BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm with @OK_Hunter on this one brother. I will spend a couple hundred to buy quick disconnect end links and save about $1.8k by installing myself. The whole idea of engaging the disconnect under load sounds nice but barely anyone who wheels will actually do that. If you know you're going off-road, it's best to go ahead and disconnect before you start the trail. Then, you don't have to worry about it down the trail when things get hairy. That is just my $.02. You just can't be afraid to maybe get a little dirt on ya' when it comes time to disconnect.
I don't agree with that logic as you are getting more off-road features than just the auto disconnect in the OP's comparison. Otherwise you are saving $2k on not having MGV & washout interior, another $2k for not having upgraded bash/skid plates & rock rails, and another $2k for front & back steel bumpers. (That's some government accounting right there!) Unless the other features are of no importance to you but if you are in a place that requires you to disconnect then I bet you are going to want some of those extras. And there is no way you are buying all those "extras" from the aftermarket for 2k, even if you do bolt them on yourself.

And nobody said you had to wait until you needed the auto disco to push the button. You can just as easily push the button when you hit the trail head and disconnect. The good thing about the auto disco, is if you do forget to reconnect before heading home, is that it will reconnect for you. This is coming from a guy with manual disconnects on his Jeep (ie, 18mm wrench) who forgot once to reconnect going home.

Long story short, it is worth it for me but everyone should evaluate what they will actually be doing with your Bronco and get the features that best suit their own needs.
Sponsored

OP
OP
That_Hal

That_Hal

Badlands
First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 and Volvo S90
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't agree with that logic as you are getting more off-road features than just the auto disconnect in the OP's comparison. Otherwise you are saving $2k on not having MGV & washout interior, another $2k for not having upgraded bash/skid plates & rock rails, and another $2k for front & back steel bumpers. (That's some government accounting right there!) Unless the other features are of no importance to you but if you are in a place that requires you to disconnect then I bet you are going to want some of those extras. And there is no way you are buying all those "extras" from the aftermarket for 2k, even if you do bolt them on yourself.

And nobody said you had to wait until you needed the auto disco to push the button. You can just as easily push the button when you hit the trail head and disconnect. The good thing about the auto disco, is if you do forget to reconnect before heading home, is that it will reconnect for you. This is coming from a guy with manual disconnects on his Jeep (ie, 18mm wrench) who forgot once to reconnect going home.

Long story short, it is worth it for me but everyone should evaluate what they will actually be doing with your Bronco and get the features that best suit their own needs.
I think my original post really didn't cover all those extra... Not on purpose but honestly didn't think about them but now it is definitely pushing me that direction.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think my original post really didn't cover all those extra... Not on purpose but honestly didn't think about them but now it is definitely pushing me that direction.
Besure to check Ford's website for an actual comparison of options. WT does come with some bash plates and maybe the capable front bumper. But BL has upgraded bash plates, steel bumpers front & back as well as the rock rails.

Jwall

Base
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

For $2k, I’ll manually disconnect..... As much as I want the electronic, it’s just not cost effective. Especially if the damn thing fails.

Rubisquatch

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Is it possible we could get some input from those that actually disconnect sway bars in previously owned vehicles.

-> Does it really help?
-> How often do you disconnect?
-> What kind of off-roading do you do?
-> The little bit more articulation you get worth the assumed 'floaty' feeling that comes with the handling (Scarier feeling to tip over due to sway)
-> Does it make passengers more motion sick going over bumps or help?
Having owned 2 Jeep Rubicons and used them as daily drivers and ran them on trails locally, in Colorado, Moab and even on the Rubicon trail, my answers are:

- Yes, it really helps.
- As others mentioned, I disconnect at the beginning of every trail. This helps a lot more an just “rock crawling” alought it really helps there. It helps on dirt/washboard roads, ruts/holes, climbing over small branches, riding one wheel on the trail and one wheel off the trail (to avoid stuff). Disconnecting makes the ride smoother and is plain old better off the pavement.
- The more articulation is worth it and there is no floaty feeling because you only are disconnected when going slow-ish, then I connect back when I’m going to be going faster/over 20mph. And the Bronco SBD automatically connects for you if you up the speed. Which does happen because on most trails you will go slow but there are always sections super easy where you go faster or need to catch up to a buddy. It does not make the passengers more motion sick, in fact using the disco makes it better.
- Aftermarket should have some cheaper quick disco kits and they will work fine, I just prefer to push a button when I want to.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't need the disco, but I want the manual transmission with the most capable suspension and lockers.

So, I wouldn't spend $2K on it if it were a stand-alone option. I'm going to use it every chance I get, though.

Neps

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MX-5, Focus EV, F150, F350, Scout II (2)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

On my builds and with my limited knowledge of every option in every trim, the BL -SBD, washout floors, and MGV came out as $1175 above the WT with added steel bumpers, bash plates, and skids.

BL, 2.7, Auto, SAS, Mid Package + Dest = $51070

WT, (includes 2.7, Auto, SAS, Mid Package), Steel bumpers, Bash Plates, Rock Rails + Dest = $49895

I'm still on the fence about the value, does BL have other options that the WT doesn't?

Do both have, I think Ford calls it, the advanced Instrument Panel? Am I missing any other options that the BL has above WT (as configured above)? Attempting to convince the boss that the BL is the better deal.

Thanks,

Edit: Two door WT
Ford Bronco Sway bar disconnect worth $2k? 1610561845019
Ford Bronco Sway bar disconnect worth $2k? 1610562019562

Last edited:

MillerBuilt

Wildtrak
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy 3500, Dodge 2500, F150, Mercedez E350
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

On my builds and with my limited knowledge of every option in every trim, the BL -SBD, washout floors, and MGV came out as $1175 above the WT with added steel bumpers, bash plates, and skids.

WT, (includes 2.7, Auto, SAS, Mid Package), Steel bumpers, Bash Plates, Rock Rails + Dest = $49895

I'm still on the fence about the value, does BL have other options that the WT doesn't?

Do both have, I think Ford calls it, the advanced Instrument Panel? Am I missing any other options that the BL has above WT (as configured above)? Attempting to convince the boss that the BL is the better deal.

Thanks,
Double checking.....is this the right price? Or is it 61 and 59?
I’m in the same questioning phase of WT or BL

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am right now between the wildtrak and the BL. I am trying to figure out if it is with the 2k difference. Thoughts?
And I probably won't be doing a ton of rock climbing and more trail riding.
I also wonder if the resale will be helped with having it.
The numbers are different for everyone because we configure our Broncos differently. For me, the Wildtrack was much more expensive than the Badlands. The Badlands was quite a bit more expensive than the Outer Banks until I realized I would be fine with MGV in Badlands but need to get the leather upgrade in Outer Banks. Then Badlands got close enough in price that having all of the extra hardware seemed like money well-spent, and if I ever decided to sell, probably more desired.

That said, I wouldn't pay anywhere near $2K for the disconnect and that's the one feature the BL has over OB that I think I might use the most.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If it was a stand-alone feature, no it wouldn't be worth 2K. But as mentioned above it comes with a lot of other features.

But I'm looking forward to the sway-bar disco, not for the extra travel, but for smoothing out the ride while cruising down some washboards or on the beach.
This. It seems like everyone talking about the disconnect is imagining it only in rock-crawling scenarios. But rutted and washboard roads are going to be a much more common way to use it if people would realize.

Sponsored

Rubisquatch

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thanks,

Edit: Two door WT
As a reminder, when you add steel bumper to WT you ONLY get the front. The rear steel bumper is NOT gettable on a WT.

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

IMHO if you're in that price range then $2k should not be the determining factor anyway .... your wants and use should be choice maker

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am right now between the wildtrak and the BL. I am trying to figure out if it is with the 2k difference. Thoughts?
And I probably won't be doing a ton of rock climbing and more trail riding.
I also wonder if the resale will be helped with having it.
I think $2K is a fair price for the actual components included, but only you can answer if the small improvement in safety, comfort, and convenience for tippy obstacles is worth it.

The real problem is that is not an independent $2K decision but wrapped in lots of other compromises between trims.

Book value is often dominated by original base price and not options. That may favor wildtrak which has 2.7L/auto/sasq in the base price. But "badlands bronco -sport" may be a popular search for used buyers.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is it possible we could get some input from those that actually disconnect sway bars in previously owned vehicles.

-> Does it really help?
-> How often do you disconnect?
-> What kind of off-roading do you do?
-> The little bit more articulation you get worth the assumed 'floaty' feeling that comes with the handling (Scarier feeling to tip over due to sway)
-> Does it make passengers more motion sick going over bumps or help?
I had it on my jeep until I swapped them out for the antirock which stays connected at all times.

-with a solid front axle, yes it helps a great deal.
-with IFS on my truck and wife’s grand cherokee it wouldnt be of much benefit.

i rock crawl and hit moderate to difficult trails with all 3 vehicles.

Going with a BL not just for the disconnect but all the other items included over a WT.

HarderCorer

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If you have to ask, no. If you're experienced enough to know when to use one, you'll know if you need one.
Sponsored