Sponsored

Swapping Coyote V8 into my Bronco. Will front and rear diff need to be rebuilt?

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Outback, '79 2G, '89 3G, '92 5G White!
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Im putting a gt 350 5.2L V8 engine with a flat-plane crank that produces 526 hp and 429 lb.-ft. of torque. in my bandlands bronco with 7 speed manual trans.The trans is going to monster transmisson for rebuild. the question is will the front and rear diff need to be rebuilt..Or will it handle the power..
Just don't. Be happy.
Sponsored

OP
OP
r21free

r21free

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is not gonna happen. You can't just "unlock" the factory computer and make this work. If you went to another 6cyl then maybe yes. The factory computer lacks the architecture and isn't going to just suddenly be able to manage additional injectors and have injector drivers unused just sitting around, same for ignition, etc. Usually an ECU is developed having just the right amount of inputs and outputs needed with a few spares for various accessories and add on's that can't simply be controlled via can bus driven sub systems.

I have 2 decades of being an advanced engine management tuner among other skill sets. The engine swap can be done, with a stand alone, no problem at all, but that means losing the factory ecu and the integration with factory integrated systems will mostly no longer work. However that being said there are multiple modules and ecu's in the vehicle that manage various aspects of the engine and external operations (think AC, windows, interactive displays, gps, etc) and some could still be utilized but doubtful to get all functions even if attempting to somehow keep the stock ecu piggy backed so it's still in the loop.

Also Ford will never unlock the ECU. Manufacturers don't do that. The aftermarket community hacks the interface to gain access to the software so as to manipulate what they can. That will never change the architecture of the EMS, just allows one to make changes to the existing software.
I understand its not that easy.We had to switch the motor to a 5.0 and use a auto trans just like everyone esle ...Paxpower is trying to do the same as are several others.Its just a waiting game ..

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This is not gonna happen. You can't just "unlock" the factory computer and make this work. If you went to another 6cyl then maybe yes. The factory computer lacks the architecture and isn't going to just suddenly be able to manage additional injectors and have injector drivers unused just sitting around, same for ignition, etc. Usually an ECU is developed having just the right amount of inputs and outputs needed with a few spares for various accessories and add on's that can't simply be controlled via can bus driven sub systems.

I have 2 decades of being an advanced engine management tuner among other skill sets. The engine swap can be done, with a stand alone, no problem at all, but that means losing the factory ecu and the integration with factory integrated systems will mostly no longer work. However that being said there are multiple modules and ecu's in the vehicle that manage various aspects of the engine and external operations (think AC, windows, interactive displays, gps, etc) and some could still be utilized but doubtful to get all functions even if attempting to somehow keep the stock ecu piggy backed so it's still in the loop.

Also Ford will never unlock the ECU. Manufacturers don't do that. The aftermarket community hacks the interface to gain access to the software so as to manipulate what they can. That will never change the architecture of the EMS, just allows one to make changes to the existing software.
What would happen or not happen if you swapped a V8 from a donor vehicle, not a crate motor, ALONG WITH the ECU from donor Vehicle? Can the brain from a Mustang be transplanted into a Bronco?

shimmy825

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wait so did the vroom vroom go boom boom yet or no?

OP
OP
r21free

r21free

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wait so did the vroom vroom go boom boom yet or no?
Not yet I have a 5.2 with adaptor plate for the bronco 7-Speed Manual Transmission ( My choice) .and a 5.0 with 10 speed auto tansmission everyone elses chioce ..The 5.2 with the mustang ecu will run in the bronco.But nothing else works .Like dash or goat modes..The worse thing that can happen is that I sell the motors and build the 2.3 to 500 horse ..

Sponsored
OP
OP
r21free

r21free

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well like all good things this v8 bronco has come to an end..It is now a 2.3 manual with 500 horsepower and 415 pound-feet of torque .Im sure the v8s will going into something around here ...:cry:

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What would happen or not happen if you swapped a V8 from a donor vehicle, not a crate motor, ALONG WITH the ECU from donor Vehicle? Can the brain from a Mustang be transplanted into a Bronco?
Nope - part of why you can't even swap a Bronco PCM to Bronco PCM (or any of the ~19 computers) w/out being a dealer is for car security. All the Modules have to have a handshake between each other before a key FOB will work.

Back in the early FOB days could just use your junkyard PCM / key - swap it into someone else's car and drive away.

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Thanks for bragging about all your decades of knowledge, but I totally disagree, with your programming background, you should be more aware..., I'm confident a PSM from a V8 Ford could be used in our broncos, in a very similar way I programmed the new Hoss 3.0 rack...if I buy the supercharged 5.2 and stuff it in, I'll get it to work with the factory modules dont believe? me just wait and see...

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Nope - part of why you can't even swap a Bronco PCM to Bronco PCM (or any of the ~19 computers) w/out being a dealer is for car security. All the Modules have to have a handshake between each other before a key FOB will work.

Back in the early FOB days could just use your junkyard PCM / key - swap it into someone else's car and drive away.
Untrue...I've done exactly that

Obiwan

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't care to share personal info
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Truly could care less, best of luck to you.

Sponsored

raptorusmaximus

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Exactly. The voodoo doesn't make power until higher RPM. The 5.0 is considered to be the more enjoyable option for stop light to stop light driving. The voodoo is more enjoyable on the race track, where one can actually open it up. The 2.7 makes much more low end torque than the 5.2. Don't get me wrong, would be cool, but....
I think the 6.2 would be a great choice, great low end torque. I'm really surprised no one has figured this out by now.....

cobro92

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350 7.3 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

What did you do to the 2.3 to gain that much power?

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Thanks for bragging about all your decades of knowledge, but I totally disagree, with your programming background, you should be more aware..., I'm confident a PSM from a V8 Ford could be used in our broncos, in a very similar way I programmed the new Hoss 3.0 rack...if I buy the supercharged 5.2 and stuff it in, I'll get it to work with the factory modules dont believe? me just wait and see...
It might, just need the know how to do it. One of the mustang forums I am on currently has a guy working on swapping out a 2012 V6 drive line into a 2007 V6 Mustang(why I don't know, guy has the time and money and likes to tinker lol). To sum up his build in his own words, by the time he is done rewiring everything to work correctly, he may as well have just done a body swap
Sponsored