Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

On the UConnect System FCA uses the navigation is a one time purchase. The subscription is the SiriusXM Guardian and Travel Link programs. Guardian is the “onstar” type services and travel link is weather alerts and gas prices and movie showings/times etc.

I’m going to bet that the Sync “NAV subscription” will be very similar with the addition of the offline/off-road mode also behind the subscription pay-wall. In other words, I’d wager pretty hard that the basic NAV will work without any recurring subscription. ?‍♂

JK
Yeah pretty sure thats whats going to happen. I have nav so I get nav as a purchased option one time, then an add on over the air 3rd party subscription for added map features.
Sponsored

618TRVLWILD

Big Bend
First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend Sasquatch 2D
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Def be handy for when I head to Alaska! My phone usually works pretty good though. Be good to have both when out on the Dalton Highway!!

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

On the UConnect System FCA uses the navigation is a one time purchase. The subscription is the SiriusXM Guardian and Travel Link programs. Guardian is the “onstar” type services and travel link is weather alerts and gas prices and movie showings/times etc.

I’m going to bet that the Sync “NAV subscription” will be very similar with the addition of the offline/off-road mode also behind the subscription pay-wall. In other words, I’d wager pretty hard that the basic NAV will work without any recurring subscription. ?‍♂

JK
That's what I'm expecting too.

Similar to my old Garmin until. Nav still works regardless, but map updates require a subscription.

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
If people don't want to pay for the service they can use their cell phone. There are plenty of map apps and you can also download mapping if you think you may not have a cell signal where you are going. I have not used a car nav in years, only my phone.
There are a lot of great off line cell phone mapping apps, I have used
AlpineQuest Off-Road Explorer
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=psyberia.alpinequest.full&hl=en_US

Just remember to download the maps you will need before you go out of cell range.

wander

Badlands
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 E250 Super Duty Sportsmobile
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My phone navigation works fine outside cell range and I use it frequently. All you need to do is have the maps downloaded locally. Its good to see the sync functions will still work though.
Yes, it works just like Gaia. Download the mapped area when in wifi and good to go. However, it would be nice if the telenav worked in concert with Gaia so you could use the Gaia layers.

Sponsored

aman43

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If people don't want to pay for the service they can use their cell phone. There are plenty of map apps and you can also download mapping if you think you may not have a cell signal where you are going. I have not used a car nav in years, only my phone.
in the tech world "if you dont like it dont use it" doesnt really work as a mechanism to create change

We are already seeing some german car companies do subscriptions for HEATED SEATS.

It would be amazing if we could own our cars in the future and not permenantly lease thousands of parts in the vehicle

Fordboi

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I didn’t see it mentioned (unless I’ve missed it in another thread):

Will Bronco Owners be able to enter in “favorite” trails that may not be currently “mapped” through the Telenav maps?

For instance, some of us know of trails that are not really “mapped”, but are accessible.

Would a user be able to create or enter a new trail/mapping into Telenav or would it capture it - so that it may be shared globally?
my dads lexus does that. we live down a long driveway out from the street. google maps can't obviously go down our driveway so it thinks we go down another road. the nav on the lexus has recorded our driveway as a ''road'' and won't eff up our directions!

rcbickle

First Edition
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 FX4, BMW M550i, BMW Z4, Mini Cooper, Bronco First Edition Reservation
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Aircraft generally have this capability - INS (Inertial Navigavition System) uses (anymore) laser-ring gyros to create a reference point - usually in conjunction with GPS. Then using a bunch of math, and precise measurements of precession in the ring gyros, the system can self determine position. The accuracy isn’t as good as GPS and it will degrade over time but the systems are pretty slick. And self contained.

JK
One of my former jobs was designing and manufacturing Ring Laser Naviations Systems, Air Data Reference Units, Aviation Radio Navigation Systems, etc.

Now you can get a basic gyro and accelerometer packages pretty cheap, sub $30. Since the F series off-road vehicles have basic data now for pitch and roll information, they have some sort of package now. My BMW provides acceleration data, etc. The Bronco also will have that information, likely more. So a basic INS is not out of the question as part of our vehicle electronics.

Krock918316

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GMC Sierra 1500
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

As a trail runner, you can be miles from civilization, miles from cell service and never even see GPS signals waiver. If you can see the sky you will have a reliable GPS signal.

Ironically if you want GPS to take a dump the one place that happens pretty reliably is among tall buildings in city centers. The skyscrapers cut off your view of the sky.

No reason to ever worry about not having GPS signal in nature
Don't be so sure of that. DOD/FAA regularly does GPS Interference testing that can block out a fairly big area on the ground...

https://www.faasafety.gov/files/notices/2020/Jul/WSMRNM_20-23_GPS_Flight_Advisory.pdf

Ford Bronco SYNC 4 with Telenav will keep navigation & maps working even with no cell service gps

Sponsored

gilko

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Vitara 2 door, F150, and others.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If I could, I'd delete all of the unnecessary electronics. What is the point of going off-grid if you take the grid with you? It just raises the purchase price, and keeps your credit card busy at the dealership.

Ford is coming a long way with autonomous driving vehicles. I see test vehicles here around Austin. Perhaps they can develop an autonomous Bronco. Pull up to the trailhead, take a nap while it drives the trails, and when you get back to the city, you can brag what a Badass you are, and how you conquered the mountains.

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well I don't worry about it because I never go far afield without a lensatic compass and maps. While I certainly use and appreciate the modern methods I'm a belt and suspenders kind of guy.

KosmicKid

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco OBX '14 Jaguar XFR-S 18 Lincoln MKZ
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You can still lose GNSS signal in nature: side of a mountain, bottom of a canyon, time of day when the satellites are low in the horizon, are some examples I have encountered
Remember you need 3-5 satellites to get a decent fix.

Kickit

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This is a very appealing feature. Though I’ve been thinking of getting the Garmin in reach for a while now for those solo hikes, I like the idea of having the GPS nav feature on the car as well. Now the Bronco can officially replace my husband as designated map reader/navigation know it all. Well played Ford, well played.........

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do we know if the 12” screen is required to get this or any other features? I can live with a smaller screen if it has the same tech.
Sponsored