Sponsored

Sway Bar Disco Essentially Useless on IFS?

OP
OP

Comadivine11

Black Diamond
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Chevy Astro Van
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
OP, just watch this GIF video over and over again until you get it. Its pretty obvious that it helps by giving several more inches of articulation. ?ā€ā™‚

A slightly less doucey response would suffice. I was simply asking a question based on an off-road lift kit company claiming disco on IFS systems isn't super beneficial.

But you do you.
Sponsored

guernsej

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sure. If your wheel is at full articulation and it's just touching, your not getting traction regardless of SFA or IFS. There's no magic argument to be made that disconnecting swaybars help SFA but not IFS, it'll help both in many different scenarios.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Huh??
On a solid axle vehicle, the wheel opposite of the one being compressed will STILL have less weight on it, regardless. Probably not to the extremes of IFS, but this point is rather moot.
Not to mention unweighted wheel will be tipped on edge and not flat against the ground, so there goes the traction benefit.
Both systems have their pros and cons...

Studawg

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Excursion, 96 Land Cruiser, 18 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
A slightly less doucey response would suffice. I was simply asking a question based on an off-road lift kit company claiming disco on IFS systems isn't super beneficial.

But you do you.
Sorry, I shoot from the hip sometimes. As far as I can tell, their argument in your first post is just moot considering the Broncos with the sway bar disconnect will also have a front locker. But regardless of locker or not, if the problem is a wheel in the air without traction, disconnecting the SB obviously helps that as seen in Bronco video, so while it may not help as much as a SFA application, it still helps.

WkndEpic

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sway bars were added to the IFS setup to address a problem or to achieve a specific handling characteristic under certain road and driving conditions. These characteristics that were limited or eliminated altogether by a connected sway bar can prove to be useful under different driving and road conditions.

I don't believe that a general statement can be made that disconnecting the sway bar on an IFS setup is useless. The degree of usefulness or the necessity of a sway bar disconnect is up to the vehicleā€™s intended use and road/driving conditions. For example a sway bar disconnect may be useless for a race car on a paved road at higher speeds. However, it may be useful for an off-road capable car designed and intended to crawl over uneven terrain requiring maximum articulation.

Iā€™m fortunate to know exactly what Iā€™ll be doing with my Bronco on the trails in Colorado and in the surrounding areas (i.e. Moab) and I have enough experience to know that a sway bar disconnect will be useful under those driving and road conditions.

Sponsored

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
On older lockers yes, Ford claims the Bronco will be able to apply power to the wheel(s) with traction.
Yes, but still the wheel in the air that is lowered to the ground with swaybar disconnect still has almost no weight on it, so even if it has power it won't be able to help full the vehicle.

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
Instead of looking for information about the the Bronco on the 4Runner forum you could also try looking for information about the Bronco on the Bronco Forum.

From your 4Runner article: " We do not recommend sway bar disconnects as we have found them to be completely useless on this {4Runner} vehicle."
Meaning, on the 4Runner, it is NOT an evaluation about the SBD on the Bronco.

Bronco Badlands Stabilizer Bar Disconnect In Action!
Now that I've watched your giff 10 times it is clear to me that the front right tire (with contact) moves up a lot relative to the vehicle (i.e. the body lowered on that side relative that tire several inches. However, the front left that was in the air to begin with is still dangling relative to the body. That tire didn't move at all up into the wheel well. So, it seems that disconnecting the bar in this video wouldn't give any extra traction to the driver from the front left wheel. Maybe the driver can see better after the drop?

I didn't want swaybar disconnect from day one and I still don't.

guernsej

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Now that I've watched your giff 10 times it is clear to me that the front right tire (with contact) moves up a lot relative to the vehicle (i.e. the body lowered on that side relative that tire several inches. However, the front left that was in the air to begin with is still dangling relative to the body. That tire didn't move at all up into the wheel well. So, it seems that disconnecting the bar in this video wouldn't give any extra traction to the driver from the front left wheel. Maybe the driver can see better after the drop?

Not sure why you feel compelled to die on this hill - the gif is a demo showing the disconnect can gain 4-5" of useful articulation. Even if it's not helpful in that particular instance it doesn't take much imagination to see how it will be helpful under less extreme circumstances.

Tire hung an inch or two off the ground? Disconnect and it's got firm contact again.

If you don't want it that's fine, but you started a thread asking if it was useless and you've received plenty of evidence that's not the case so why keep arguing the point?

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Cool story brah...

But I f thatā€™s true, why are you spending so much time on the topic? Your arguments werenā€™t particularly compelling.

OP
OP

Comadivine11

Black Diamond
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Chevy Astro Van
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I love the last two comments replying to a comment that isn't mine as if it were.

People getting downright douchey in this thread. Lmao.

Sponsored

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I love the last two comments replying to a comment that isn't mine as if it were.

People getting downright douchey in this thread. Lmao.
so, you're confused by the replies to CHESHIRE and saying they should be replying to you?? it's very clear to they are replying to CHESHIRE

OP
OP

Comadivine11

Black Diamond
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Chevy Astro Van
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
so, you're confused by the replies to CHESHIRE and saying they should be replying to you?? it's very clear to they are replying to CHESHIRE
Reading comprehension is hard:

From guernsej: " If you don't want it that's fine, but you started a thread asking if it was useless and you've received plenty of evidence that's not the case so why keep arguing the point?"

And Gamecock's response states, "why are you spending so much time on the topic? Your arguments werenā€™t particularly compelling." , which wouldn't make sense if it wasn't intended to the OP given that Chesire's comments are his first on this thread.

Yes, they are replying to Cheshire's comment, but it's obvious they thought Cheshire was the OP.

Last edited:

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

might be just a tad paranoid. it's not all about you.