Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan altima cp
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hi. Wondering if anyone who’s actually switched over has any YouTube links or “dummy” proof how-to ways of switching the plastic bumper over to a capable bumper. I seem to have only found Plastic to Modular tutorials…

thanks!
Sponsored

Keerplunk

Big Bend
First Name
Izzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Jeep JKU, 2022 Cyber Orange 4Dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I can tell you you wont need a video, the Plastic and Metal "Capable" bumpers are the same process, disconnect the harness, Pop the two covers out, remove three bolts each side. Plastic is removed, Metal "Capable" Hold in place, add three bolts each side(Factory) put covers back on and plug in harness. Took me all of 30 minutes to do the swap in my driveway. If you have a video for removing the plastic one the metal one can be your pretend plastic for the reinstall. Having a friend or a floor jack to help hold the metal one up makes it easier

Just watch the paint when moving the metal one into place I put one bolt in while holding the middle of the bumper and let it hang most of the weight while I put the nut plate I knocked out back in the opposite side, then added a bolt on that side to support the bumper fully.

elseminoleguapo

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Basesquatch
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Hi. Wondering if anyone who’s actually switched over has any YouTube links or “dummy” proof how-to ways of switching the plastic bumper over to a capable bumper. I seem to have only found Plastic to Modular tutorials…

thanks!
I just wrapped up this swap. After swapping the bumpers a few weeks ago, I quickly realized the tow hooks the factory plastic bumper/plastic skid use need to be removed to use the capable bumper and OEM steel skid plates or similarly compatible skids (the plastic skid plate won't fit without some modification). That said, if you're planning this swap, do it with a front skid plate swap at the same time.

Removing the tow rings is the most challenging part of this swap, but very manageable. Until the original tow rings are removed, they'll be right up against the capable bumper and you won't be able to install a skid plate.

The tow rings on the plastic bumper setup are part of a bracket that holds the intercooler in place, so they cannot be removed altogether. You can either order the replacement bracket with no ring used by trims that use the mod or capable bumper from the factory or use a tool to cut off the tow rings and paint the exposed raw metal. I went with that latter option. Once the original tow rings are out of the way, you're able to install the skid plate of your choice. I went with the Ford OEM set. Good luck!

Heelabaloo

Outer Banks
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester, Mazda3
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

thanks!
I’m going to be doing this in May. There was a YouTube video that someone had done that demonstrated this but it appears to be gone. As others have said, it doesn’t look difficult and the getting rid of the factory tow hooks being the only major obstacle. I believe the guy said you could get replacement intercooler mounting brackets from Ford that don’t have the tow hooks for $160. I’ll be sawzalling mine and painting. One other thing he mentioned was the need to shave some off of the plastic mounting bracket for the outside sensors to get them to fit. Wondering if anyone else had to do this?

ChompSticks

Black Diamond
First Name
ChompSticks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 E55 wagon, '98 Suzuki X-90, '96 Town Car
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yup, sawzall off the tow rings. Also may need new parking sensor mounts