First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
With a lot of people new to the offroad world via Ford offering the bronco I thought it may be a good idea to post some facts about the use of synthetic winch rope. It is overall the best choice for recreational 4x4's and does not have to break the bank.

Why use synthetic rope?

Two reasons, safety and weight savings. If you have ever picked up a winch you know they are heavy items and our vehicles only weigh 5,000lbs, having one (or two) winches attached adds a relatively large percentage of weight. Using a lightweight rope and fairlead reduces the weight by tens of pounds. Safety, well one should not ever be in the path of danger, however in the haste of recovery most newbies will enter into the danger zone without even thinking about it. If there is a failure at tension the flying mass of a syn rope is way less dangerous than the mass of a steel cable coming your way.

Historically the only real downside to syn rope was cost. Many manufactures will charge you $300 or more to buy their winch with the "upgrade". I really wish they would offer the winch without any kind of rope or fairlead, talk about cost savings! The good news is you can get a syn rope for less than $100, if you are willing to learn a few things.

Amazon.com: X-BULL SK75 3/8" x 100’Dyneema Synthetic Winch Rope 23,809 Lbs : Industrial & Scientific

Amazon.com: Ucreative Aluminum Hawse Fairlead for 8000-13000 LBs Winch 10" (254mm) Mount Glossy Silver : Automotive

The key to DIY with syn rope is knowing how to work with the cable and putting on the ends, or splicing, that you prefer to run.

To make an eye you do not need special tools, but they sure do help. A sharp knife, wire, tape, and a pointy object is really all that is required to splice. I suggest you buy Dyneema, which is a name brand, due to not all HMPE being created equal, however if a company puts a rating on their product this can usually be trusted. In short, syn rope works like a Chinese finger trap. The center is hollow, and the stranded fiber bundles squeeze toward the center when under longitudinal forces.

HOW TO SPLICE- 3 ways

Deep bury- This is the simplest and probably the one you would use on the trail. I would say 'quick and dirty' but the dirty part does not apply. The only real downside is the locking point can slip while not under load conditions. This would fall into the maintenace category.

How I SPLICE ROPE! Either on the tracks or at home! - YouTube

Brummel

This is a locking splice that does not require any additional effort other than routing the rope into itself in a specific way. The brummel splice will not slip however, the downside is you lose 5-10% of the strength at that point. This is very acceptable but not optimal.

Brummel lock-splice with one side fixed - YouTube

Whip stitch

This one you just insert the end into the middle of the rope and put in a whip stitch to hold it. It does not slip in a no-load situation and no strength is lost.

Dyneema Eye Splice Demonstration - YouTube

Dyneema Lock Stitch Demonstration - YouTube

As you can see working with syn cable can be very easy. I would suggest when going the cost effective route you inspect the splices. Two things to remember are to taper the end of the bury and make sure you have enough of the end buried. Exceedingly simple. As with most things in life you do not have to have the fancy stuff to get 'er done, however when you do get to a point the margins may matter to you. There is a whole world of high dollar recovery gear out there to enjoy. I would say start with soft shackles and quality attachment points anything above that is just personal preference.

More about general recovery safety:

This video goes over a case study of a fatality and what type of gear that should be used. No affiliation, he just does a great job explaining the situation. This case was a pull rope but the same stored energy applies to a winch recovery.

Breaking down the Arizona Fatal offroad recovery - YouTube
Sponsored

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Very neat writeup

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good writeup. I would also add downside of rope is that it must be replaced periodically due to hidden rot, especially due to UV exposure. Steel cable will last forever in dry environments with zero maintenance. Rope is also less durable over rocks and such, so sometimes not ideal for pulling stuff out of the way (trees, etc) or when scraping ground/rocks is unavoidable. Climate and application is a consideration.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've heard that synthetic has a narrower angle it can be used at and can be damaged by moisture so it should be kept covered when not in use. Thoughts?

OP
OP
toymaster

toymaster

Badlands
First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've heard that synthetic has a narrower angle it can be used at and can be damaged by moisture so it should be kept covered when not in use. Thoughts?
Dyneema was used in the sailing world long before we, quite recently, adopted it in the off-road world. I would not worry as much about water as I would UV rays and contaminants, road grit.

I cover all my syn winches with a cover, if not custom made for that winch then one with a cinch cord, and keep every inch blocked from the sun.

As far as angle, straight pulls are the best for any cable. Use these to change directions. Side loading is never a good thing, but sometimes you do what you have to do and repair/replace at the house.

Amazon.com: Ucreative Winch Snatch Recovery Ring 66,000 lbs for Soft Shackle ATV UTV Recovery (Blue) : Automotive

Sponsored

Bradley Thornton

Badlands
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sequoia TRD sport, 2021 Badlands Sas, 93 Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Bradley Thornton

Badlands
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sequoia TRD sport, 2021 Badlands Sas, 93 Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

OP
OP
toymaster

toymaster

Badlands
First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Exactly! The Yankum fairlead and soft shackles are the way to go with a synthetic winch line.
The rule is to keep the heavy stuff at the attachment points, anything in the middle should be light.

The main thing I have against the yankum setup is the exposed cable. The only way I would run that is on a trail only rig, trailer queen that is garage kept.

Sponsored

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The rule is to keep the heavy stuff at the attachment points, anything in the middle should be light.

The main thing I have against the yankum setup is the exposed cable. The only way I would run that is on a trail only rig, trailer queen that is garage kept.
didn't we just watch a hook go through the windshield and kill a guy?
white truck, or something. i could be wrong, I didn't watch closely.

and exposed cable???
Their design makes the fairlead the most forward part protecting the cable from rock rash.

Ford Bronco Synthetic winch rope demystified 1673397156210

vs
Ford Bronco Synthetic winch rope demystified 1673397197077

OP
OP
toymaster

toymaster

Badlands
First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
didn't we just watch a hook go through the windshield and kill a guy?
white truck, or something. i could be wrong, I didn't watch closely.

and exposed cable???
Their design makes the fairlead the most forward part protecting the cable from rock rash.
Some clarifications, sorry I was not more clear before.

The video had an attachment point fail, because they used the wrong type of attachment. Even if one only had the syn rope loop attached to the subpar drop hitch the exact same thing would have happened.

By exposed, I mean to weather, not impact. And, that is a stock photo of the bumper I have ordered; I would never run exposed syn cable like that. In 4ish months when my bumpers arrive I'll post a pic below..... I was hoping no one would notice that!

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Some clarifications, sorry I was not more clear before.

The video had an attachment point fail, because they used the wrong type of attachment. Even if one only had the syn rope loop attached to the subpar drop hitch the exact same thing would have happened.

By exposed, I mean to weather, not impact. And, that is a stock photo of the bumper I have ordered; I would never run exposed syn cable like that. In 4ish months when my bumpers arrive I'll post a pic below..... I was hoping no one would notice that!
drop hitch sounds right, it was gruesome, couldn't really watch closely.
I'll stick with soft shackles. I wish aftermarket bumpers would open up the recovery points like Ford did with the modular bumper. Easier to hook up soft shackles and leave the metal ones in the truck.

Ford Bronco Synthetic winch rope demystified 1673399863912

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m running the same synthetic cable on my utility winch since around 2005, and it was used when I bought the winch. It looks a little frayed, but hasn’t failed yet. I mainly use it for pulling vehicles onto a car trailer or pulling cut logs around, nothing really dangerous. The enemy of synthetic line is UV and grit. Mine is stored indoors most of the time, but has been used in plenty of dirt. Synthetic rope is massively safer than steel cable if something lets go, there is much less mass for it to snap back and hurt someone. I’ve seen videos of it breaking, it drops to the ground with minimal snap back compared to steel.

I was really tempted by the December deal on the Smittybuilt winch with synthetic rope for $430.

vzqhsg

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Dyneema was used in the sailing world long before we, quite recently, adopted it in the off-road world. I would not worry as much about water as I would UV rays and contaminants, road grit.

I cover all my syn winches with a cover, if not custom made for that winch then one with a cinch cord, and keep every inch blocked from the sun.

As far as angle, straight pulls are the best for any cable. Use these to change directions. Side loading is never a good thing, but sometimes you do what you have to do and repair/replace at the house.

Amazon.com: Ucreative Winch Snatch Recovery Ring 66,000 lbs for Soft Shackle ATV UTV Recovery (Blue) : Automotive
As stated dirt, salt on your winch rope, any thing that works as an abrasive is what harms the rope. I was told not to use a power washer to clean a rope.
Sponsored