Sponsored

Swapping Coyote V8 into my Bronco. Will front and rear diff need to be rebuilt?

airishfan

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I get the feeling this guy going end up being smart and not do it or going be dump and take his Bronco apart and his smart computer guy won't get it running right and regret it because he does not sound like he know what he is doing.But when you have a smart computer guy as a friend anything can happen.
Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So Ford actually tried to put a coyote in the engine bay, and they said it will not fit.... Hennessey had bold ans for coyote swap for 150,000... now they are only offering 2.7 H.O option.🤷‍♂️
"With a premiere appearance planned for the 2022 Baja 1000, the Bronco™ DR will hit the sand powered by a Ford Coyote 5.0-liter V8 engine"

So Ford is lying when they teased this? Sounds to me like it fits. And you might have to be an Unser or Leno to buy the specific engine mounts through Ford Performance but you could.

Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

For it not to perform the task at hand as good as or better than the 2.7. With matching torque curves it would have to have an inherent weakness in the block or crank. So that would mean that the 2.7 internals are stronger than what they built for a Shelby. That would be insane. That is like saying the old Boss 302s would be worse than a 250 L6 in a EB. Because it would just fall apart.
Rarely an inline flathead 6 from anyone ever falls apart. OHV V8s have more moving parts and that many more critical failure points.

Deleted member 12876

Gonna need to swap out the 10R60 for the 10R80 To accommodate the torque of the coyote motor

Mikesmallcrawler21

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 F150 screw
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

"With a premiere appearance planned for the 2022 Baja 1000, the Bronco™ DR will hit the sand powered by a Ford Coyote 5.0-liter V8 engine"

So Ford is lying when they teased this? Sounds to me like it fits. And you might have to be an Unser or Leno to buy the specific engine mounts through Ford Performance but you could.
Not even the same engine bay

TX_Bronco77

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ngl I would be kind of afraid of a Bronco with that motor in it, already makes me white knuckle in the Mustang. Bronco would be downright scary.

Little Foot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Im putting a gt 350 5.2L V8 engine with a flat-plane crank that produces 526 hp and 429 lb.-ft. of torque. in my bandlands bronco with 7 speed manual trans.The trans is going to monster transmisson for rebuild. the question is will the front and rear diff need to be rebuilt..Or will it handle the power..

The 5.2L Voodoo engine is made for high revving. I'm guessing that you pulled it from a GT-350 that was headed for the junk yard? If you are purchasing that engine, I would recommend looking at alternatives. I just watched a video that measured out the engine bay and the mechanic acted as though a Coyote or a Godzilla (smaller in measurements) engine should be able to fit into the engine bay.

Good Luck and take lots of pictures while keeping us all up to date on lessons learned as you go.

I for one will be following this thread.

-Chad

Sponsored

Rkgzx9leftcoast

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The rear 44 , will handle it, may need axles. The Jeep 392 uses the 44 rear axle and a 44 in the front. The bronco clam shell diff in the front may be the outlier ?? That being said, " Handle" is a relative term... if you put 40s on it and rock bounce off road.... expect to replace parts often. Not sure what transfer case is in the Bronco compared to the 392 Jeep.... may look into that.....

Most people who V8 swap jeeps and off road, usually do Tons at the same time... or before the engine...
it will turn into a money cliff quick......

as others have said the 5.2 cross plane prolly the wrong engine... i would do the 5.0.....

72BroncoSand

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 Bronco, 77 f-150, Jetta Tdi, 1ton
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My v8 swap is on hold.The bronco computer needs to be hacked. So far everyone I talk to with a v8 swap, is on hold until ford unlocks the compter..
Shocker

Obiwan

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't care to share personal info
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
This is not gonna happen. You can't just "unlock" the factory computer and make this work. If you went to another 6cyl then maybe yes. The factory computer lacks the architecture and isn't going to just suddenly be able to manage additional injectors and have injector drivers unused just sitting around, same for ignition, etc. Usually an ECU is developed having just the right amount of inputs and outputs needed with a few spares for various accessories and add on's that can't simply be controlled via can bus driven sub systems.

I have 2 decades of being an advanced engine management tuner among other skill sets. The engine swap can be done, with a stand alone, no problem at all, but that means losing the factory ecu and the integration with factory integrated systems will mostly no longer work. However that being said there are multiple modules and ecu's in the vehicle that manage various aspects of the engine and external operations (think AC, windows, interactive displays, gps, etc) and some could still be utilized but doubtful to get all functions even if attempting to somehow keep the stock ecu piggy backed so it's still in the loop.

Also Ford will never unlock the ECU. Manufacturers don't do that. The aftermarket community hacks the interface to gain access to the software so as to manipulate what they can. That will never change the architecture of the EMS, just allows one to make changes to the existing software.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Those have a tube frame chassis. They have nothing in common with the Bronco you see on the road aside from the name.
Sponsored