surface mount is noticeable due to the the speaker now being more in range with my left ear.

Now for the passenger side and then cleanup time. Looks night and day better - definitely a factory quality.

Edited to add pictures of left and right finished install...

Ford Bronco Surface mounted A-Pillar tweeters - has anyone done or seen flush mounted? (With pic) 20230407_140310

Ford Bronco Surface mounted A-Pillar tweeters - has anyone done or seen flush mounted? (With pic) 20230407_142333

Ford Bronco Surface mounted A-Pillar tweeters - has anyone done or seen flush mounted? (With pic) 20230407_131922

Ford Bronco Surface mounted A-Pillar tweeters - has anyone done or seen flush mounted? (With pic) 20230407_155705

Screenshot_20230407_175129_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

2fast4u

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500 and Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Interesting.

Somebody posted the below on Facebook. Iā€™m not on Facebook, but saw another post with this image reposted here somewhere.

I like the approach. I have Hertz tweeters that Iā€™m going to attempt to mount this way. Also including some pics of the a-pillar that I found for reference.

Ford Bronco Surface mounted A-Pillar tweeters - has anyone done or seen flush mounted? (With pic) Screenshot_20230407_175129_Gallery
Ford Bronco Surface mounted A-Pillar tweeters - has anyone done or seen flush mounted? (With pic) Screenshot_20230407_175129_Gallery

I like it but the only thing is the tweeter is facing you.

John P.

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looking good! I think Iā€™ll try removing the pillars to try it with mine. I think there may be enough room without hitting airbags or the vent. Weā€™ll see.

8ronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
There should be enough room - the question is whether it may be too close to the windshield in terms of the sound reflecting from the glass...let me know how it goes.
Sponsored