Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I didn't want to derail the Texas group order thread. In that thread, it was announced that they will do $1300 below invoice for X-plan (which I qualify for), plus some more off the documentation fee. I'm guessing that's going to be $2000-2500 below MSRP. Financially that may be worth making the switch if we can't get a local dealer to match, and I love taking road trips. But I was just thinking about the logistics. For me in the Austin area that's about a 14 hour drive, ~1000 miles. The old conventional wisdom was that it's not good to run a brand new vehicle at a constant speed for the first thousand miles or so. You wanted vary the speed and rpms quite a bit. It that still a thing? Any concerns with having the first thousand miles all at the same speed on the highway?
Sponsored

Reactions: ELS
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ecoline Van
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I can only speak for the 2.3l out of the Ranger, it's the only one I've actually looked up. But in the Rangers owners manual it has a break in period for the first 1,000mi, Avoid constant RPMs, nothing over 4k RPM and obviously no redline. This is about the 4th time seeing people ask about this and I really hope people take Ford's advice.

Indominus49er

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Romeo, Honda
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I moved to an in state dealer to avoid the mileage as well as this and other considerations in driving a new vehicle such a long distance. Dealer in town will honor x plan and no ADM, etc.

Granger Ford

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I didn't want to derail the Texas group order thread. In that thread, it was announced that they will do $1300 below invoice for X-plan (which I qualify for), plus some more off the documentation fee. I'm guessing that's going to be $2000-2500 below MSRP. Financially that may be worth making the switch if we can't get a local dealer to match, and I love taking road trips. But I was just thinking about the logistics. For me in the Austin area that's about a 14 hour drive, ~1000 miles. The old conventional wisdom was that it's not good to run a brand new vehicle at a constant speed for the first thousand miles or so. You wanted vary the speed and rpms quite a bit. It that still a thing? Any concerns with having the first thousand miles all at the same speed on the highway?
For recommends the first 1000 miles to vary the rpm around every 20 minutes, no fast acceleration or full tilt runs.

Other than that it is all good.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
it is about $800 to ship from Iowa to DFW. If I wanted to go the ultra cheap route I could do a fly and drive for $350 (plane tix=200, gas=100, food=50) and be back to the house before midnight. Yes, I know my time is money, but if my Bronco is not ready until next summer I was probably just spending that day floating in the pool and drinking beer anyway. However, I think it might be fun to make a long weekend out if and drive back through MO and AR and hit a few state and /or national parks along the way.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Lonestar777

Lonestar777

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

@IPCRESS Thanks for the feedback. I’m not worried about the cost of my time. I love driving and love an excuse for a road trip - no issues at all there. I have friends in Springfield, MO and Oklahoma is this would be an excuse to see them on the drive back. It sounds like the drive back wouldn’t be good from a break in perspective, so that answers that.
Back to hoping we can get a local dealer to match with a group buy.

BuckinT29

First Edition
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa 4C Spyder, Ducati V2, BMW X1
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

it is about $800 to ship from Iowa to DFW. If I wanted to go the ultra cheap route I could do a fly and drive for $350 (plane tix=200, gas=100, food=50) and be back to the house before midnight. Yes, I know my time is money, but if my Bronco is not ready until next summer I was probably just spending that day floating in the pool and drinking beer anyway. However, I think it might be fun to make a long weekend out if and drive back through MO and AR and hit a few state and /or national parks along the way.
Logistics hack - Try getting it on a rail car flat bed, faster and cheaper.

CoolerThanCool

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F-150 XLT Sport 2wd 2.7l
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I got a quote from a shipping company to deliver it to Houston. It's about 800-1000. So the savings you get at Granger more than makes up for having it shipped.

OP
OP
Lonestar777

Lonestar777

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thanks! I’m personally probably not interested in having it shipped, but somebody else reading this may consider it.

Sponsored

GiddyUp

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

$850 to ship from Granger to me here in GA ... and still much cheaper than the local dealerships with all the x-plans and whatever else they're offering. To me ... traveling that distance is just a quick 1,000 miles closer to the end of a warranty. Just my two cents anyway.

Jchetty

Badlands
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Tacoma, 00 Lightning
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I dunno about other states, but in NJ dealers play shenanigans. The minimum I would save is $1300. I expect to save more as few NJ will commit to X-Plan with no add ins.

Dealers here have a funny way of adding fees like window etch and all this other stuff.

So if you save $50/hr by not driving, how much does it cost to sit and wait around while the salesperson talks someone in the back. And then walk out because they want you to pay some stupid, undercoating fee.

I would rather deal with a transparent dealership. As for the constant rpm issue, I’m not too worried. I will break up the 16 hour drive into 2 days with regular breaks. I will also have the manual transmission so it shouldn’t be too hard.