Sponsored

Swing out tail gate and oversized Cargo...

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ditto on the tailgate slide out. Was thinking the exact same thing. Found an image to illustrate. Don't know why but this is concerning me a bit. So what would happen if we left the tailgate open (but tied so it is not swinging freely?

strap.jpg
Probably "over swing" and bend the crap out of the mounting points.
Sponsored

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Assuming they build it with proper hinges, a swing out tailgate is nothing new. I have an aftermarket swing out accessory rack on my fj40 from the 70s that more than takes the abuse of a spare tire + a rack above the spare tire + all the weight on it . This is going to be a zero issue topic. This swing out tailgate with weight on it is nothing new. Even Yeeps do it & they are mostly toy trucks.
There's a big difference between the forces when you are parked vs when you're rolling. I'm sure it's fine when stopped, it's when you hit a pothole or speed bump you didn't see that that big spare tire has a 2 foot lever to put force onto the hinge. No way it's designed for that

Locked-n-loaded

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.socalfj40.com
Vehicle(s)
'74 Toyota FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There's a big difference between the forces when you are parked vs when you're rolling. I'm sure it's fine when stopped, it's when you hit a pothole or speed bump you didn't see that that big spare tire has a 2 foot lever to put force onto the hinge. No way it's designed for that
This is still a non issue. You need to understand that this is something that's been done for a hell of a long time. a spare tire (even a 35) on a swing out tailgate? my FJ40 has had this since the 70s. You're not hitting a pothole with the tailgate open, you're hitting a pothole with the tailgate closed. which gives it even more strength. I can guarantee you this is not an issue that people are making that it could be. This is so so basic on industrial strength off-road vehicles.

I'm going to take it one step further... one time when I was in Utah mountain biking Moab rim trail I saw some guys in their rigs with rear mounted tires using them essentially to get bouncing momentum to get up steep inclines.

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This is still a non issue. You need to understand that this is something that's been done for a hell of a long time. a spare tire (even a 35) on a swing out tailgate? my FJ40 has had this since the 70s. You're not hitting a pothole with the tailgate open, you're hitting a pothole with the tailgate closed. which gives it even more strength. I can guarantee you this is not an issue that people are making that it could be. This is so so basic on industrial strength off-road vehicles.

I'm going to take it one step further... one time when I was in Utah mountain biking Moab rim trail I saw some guys in their rigs with rear mounted tires using them essentially to get bouncing momentum to get up steep inclines.
One of us is not understanding,
I thought the OP was thinking about driving around with the tailgate swung open and unlatched, sticking straight back

If the tailgate is latched and closed. Yeah I would certainly hope it would be OK to drive around like that ☺

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If you have a 35 on the gate and need to have it open for loads. Having it strapped tightly against the cargo towards the closed position and then no reason not to triangulate up aswell to support the hinges. You can strap anything to anything as long as you use basic physics and geometry in your planning and anticipate the hazards and forces of your journey. If you gotta go on the highway you cant do the same stuff as if you have to go around the corner.

Sponsored

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I know my title needs work, but I was at iKea today and while watching people load up their stuff, it dawned on me....

In a hatchback, (or a trunk for that matter) if something is a bit to long, you just strap it in, and then lower the hatch as far down as you can and bungie it down so it doesn't bounce.

I've never owned something with a swing out tail gate... how do you transport something longer ... do you drive with the tail gate swung out and the spare like sticking out from the driver side?
Stick it out the window

Locked-n-loaded

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.socalfj40.com
Vehicle(s)
'74 Toyota FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If they can't figure out proper load, hinges, attachment, reinforcement of the tailgate you can all stop worrying about suspension, sway bars, etc as it will all fail. This is SO basic.

And if you drive around with a side tailgate swiung open, you should have your license revoked.
Sponsored