Sponsored

Swing out tail gate and oversized Cargo...

Sammy7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
There was a video with a Ford rep who said the swing gate would lock at 90° and could swing beyond that with some button release or something. So I think you could leave it open in some way without having to worry about it going into the next lane
I’d only trust that feature when it’s not moving.
Sponsored

Firefly

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Ford F250 Super Duty
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
There was a video with a Ford rep who said the swing gate would lock at 90° and could swing beyond that with some button release or something. So I think you could leave it open in some way without having to worry about it going into the next lane
It doesn't lock. There is a detent at 90 degrees that will hold it there, but it just takes a little more pressure to swing it to the next detent at the fully open position. Just like your average car door has a midway stop.

harpo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not as many as I thought
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For me the swing gate is the worst feature. I understand the choice and see the logic, ie where to put the spare? But in addition to your point how functional is the swing gate in a parking lot? I ski a lot and they wave everyone into park. I can't pick to make sure no one is behind me. How far will it open with a car behind me? What happens when it is blizzarding and a gust grabs it? Did I just trash the hood of the Subaru behind me? Seriously. I'm not an aftermarket guy but if some comes out with a tailgate retrofit I'll get it.

Sponsored

BeerForMyHorses

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma TRD Offroad
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This thread was good in that it got me thinking about it because it's a good question, but I quickly realized it's not a deal breaker for how I'll use the bronco.

Anything I need to haul but can't fit through the rear window being open, I'll just put on a small utility trailer

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Just use ratchet straps on it. The swing gate locks at different positions but even still you can use a board and a ratchet strap to hold it in a position and use your forward most tie down for another strap. Lots of ways to sort it out with the proper cargo kit. I like a mix of bungees, ratchet straps, and rope(or just more ratchetless straps. Cargo nets and truck tailgate nets can be handy with large weird loads.

Mac n Nevada

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser/2019 Jeep GC Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I assume you are not getting the roof rack?...I just strap the long stuff onto the rack.

Sahara00

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 wrangler, 2017 WRX, 2001Bmw 330cic
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The bronco sits high enough that it will clear an car hood that parks behind you.

Sponsored

Garbone

Big Bend
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1962 C10, 21 Mustang, 12 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Honestly, when we did not have a truck in town rentals for UHaul utility trailers are the bomb.

OP
OP

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yeah... if I know I need to haul... I could dig out my utility trailer from the back of the garage (its one of those fold ups) ... but what a PITA.

I'm more thinking like when you are out, and didn't really plan on buying something that is ... what... 2 feet long? and now you can't shut the tailgate? I will be buying that slide out tail gate so either that will make it easy enough to get it up on the roof rack, or help support it sticking out the back with the rear door strapped as closed as it can be.

Locked-n-loaded

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.socalfj40.com
Vehicle(s)
'74 Toyota FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Assuming they build it with proper hinges, a swing out tailgate is nothing new. I have an aftermarket swing out accessory rack on my fj40 from the 70s that more than takes the abuse of a spare tire + a rack above the spare tire + all the weight on it . This is going to be a zero issue topic. This swing out tailgate with weight on it is nothing new. Even Yeeps do it & they are mostly toy trucks.
Sponsored