Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

According to the B&P, Synch 4 comes on ALL models - even the non-sasquatch Base.

Check out the "Radio Type".
sure, everyone gets sync 4 but 12 inch not avail on a base which is what i was saying. If you want this exact setup it's going to cost you a lot more $ which is more of a want than a need since it looks.... fine.
Sponsored

Edumakated

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Have you heard of carplay or Android auto?
Essentially puts your phone on the big screen in as minimally invasive of a way as possible
Yes. That isn't the point though. The point is the screens do not age well in cars and the manufacturers are really bad at tech and keeping up with new developments.

To make matters worse, they've all but killed the aftermarket designing dashboards around a screen instead of a standard double din so in most cars, it is difficult to replace with better after market options without screwing up the dashboard aesthetics.

I'd much rather have an old school instrument cluster / dash with real buttons and no screen.

I guess it may not matter with the disposable nature of cars these days. However, there are some models like jeeps and trucks that people tend to keep for a long time so having an interior that doesn't age quickly is important imho.

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yes. That isn't the point though. The point is the screens do not age well in cars and the manufacturers are really bad at tech and keeping up with new developments.

To make matters worse, they've all but killed the aftermarket designing dashboards around a screen instead of a standard double din so in most cars, it is difficult to replace with better after market options without screwing up the dashboard aesthetics.

I'd much rather have an old school instrument cluster / dash with real buttons and no screen.

I guess it may not matter with the disposable nature of cars these days. However, there are some models like jeeps and trucks that people tend to keep for a long time so having an interior that doesn't age quickly is important imho.
I hear what you're saying
My screen in my kia which was brand new 10 years ago was perfectly fine but it hasn't aged well. Both technically (it lags and has touch input issues), UI, and even User experience.

I share the same sentiment. You're right. But I'm hoping in 2021 these vehicle screens are more durable. Also from the video here, it seems like Sync4 is responsive and has clean menus.

saban

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
so besides just a larger screen, is there anything that the 12" has that the 8" doesn't have?

and can that be set to night mode all the time?

Sponsored

Pl8to

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Using Android auto and Carplay does help alleviate some of the aging issues of car systems because most things are running on the phone so as the app on your phone updates your system updates. I get the physical screen can start to get old but since these are multi touch screens they should age a little better than previous car screens.

DarkPoc28

Black Diamond
First Name
Francisco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Accent 2015
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Wish that the 12" could be upgradable for all models.

irv0735

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mercedes Sprinter 4x4, 2021 Bronco Reserved
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
so besides just a larger screen, is there anything that the 12" has that the 8" doesn't have?

and can that be set to night mode all the time?
I believe the wireless carplay/android auto (8" still has them, but via USB) and 360 camera are only available with the 12" screen.

Edit* - I've been corrected a couple times, so to avoid confusion, I was wrong... Wireless is included with sync 4 and not dependent on the screen size. Sorry!

Last edited:

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

8" is too small... said no one ever! As I am set on the BD, AND spend weeks on end off grid with no cell service (have a PLB and sat phone for emergencies) I will opt for the connected built in Nav. Won't do me a bit of good to try car play without a signal, sat music or what I have on my phone is all. I do take and extensive video library on SSD for movie night under the stars.

Sponsored

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm fine with the 8" in the Base/ non-mid BB/BD models but the promised sharable trail map functionality promised as part of the connected nav - which is the upgraded 8"/ 12" model - is what I'm really after.

Who am I kidding; the promise will likely outshadow reality, and I won't actually miss much...

Westwood

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Discovery
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I really wish manufacturers would go back to analog and leave the screens out of the car or at least give us an option to not have it. All I care about is being able to stream music. The nav on phones work way better. These screens don't age well in cars and the manufacturers aren't going to keep up with the third party market.
dont hold your breath with backup cameras being mandated

saban

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

rmc523

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Flex; 2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I actually like that carplay doesn't take up the whole screen - eliminates the need to click through 8 menus just to get back to the vehicle's functions.

I don't find CarPlay to be this amazing thing either - cool, but could take it or leave it, really.

chownd

Outer Banks
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Shit and here I thought I had settled on saving myself a good chunk of money
Sponsored