First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Black Diamond 2 DR
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I did some searching, but its my first thread, so dont beat me up too badly.

Has anyone spent enough time around Bronco to figure out why we couldnt just order up the same sway bar setup and put it under any trim? Im sure there will be manual options out there, but I cant imagine there is much of anything different on the front end to prevent adding this?
Sponsored

foremi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, T1 V10, T7, YXZ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's the reason the Badlands trim exists. They have to differentiate the 37 trim options somehow.

I'm pretty sure the Rubicon is the same way.

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'89 Land Rover 90 p/u, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Has anyone spent enough time around Bronco to figure out why we couldnt just order up the same sway bar setup and put it under any trim? Im sure there will be manual options out there, but I cant imagine there is much of anything different on the front end to prevent adding this?
I think the main issue would be the electronics involved.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I think the main issue would be the electronics involved.
Right. The question is: electronics or electrics? If it's just power on power off, easy peasy. You wouldn't have speed limitations etc, but it would work. If the bar itself has some electronics integrated to control it would be a different story, beyond my understanding.

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'89 Land Rover 90 p/u, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Right. The question is: electronics or electrics? If it's just power on power off, easy peasy. You wouldn't have speed limitations etc, but it would work. If the bar itself has some electronics integrated to control it would be a different story, beyond my understanding.
Agreed. Probably too early to tell but now that they are hitting the streets I'm guessing someone will figure it out.

Sponsored

Scohin

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I seem to remember there was something involving the ECU and another module of some kind that made it very unlikely to simply install the Sway Bar disco and a ForScan.

RG7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B8 A4, 2018 Triumph Street Triple R
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Getting the swaybar disconnect unit to talk to the PCM is the consensus reason why the swap isn’t feasible. Not to say that it can’t be done, but would likely be more trouble than it’s worth.

Would require full access to the computer, which mfg’s are making more and more difficult with each generation. Once you achieve that, we have to figure out which values to modify in the software, with the understanding that a mistake could brick the computer depending on the level of coding we are talking about.

Now, if the disconnect switch went to a separate control module JUST for the disconnect which then went straight to the unit itself, that would be a different story. My understanding is everything goes through the main computer module which makes a swap unfeasible. Not impossible, just very difficult.

There’s a reason you never see wrangler sport owners swapping in the Rubicon electric disconnect. Because it’s free to disconnect your end links with a ratchet and wrench, or $100 for quick disconnects.

Scohin

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Getting the swaybar disconnect unit to talk to the PCM is the consensus reason why the swap isn’t feasible. Not to say that it can’t be done, but would likely be more trouble than it’s worth.

Would require full access to the computer, which mfg’s are making more and more difficult with each generation. Once you achieve that, we have to figure out which values to modify in the software, with the understanding that a mistake could brick the computer depending on the level of coding we are talking about.

Now, if the disconnect switch went to a separate control module JUST for the disconnect which then went straight to the unit itself, that would be a different story. My understanding is everything goes through the main computer module which makes a swap unfeasible. Not impossible, just very difficult.

There’s a reason you never see wrangler sport owners swapping in the Rubicon electric disconnect. Because it’s free to disconnect your end links with a ratchet and wrench, or $100 for quick disconnects.
Weird I had a friend Rubicon his Sport with the stock lockers. I dunno how he did it though

foremi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, T1 V10, T7, YXZ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For some reason when I read the OP I thought you were asking why it was limited to the Badlands trim, not for a custom install. Ford likely has it implemented with feedback and engage confirmation sensors but for the demos they had it sitting on a table with 2 wire connections going to it so who knows what is needed at a minimum to make it work.

Sway Bar Thread

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wildtrack 2DR MIC OW, 2014 KTM RC8R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I SUPER WISH this option was available on the Wildtack. Lame, I get the Badlands trim, but i was also interested in the prerunner options on WT more. I would have totally paid more for it, but, rats, not an option.

Sponsored

RG7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B8 A4, 2018 Triumph Street Triple R
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Weird I had a friend Rubicon his Sport with the stock lockers. I dunno how he did it though
The Rubi lockers can be wired directly to the wrangler aux switches. If that were possible with the disconnect, would be simple to do on a non Badlands/FE. Unfortunately, it goes to the PCM which is where the issue lies.

OP
OP
wyobronco

wyobronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Black Diamond 2 DR
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I can really see me trying to tackle this. Need to get my Bronco and get a better understanding of the whole deal. Im sure in a year there will be plenty of options, im more curious than anything.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I explain the challenges here, lots of electrical integration.

Bronco Stabilizer Bar Disconnect Operational & Service Information

Highlights

NOTE: The stabilizer bar disconnect button press information is transmitted on CAN from the SIMA to the ATCM to the CHCM, via the GWM.

NOTE: Any diagnosis of issues with the stabilizer bar disconnect button operation should include the SIMA, GWM and ATCM modules.
CHCM: The CHCM is the logic module for the front stabilizer bar disconnect system. Multiple modules/system inputs are used for the front stabilizer bar disconnect system to enable the connection and disconnection of the stabilizer bar depending on the user request or the driving mode.

HPNQ420

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '19 GTI, '88 R100GS, HPN BMW G/S
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I explain the challenges here, lots of electrical integration.

Bronco Stabilizer Bar Disconnect Operational & Service Information

Highlights
I would bet that in the end, the CHCM just decides whether to supply 12v to a solenoid valve that is normally closed in order to open it, and you could do that with a switch, if you want to be able to just connect or disconnect on command without the safety feature of reconnecting in certain modes and speeds. Kind of like unbolting the links without the hassle.

Not to say I might not lose that bet, but the sway bar disconnect is incredibly mechanically simple and I think most of the controls are to keep people from disconnecting it when they shouldn't.
Sponsored