Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4X4 Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Really like this question, as a lot of people have no idea that even a simple camping trip 50 miles away can be totally off grid. Rockies and any mountain top really. I know a lot of folks on the forum will be new to going out in the woods and wheeling, but this doesn't need to be intimidating; trust me you'll love it! People are very nice out also. So just want to drop some helpful info here....

Always good to have 2 GPS devices on hand. Your cell phone can be one, but something like a Garmin InReach or the mini version is the smartest $300-$400 you'll ever spend. Can't always talk, but you can text emergency services or loved ones if you encounter trouble or just to update where you are. Even falling down and hurting an ankle while hiking can be devastating. You also want a GPS device for the maps. You'll need to remember to download them for offline use before heading out and Google Maps is cool, but Gaia GPS is the best overall for off roading. Annual subscription is a smart move and is about $40 and opens up a world of map resources. Maps eat a ton of memory though, so if using or thinking of an iPad, get one with a lot of memory.

If you're going to go wheeling with a group (always suggested), the two things to bring are recovery gear, and communication. A small handheld HAM radio (get the license, its cheap and an easy test) can be picked up for under $40 and keep you in contact with your party, weather updates, or emergency contacting. CB radio is cool too, but good idea to have both if you're going to wheel often as some guys have one or the other.
I'll have to check out Gaia GPS. I currently use Backcountry Navigator XE. It works really well and the top subscription is $30/yr.
Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I think Gaia is the app a lot of people use, but a couple of youtube references for offroad/overland route planning and navigation:

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Weird, but my first post was in a totally different thread than this one and kind of looks awkward given the initial information provided in this thread. Guess my comment was moved, but don’t see the ones from others.

Anyway, great to hear the Nav system in Bronco will function offline. However, I still strongly suggest having another GPS device for communication, including emergency comms.

The iPad solution is expensive and mostly for people who don’t have built in Nav systems such as with older trucks, but does have other utility. Plus having another screen set up just looks cool, so that warrants consideration as well.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'll have to check out Gaia GPS. I currently use Backcountry Navigator XE. It works really well and the top subscription is $30/yr.
Take a look at the types of maps that Gaia can overlay, including federal Land, local and state park trails and users can upload discovered trails to share with the community. Backcountry may have this feature as well, so I’ll have to check it out also.

I’m sort of paranoid about being lost with no way to communicate. Better safe than sorry I guess.

Sponsored

LorenzeTorres

Badlands
First Name
Lo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser/ 2002 BMW M3/ 2016 BMW M2/ 2016 Triumph Thruxton R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Oh man! This just means we won’t have a chance to grab parts off abandoned Broncos in the woods because people can make their way out of the trails? ?

“Oh look someone with a first edition never made it out, lemme just swap grills real quick”

Timsvtgen1

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Audi Q3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

uncledoodoo

Everglades
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 XJ, 56 F100, 11 Volvo XC90, Everglades
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

are the maps features on the base Sync 4 that comes with the standard package or does it require the higher packages?

fomoco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
deathmobile
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

But forcing people to pay monthly for something that doesnt even use data is crazy and should not be encouraged by customers. Because pretty soon car companies will be piling on monthly options to pump their stock prices instead of actually innovating. Its a nightmare scenario
If people don't want to pay for the service they can use their cell phone. There are plenty of map apps and you can also download mapping if you think you may not have a cell signal where you are going. I have not used a car nav in years, only my phone.

jtzako

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xterra Pro4x
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do you mean when cell service is not available? GPS is available everywhere.
Cellphone GPS used to be tied to the cell signal. If you lost cell service the GPS wouldnt work at all or not work properly. These days I think that isnt really an issue as long as the map is stored on the phone. Worst case you may have trouble doing a new destination search with no data access.

Sponsored

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

are the maps features on the base Sync 4 that comes with the standard package or does it require the higher packages?
SYNC and NAV are 2 separate things in the Ford world. You can have Sync but not the Nav. The Nav option on vehicles has a separate GPS/module/unit. I am going to guess that on top of having to have the Nav option there will be a separate 3rd party subscription just like SirrusXM for the map stuff. The other option is use your cell phone either when in range or offline maps.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Sounds like a nice feature Ford has created for the Bronco but I will check out Gaia GPS as well.

I'm buying the Bronco for me and maybe a Bronco Sport for my wife. Looking at the Bronco Sport specs it only comes with the older SYNC® 3?

Why, is it because SYNC® 3 is a carry over from the Escape?

jtzako

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xterra Pro4x
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sounds like a nice feature Ford has created for the Bronco but I will check out Gaia GPS as well.

I'm buying the Bronco for me and maybe a Bronco Sport for my wife. Looking at the Bronco Sport specs it only comes with the older SYNC® 3?

Why, is it because SYNC® 3 is a carry over from the Escape?
Sync4 releases this year on the Mustang. The Sport may be too early to get it.

Tdubz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
What’s the big deal? The navigation in every vehicle I have ever owned has always worked without cell service. Am I missing something here?

I saw mention of a subscription service for nav on the ford website, maybe it’s related to that?

Will regular (non subscription) navigation be available as well?

rjkmoto

Black Diamond
First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Dodge Challenger Hemi 392 Scatpack Shaker, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
SYNC and NAV are 2 separate things in the Ford world. You can have Sync but not the Nav. The Nav option on vehicles has a separate GPS/module/unit. I am going to guess that on top of having to have the Nav option there will be a separate 3rd party subscription just like SirrusXM for the map stuff. The other option is use your cell phone either when in range or offline maps.
On the UConnect System FCA uses the navigation is a one time purchase. The subscription is the SiriusXM Guardian and Travel Link programs. Guardian is the “onstar” type services and travel link is weather alerts and gas prices and movie showings/times etc.

I’m going to bet that the Sync “NAV subscription” will be very similar with the addition of the offline/off-road mode also behind the subscription pay-wall. In other words, I’d wager pretty hard that the basic NAV will work without any recurring subscription. ?‍♂

JK
Sponsored