First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've seen the Bronco in person a few times now but finally got to sit in one yesterday in Denver and....it was underwhelming at best. I'm seriously questioning dropping $65k on my build (2DR, Badlands, Sasquatch, Lux, Towing, Hard Top) and waiting for who knows how long to get it.

I can build a fully loaded TRD Off-Road Tacoma for $45k or a fully loaded TRD Pro for $55k. What can the Bronco do that either of those Tacomas couldn't? What features would I be missing? I can build out a heck of a custom Tacoma for the same $65k I'd plop down for a Bronco I figure.

I'm mostly talking about off-road performance, I know I won't have doors that come off and a removable top. I just don't know enough about 4x4 and off-roading to know which is better. And that said, despite ordering a Badlands with Sasquatch, I doubt I'm going to be doing serious off-roading, likely just making my way to dispersed campsites and driving in the snow.
Sponsored

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
If you think sitting in a Bronco is underwhelming go sit in a tacoma lol.

To answer the question more, getting 35ā€™s and a front locker in a Tacoma is $$$$. And even after all of that work the Bronco is still going to have a way better approach/break over/departure angle. And at the end of the day youā€™re still left with the absolutely anemic 3.5 liter in the Tacoma.

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
The Tacoma does not come with a locking front differential or a sway bar disconnect.

35 inch tires from the factory should mean a stock Bronco could take on most trails. The breakover angle is better and the departure angle.

The TRD pro is a nice truck it does come with a locking rear differential. But to add the lift kit the bigger tires and new rims and a locking front differential would probably add 10k.

So 55k for trd pro and 10k aftermarket would put you at the same price as a Bronco.

Do you want a pick up or an SUV?

Rover72

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR, 18 Cadillac XT5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Sounds like your not missing anything, as you mention the top & doors off is the big differentiator from all others except Jeep. The front suspension and Ford Bronco heritage is also a differentiator to those of us who dig that rather than a jeep. To each their own.

colintrax

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Colorado, Ford Explorer, KTM 890 ADV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you don't like the price, don't buy a sas badlands. You said it yourself, you don't need it.

What you get with the Taco is non removable doors/roof. Leaf spring rear suspension. Likely less front suspension travel? No sway bar disconnect. No front locker. Rear drum brakes. Underpowered NA engine. 6 speed transmission that seems to be universally hated. A plastic bed and front bumper.
But that resale tho.

Edit: I googled it. The bronco has more front and rear suspension travel. Significantly better RTI score.

Sponsored

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The other big expense you're missing on the Tacoma is the TRD supercharger kit that you're *going* to need. I like tacomas in nearly every way, they look great, lots of space, it's a tacoma so it'll run forever, pretty great off road for most things.

But holy crap does Toyota need to do some work on that motor. I know they don't fix what ain't broken, but damn, that motor is gutless at best, and a tragedy at worst.

Scohin

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Have you been in a Tacoma from 2008? If yes than you've been in a 2021 Tacoma as well

OP
OP
cardinalsfan

cardinalsfan

Badlands
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Tacoma does not come with a locking front differential or a sway bar disconnect.

35 inch tires from the factory should mean a stock Bronco could take on most trails. The breakover angle is better and the departure angle.

The TRD pro is a nice truck it does come with a locking rear differential. But to add the lift kit the bigger tires and new rims and a locking front differential would probably add 10k.
Thank you for the factual answer.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the lack of a front sway bar disconnect only affect the articulation of the front axle? And with the Taco having a IFS, does that matter much?

And a locking front diff is really only necessary for serious trails and rock crawling correct? There are options to add lockers to the front of a Tacoma from a quick google search.

OP
OP
cardinalsfan

cardinalsfan

Badlands
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Have you been in a Tacoma from 2008? If yes than you've been in a 2021 Tacoma as well
I own a 2009 Tacoma. There's a massive difference between it and a 2020 that I just test drove.

OP
OP
cardinalsfan

cardinalsfan

Badlands
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The other big expense you're missing on the Tacoma is the TRD supercharger kit that you're *going* to need. I like tacomas in nearly every way, they look great, lots of space, it's a tacoma so it'll run forever, pretty great off road for most things.

But holy crap does Toyota need to do some work on that motor. I know they don't fix what ain't broken, but damn, that motor is gutless at best, and a tragedy at worst.
A decent tune can go a long way from what I hear. But that 3.5 and 6 speed auto is pretty universally hated at this point and it was the main reason I looked hard at the Bronco.

Need? That's a bit much. I could get that based on your other vehicles and apparent need for power/speed. But my 4.0L in my 2009 Tacoma has been great. I've never lacked for power. I know the 3.5L is massively different however. My single test drive wasn't awful but I would love a longer one to take it into the mountains and see how bad it really is.

Sponsored
OP
OP
cardinalsfan

cardinalsfan

Badlands
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you don't like the price, don't buy a sas badlands. You said it yourself, you don't need it.

What you get with the Taco is non removable doors/roof. Leaf spring rear suspension. Likely less front suspension travel? No sway bar disconnect. No front locker. Rear drum brakes. Underpowered NA engine. 6 speed transmission that seems to be universally hated. A plastic bed and front bumper.
But that resale tho.

Edit: I googled it. The bronco has more front and rear suspension travel. Significantly better RTI score.
What build/trim would get similar performance to a TRD Off Road Tacoma for $45k? I won't give up the Lux package so it needs to be one that would have that as an option.

Desert_6G

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you think sitting in a Bronco is underwhelming go sit in a tacoma lol.

To answer the question more, getting 35ā€™s and a front locker in a Tacoma is $$$$. And even after all of that work the Bronco is still going to have a way better approach/break over/departure angle. And at the end of the day youā€™re still left with the absolutely anemic 3.5 liter in the Tacoma.
How is it possible to build a 2-door to 65k? Maybe you should recondider your build cause that's insane for only a 2-door. I had a Tacoma and I absolutely hated it after 6 months. I'm only 5'7" and hit my head on the door sill numerous times getting it and even bounced my head of the window a few times off-roading. The interior is cramped and the engine is gutless with a dim witted trans that down shifts everytime you drive over a grain of sand. But it all depends what you value. Sure you can get a Tacoma for $40-50k. But you won't be getting all the tech and off-road goodies the Bronco has. And it will drive like a truck. So not nearly as comfortable as a suv

OP
OP
cardinalsfan

cardinalsfan

Badlands
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sounds like your not missing anything, as you mention the top & doors off is the big differentiator from all others except Jeep. The front suspension and Ford Bronco heritage is also a differentiator to those of us who dig that rather than a jeep. To each their own.
Bronco and Taco both have IFS but the Bronco has a locker and sway bar disconnect (on some trims).

In my ideal world I was trying to combine my two cars at the time into one - a Miata and a Tacoma. The Bronco is the top off, wide-open experience of the Miata with the off roading and fun of a Tacoma. But at this point I could just get a new Taco and a slight used Miata for the same price as the Bronco I wanted.

jonwithanelcamino

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
El Camino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

A decent tune can go a long way from what I hear. But that 3.5 and 6 speed auto is pretty universally hated at this point and it was the main reason I looked hard at the Bronco.

Need? That's a bit much. I could get that based on your other vehicles and apparent need for power/speed. But my 4.0L in my 2009 Tacoma has been great. I've never lacked for power. I know the 3.5L is massively different however. My single test drive wasn't awful but I would love a longer one to take it into the mountains and see how bad it really is.
Donā€™t get much out of ā€˜tuningā€™ an naturally aspirated engine. Versus tuning a forced induction engine.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.