Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

A question I never see answered: How is the comfort of the MGV? Soft as cloth, firm as leather, in between?
Sponsored

BroncMO

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hey all. Been here a while but this is my first post. I know the struggle between MGV\leather continues for some, so I wanted to post in case it helps anyone. All of the posts here have been a tremendous help for me.

I saw the two red Broncos in St. Louis last week. Both were Badlands, one with MGV and one with leather. My main goal was to affirm my long-standing choice for MGV.

For context I've ordered a Black 4DR Badlands 2.3MT Lux w/ MIC top.

My first impression of the MGV was how great it looked. My second impression was how great it felt. I really liked it a lot, and I felt immediately confident in my decision. I looked at and sat in the leather for a while, and it was fine, but I wasn't sure I even liked it quite as much as the MGV. I was feeling really, really good about the MGV.

Then I got in the driver's seat of the MGV bronco. Had to adjust the seat. Up until this point I'd been firmly in the "you just set it and forget it!" camp of the manual vs. power seats debate. I don't know exactly what it was, but it was some of the clumsiest manual seat adjusting I've experienced. I spent what felt like a minute, while my buddy laughed and commented "dude you have to get the power seats this is not working for you". I never did get it dialed-in to my satisfaction. Especially the height - really hard to get right for me.

I went back to the leather Bronco. Ahh power seat adjustment bliss. The additional "ways" were also really nice. Being able to tilt up/down the front of the seat can make a big difference throughout a road trip. Maybe I've just gotten spoiled, and if so that's fine I'll own it, but that power seat adjust just felt right. I also then realized another reason the manual adjust bothered me - it felt so out of place in the otherwise luxurious and glorious interior of the Bronco. Everything in it is awesome, there's plenty of other reports detailing it. But then manual seat controls? On a $50k+ vehicle? It'd be like if they had manual roll down windows. It was just... wrong.

I moved on to spending more time in and around the Bronco, and in the back seat. Not as big as I imagined, but still fine. I fit, but with little room to spare (6'1 180lbs). I wouldn't want to be back there too long. My kids will be fine. But what stood out more than I'd like to admit - the missing cupholders with the MGV. I was FIRMLY in the "you've got to be kidding me who cares about the cupholders" camp. And I don't necessarily care about the cupholders specifically, but I didn't realize or grasp that it wasn't just the cupholders that were missing, it was the entire fold-down arm rest in between the two backseats. It just isn't there at all on the MGV. Huge deal? No. But another extra touch of "fit & finish" that was missing and felt "off" about the MGV Bronco.

About this time cognitive dissonance started to kick-in and my subconscious resolved it by starting to really appreciate the leather. It was softer (both to the touch, and the cushioning when sitting in it) and more welcoming. Maybe akin to an Eames lounge chair, it just had a maturity to it that grew on me. The MGV is much "tighter" and felt firmer to sit on.

The MGV is great. If I could get it with the power seats, I probably would, because I'd feel a little better about never putting the top on. I was also feeling good about the MGV as it relates to kids and dogs and messes, but people have been cleaning messes out of non-MGV cars for a long time. As for the price difference, I don't really care. I'm getting what I want regardless.

So with all that said. I'm probably switching to leather. I've just been team MGV for so long I'm procrastinating a bit in pulling the trigger. I know my heart wants it. I've updated a few people on my decision and always get the response "really? You'd give up the wash-out for power seats? This is an off-road vehicle!". Yes. I know. But when I'm out on the trails being really tough and rugged, I think I'll be wishing I could get my seat tilted justtttt so. And I'm guessing I'll use the power seats and cupholders much more often than I'd take it topless through a carwash anyway.

EDIT: Following up from some of the comments.

- If I was getting a 2 door, MGV no question. I would not get the leather for leather's sake.
- Both the MGV and the leather had the MOLLE on the backs of the front seats.
- It was not warm outside when I was there so I can't comment on the temperature of MGV vs. leather.
- I couldn't tell what part of the "leather trimmed" seat was leather and what was vinyl. Whatever the vinyl part was, I did not resemble the MGV.
- The vehicle with MGV did not have a middle pull-down armrest. Apparently B&P says it does\will. This vehicle did not.
I sat in these same two Broncos. The leather seats, to me, are much nicer and were much more comfortable/easy to adjust. The leather had a nice firm, thick, “football” type feel.

The manual adjustment was not great. I also thought the MGV was “squishy” but I seem to be in the minority in that view.

It was 80 degrees and sunny when I was there, and there was no noticeable temperature difference or issue between the two seats.

B&P does not include a fold down arm rest for MGV.

OP
OP
nottinbe

nottinbe

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A question I never see answered: How is the comfort of the MGV? Soft as cloth, firm as leather, in between?

The MGV had a soft feel to the touch. Almost like a very thin felt maybe. It didn't feel like felt or cloth, but it certainly didn't feel like leather or vinyl. Or possibly like I'd imagine a very very thin pile suede or microfiber? It was pulled much tighter than the leather. I liked the look. Very modern. To sit in it, the seat itself was firmer than the leather. I would hesitate to call it firm because that may sound like a negative, and it wasn't. Just comparatively it didn't seem to have as much give as the leather seats.

The leather had a " nice firm, thick, “football” type feel. " to quote BroncoMO. I suppose typical of what you would expect from non-luxury vehicle car leather. At first, seeing the two side-by-side, I didn't like it as much because the MGV just looks very "fresh", but after spending some time I began to appreciate the more "natural" look of the leather. To sit in, the seat itself felt softer than the MGV. I think it had a little more give. It felt nice, it wasn't too squishy.

As far as the seat material itself, I'd be really happy with either. If we could choose to put whatever seat material we wanted with any combo of options we wanted, I'd go MGV to get the washout ability. But given the constraints we have, I think for me personally I want the power seats and rear seat armrest.

Herbie

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey all. Been here a while but this is my first post. I know the struggle between MGV\leather continues for some, so I wanted to post in case it helps anyone. All of the posts here have been a tremendous help for me.

I saw the two red Broncos in St. Louis last week. Both were Badlands, one with MGV and one with leather. My main goal was to affirm my long-standing choice for MGV.

My first impression of the MGV was how great it looked. My second impression was how great it felt. I really liked it a lot, and I felt immediately confident in my decision. I looked at and sat in the leather for a while, and it was fine, but I wasn't sure I even liked it quite as much as the MGV. I was feeling really, really good about the MGV.

Then I got in the driver's seat of the MGV bronco. Had to adjust the seat. Up until this point I'd been firmly in the "you just set it and forget it!" camp of the manual vs. power seats debate. I don't know exactly what it was, but it was some of the clumsiest manual seat adjusting I've experienced. I spent what felt like a minute, while my buddy laughed and commented "dude you have to get the power seats this is not working for you". I never did get it dialed-in to my satisfaction. Especially the height - really hard to get right for me.

I went back to the leather Bronco. Ahh power seat adjustment bliss. The additional "ways" were also really nice. Being able to tilt up/down the front of the seat can make a big difference throughout a road trip. Maybe I've just gotten spoiled, and if so that's fine I'll own it, but that power seat adjust just felt right. I also then realized another reason the manual adjust bothered me - it felt so out of place in the otherwise luxurious and glorious interior of the Bronco. Everything in it is awesome, there's plenty of other reports detailing it. But then manual seat controls? On a $50k+ vehicle? It'd be like if they had manual roll down windows. It was just... wrong.

I moved on to spending more time in and around the Bronco, and in the back seat. Not as big as I imagined, but still fine. I fit, but with little room to spare (6'1 180lbs). I wouldn't want to be back there too long. My kids will be fine. But what stood out more than I'd like to admit - the missing cupholders with the MGV. I was FIRMLY in the "you've got to be kidding me who cares about the cupholders" camp. And I don't necessarily care about the cupholders specifically, but I didn't realize or grasp that it wasn't just the cupholders that were missing, it was the entire fold-down arm rest in between the two backseats. It just isn't there at all on the MGV. Huge deal? No. But another extra touch of "fit & finish" that was missing and felt "off" about the MGV Bronco.

About this time cognitive dissonance started to kick-in and my subconscious resolved it by starting to really appreciate the leather. It was softer (both to the touch, and the cushioning when sitting in it) and more welcoming. Maybe akin to an Eames lounge chair, it just had a maturity to it that grew on me. The MGV is much "tighter" and felt firmer to sit on.

The MGV is great. If I could get it with the power seats, I probably would, because I'd feel a little better about never putting the top on. I was also feeling good about the MGV as it relates to kids and dogs and messes, but people have been cleaning messes out of non-MGV cars for a long time. As for the price difference, I don't really care. I'm getting what I want regardless.

So with all that said. I'm probably switching to leather. I've just been team MGV for so long I'm procrastinating a bit in pulling the trigger. I know my heart wants it. I've updated a few people on my decision and always get the response "really? You'd give up the wash-out for power seats? This is an off-road vehicle!". Yes. I know. But when I'm out on the trails being really tough and rugged, I think I'll be wishing I could get my seat tilted justtttt so. And I'm guessing I'll use the power seats and cupholders much more often than I'd take it topless through a carwash anyway.

- If I was getting a 2 door, MGV no question. I would not get the leather for leather's sake.
- It was not warm outside when I was there so I can't comment on the temperature of MGV vs. leather.
- I couldn't tell what part of the "leather trimmed" seat was leather and what was vinyl. Whatever the vinyl part was, I did not resemble the MGV.
- The vehicle with MGV did not have a middle pull-down armrest. Apparently B&P says it does\will. This vehicle did not.
I switched from the MGV to the leather for all the reason you mention.

Sponsored

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Become a mechanic, drive everyone's vehicles, and you'll never care about seating position again.

Herbie

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Herbie

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Rubisquatch

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thanks for the review. I struggled with this for a while too as I liked the MGV. But once I saw more pics and learned more I went leather. For me I wanted the black color of the leather whereas the MGV (in BL) is grey. I also wanted the power seats, the cup holders and the carpet (as should offer slightly more sound deadening). We have an 80lb dog and I think the leather is thicker and may hold up better. Then, when I saw a pic of the floor under the carpet and learned the drain plugs are still there under the carpet, that made me more comfortable with the leather.

Also, both my Jeeps had leather and no issues at all.

Last edited:

Cbiggs

Badlands
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
85 CJ, 94 YJ, 04 JK, 17 Taco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

fantastic insight, 🙏

Sponsored

ramblinwreck

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`22 Wildtrak, '21 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Being able to park it with the top off and not worry about rain keeps me in the MGV camp.
My JKUR had leather and carpet, got rained in multiple, one time over an inch, and the leather had no ill effects. The carpet dried completely out within a day or so with the drain plugs removed. It’s really not a big issue.
With Jeep’s the problem was the electronics. The blinker switch and navigation system could not take getting wet. Lucky is that Ford fixed that glitch with the Bronco and made all of the interior water resistant.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I wish I could get the rubber floors, cloth seats, power seats, and rear cupholders in their top of the line, 50k+ Trim

Maybe they should call it the Common Sense package.

JMBGlass

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Toyota Tacoma/C.O. Badlands 2.7 4Dr hardtop
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Last month, I switched from leather to MGV for my BL 4dr order. I'm gonna miss power seats, but I don't think I'll miss power seats that don't have the 'memory' function. So many, or maybe even most(?) cars with power seats out there have this feature, and I just don't understand why Ford didn't include it. Otherwise, I certainly am a fan of the idea of a washable interior. The lack of rear cup holders is pretty lame too, but we'll just make sure my kid's water bottles have a caribiner to clip onto the back of the molle grid I suppose. It's a shame to have to make these concessions for a 50K+ vehicle, but it's such a cool looking and super capable one otherwise.

Raskew

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco, 2018 Stinger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm someone that originally went with MGV, switched to leather when my wife found out about the lack of power seats in MGV, and just recently switched back to MGV after showing her firsthand feedback from people recently.

My 2 cents for my decisioning factors to go MGV over leather in my Badlands if it helps anyone:
  • Difference of over $2200
  • Washout interior - leather is not as resilient to water/rain and not as easy to clean as MGV, and you get carpeted floors which are harder to clean
  • Power seats - it's nice to have but I won't adjust much after setting it
  • Leather does not have memory seat function - this makes it much less appealing
  • Cupholders in the middle fold down seat only available with leather - kind of annoying but there are a lot of easy solutions with the molle system and pockets in the doors
I may have been tempted to upgrade to leather if there was a memory seat function but as it stands, you gain minimal (if at all) seating material upgrade and two cupholders in the rear seating, but lose the easy cleanout function. Honestly, I would probably not even do this for $1000, let alone $2200.
Where has it been confirmed that leather seats doesn't have memory function. Don't most cars with power seats have a couple of preset seat positions?
Sponsored