Sponsored

Swaybar disconnect. Worth the upgrade to badlands?

aman43

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
After watching lots of overlanding videos i have decided i need this car to get over anything it can. However it seems like the only major difference between the badlands and the lower model is that the badlands has swaybar disconnect.

How important will the swaybar disconnect be? is it absolutely worth going with the badlands trim?

still 90% convinced with the badlands just want to hear from experienced off roaders. Seems like i will be spending tons of money on accessories so if i can save money it would be cool.
Sponsored

OP
OP

aman43

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Absolutely worth it.
why specifically? I know it helps with articulation but based on that video the other day it seems like the sasquatch tires have not alot of room to articulate inside the wheel well.

Since the car is IFS , is lifting it harder? Do you need longer uh... struts (dont know the term for the moving part the wheel is attached to via suspension)

lightbulb

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
The swaybar limits the amount the wheels can travel relative to each other.

351HO

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 F-150, 92 Ranger, 85 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm in the same boat. Choosing Badlands mainly for the sway bar disconnect. I consider it a must-have.
Articulation makes all the difference when going over challenging obstacles.

I'm still hoping that they will allow this option on other trims once the configurator goes live.

The aftermarket will likely have some kind of manual disconnect available but obviously won't be as convenient as the factory setup.

EDIT: I found a nice gif from this thread of the disconnect in action during the reveal. (Thanks @Spooled)

Ford Bronco {thread} {filename}

Last edited:

Sponsored

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

How much time are you going to spend offroad and what kind of terrain will it be?

For crawling and technical trails I think it's absolutely worth it.

There are some great youtube videos comparing flex with and without it.

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm not sure if Ford has said yet how fast you can go with the sway bar disconnected, but disconecting the sway bar can yield a more comfortable ride over bumpy trails as well.

I would say sway bar disconnect is very important, but not as important as front and rear lockers.

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

why specifically? I know it helps with articulation but based on that video the other day it seems like the sasquatch tires have not alot of room to articulate inside the wheel well.

Since the car is IFS , is lifting it harder? Do you need longer uh... struts (dont know the term for the moving part the wheel is attached to via suspension)
It's a double a-arm front suspension so they're coilover shocks (struts are shocks that can take lateral loads and the also tend to be coilovers) but yes, IFS takes more work to lift than solid axle.

But sway back disconnects are valuable on solid axle suspensions as well.

I consider the sway bar disconnect a must-have because I intend on doing some rougher trails where it would help.

OP
OP

aman43

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm in the same boat. Choosing Badlands mainly for the sway bar disconnect. I consider it a must-have.
Articulation makes all the difference when going over challenging obstacles.

I'm still hoping that they will allow this option on other trims once the configurator goes live.

The aftermarket will likely have some kind of manual disconnect available but obviously won't be as convenient as the factory setup.

EDIT: I found a nice gif from this thread of the disconnect in action during the reveal. (Thanks @Spooled)

Ford Bronco {thread} {filename}
Am i wrong saying that the sasquatch here might not be lifted high enough to fully use this system?

rcbickle

First Edition
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 FX4, BMW M550i, BMW Z4, Mini Cooper, Bronco First Edition Reservation
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

After watching lots of overlanding videos i have decided i need this car to get over anything it can. However it seems like the only major difference between the badlands and the lower model is that the badlands has swaybar disconnect.

How important will the swaybar disconnect be? is it absolutely worth going with the badlands trim?

still 90% convinced with the badlands just want to hear from experienced off roaders. Seems like i will be spending tons of money on accessories so if i can save money it would be cool.
If you want to go down fire roads and better-maintained offroading areas, probably not needed. But if you desire the rougher stuff, are want to be able to go into rougher terrain on occasion, totally worth it. One of the best features of this over the Jeep system is the ability to do it under load. This means if you get into something that does need it, you can activate it in that terrain. Jeep requires you to engage/disengage the disconnect on flat surfaces.

Sponsored

lightbulb

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Another way to look at it is removal of the swaybar helps keep the wheels on the ground. Wheels on the ground = Happy family. Happy family = More wheeling. More wheeling = More better. FWIW, I don't plan to buy a Bronco without the push button disconnect.

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I'm not sure if Ford has said yet how fast you can go with the sway bar disconnected, but disconecting the sway bar can yield a more comfortable ride over bumpy trails as well.

I would say sway bar disconnect is very important, but not as important as front and rear lockers.
I'm pretty sure it can only be activated in 4L. It can be disconnected under load so I wouldn't be surprised if it automatically locks back once you get over a certain speed.

Jchetty

Badlands
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Tacoma, 00 Lightning
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Which model are you comparing it to? I would assume the Black Diamond as it has the same interior, bumpers, rear locker.

Remember the Badlands also adds the Bilsteins, front locker, auto 4wd, side view mirror turn signals, Baja mode, full led signature lighting, 33” tires with aluminum wheels (instead of 32” tires/steel wheels), and the better Dana 210 front axles.

Edit** for me front diff >>>front sway bar disconnect. It will be a while before I climb anything too crazy. But be able to pull me out using front and rear diff will be a great help for mud/ soft stuff, and snow.

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm pretty sure it can only be activated in 4L. It can be disconnected under load so I wouldn't be surprised if it automatically locks back once you get over a certain speed.
Last trail run I did, I was in 4 low, and first gear, almost the whole time. If you start moving trough the gears, you can still move fairly quickly in 4 low on most vehicles. Owners manual for the Wrangler for example says you can use 4 low up to 25mph. That's not very practical for Rubicons with the 4:1 transfer case though. You would be pushing high RPMs, and hearing a lot of gear noise.

351HO

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 F-150, 92 Ranger, 85 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m pretty sure it reconnects at 20mph. I can’t find the source but will update with a link as soon as I find it.

You bring up a good point about improving the ride quality over bumpy trails. Hopefully ford allows us to somehow cancel the reconnect.
Sponsored