Sponsored

Tail gate reinforcements are they just smoke?

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Ok since I decided to go with 37’s I figured heck I’ll get a reinforcement for the tail gate. Had the 37” spare on for one day before my reinforcement arrive no issues everything shut and lined up fine. Follow the instructions get everything together shut lines up great. Set the spare on bangs into the striker. Dropped a touch over 1/4” with the spare. Note everything is loctited and torqued. This was before even driving the bronco. I’ve got to take the spare off and see if it flexes back to normal without it on. If it does then I guess my conclusion is they don’t help a damn thing. I’ll have to try to see if I can lift it 1/4” high and loosen and retighten the bolts. To purposely have it too high so it can flex back to place. Either my hinges have that much flex or the support really doesn’t support. Not naming which one because I do not believe it’s a defect product looks good and lined up well with all holes. According to the specs I’ve found I’m at 103lbs not counting tpms sensor and wheel weights.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ok since I decided to go with 37’s I figured heck I’ll get a reinforcement for the tail gate. Had the 37” spare on for one day before my reinforcement arrive no issues everything shut and lined up fine. Follow the instructions get everything together shut lines up great. Set the spare on bangs into the striker. Dropped a touch over 1/4” with the spare. Note everything is loctited and torqued. This was before even driving the bronco. I’ve got to take the spare off and see if it flexes back to normal without it on. If it does then I guess my conclusion is they don’t help a damn thing. I’ll have to try to see if I can lift it 1/4” high and loosen and retighten the bolts. To purposely have it too high so it can flex back to place. Either my hinges have that much flex or the support really doesn’t support. Not naming which one because I do not believe it’s a defect product looks good and lined up well with all holes.
I don’t think Ford would add it to the bronco raptor if it was unnecessary or smoke.

I had my 37” spare on for a few days before my support. My tailgate made a lot more noise and creaking before the support was installed on my tailgate. And after install I’ve had 0 issues with fitment, gaps or noise 🤷‍♂️

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Which reinforcement did you get? Not familiar exactly with the “striker” but I had to remove both the rubber pieces on the tailgate for the 35 to fit. Before my tailgate would make excess noise when opening and closing, but not anymore.

OP
OP
‘21OBX

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

what rubber are you referring to? The striker is the big round thing under where the latch is. You can physically look and see the misaligned at the latch with the tire on. I don’t want to mention the brand as I haven’t figured it out or messaged them yet.

Baddie64

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep Liberty, 2013 Ford Fusion Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Prior to hinge Bolt removal, did you prop the tailgate into place with cardboard, rubber matting etc? It’s critical to do that to maintain alignment.

Sponsored
OP
OP
‘21OBX

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Prior to hinge Bolt removal, did you prop the tailgate into place with cardboard, rubber matting etc? It’s critical to do that to maintain alignment.
I actually had a board the full length of the gate wedged under it cut to a fairly snug fit. Only did one hinge at a time. Everything aligned and shut great without the spare. It’s a heavy guy. Plus I have the tailgate table and molle bags I would guess I have 150lbs hanging on the gate. I gained 28lbs I believe per tire with the new setup.I know I’m asking a lot out of the gate which is why I wanted a support. The plastic bumper doesn’t help much with keeping alignment either it squishes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
‘21OBX

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Ok after double and triple checking then searching here’s what I found.
The reinforcement should be and is fine. Actually where you remove those bolts is not where you would adjust the gate anyway and has no effect. It is all done behind the tailight and plastic rubber close out panel on the hinge side. What has/is happening on mine is the hinges have shifted with the weight. I’ll adjust per the post I’m about to link. And all should be right in the world. A big thanks again to @flip for his access and knowledge to ford database!
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...ar-tailgate-reinforcement-system.45150/page-7

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Which reinforcement did you get? Not familiar exactly with the “striker” but I had to remove both the rubber pieces on the tailgate for the 35 to fit. Before my tailgate would make excess noise when opening and closing, but not anymore.
You removed the bump stops? Did you cut them down or replace them?

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When I had my spare off for a while the gate closed poorly: too high at the striker. There seems to be a decent amount of sag accounted for when aligning the hinges.

Sponsored
OP
OP
‘21OBX

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

When I had my spare off for a while the gate closed poorly: too high at the striker. There seems to be a decent amount of sag accounted for when aligning the hinges.
Mine did great until the 37 went on lol.

DaveInSA

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 4DR, 2007 Saturn Sky
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's my understanding that the tailgate reinforcement isn't to reinforce the hinges and the alignment to the body. It's to reinforce the tailgate skin where the spare tire carrier is attached.
Obviously the Bronco is fine carrying a 35" tire back there, but some people that have moved to heavier combos of tire/wheel have had issues with creaks and squeaks from the tailgate twisting. The reinforcement strengthen that portion that the spare tire carrier mounts to.
So, it shouldn't* really have any effect on alignment of the entire tailgate to the striker / latch.

* If the tailgate wasn't kept in perfect alignment while changing out the bolts holding it to the hinges, this could have altered the alignment with the latch.

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You gotta replace them
Have to replace the two rubber bumpers that keep the tire off the tailgate when it’s factory tire? I went from 32s to 35s, and have been off now for almost 2 months without any issues. next month I get a new rear bumper with dual swing outs so the whole reinforcement bracket won’t be a issue.

OP
OP
‘21OBX

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It's my understanding that the tailgate reinforcement isn't to reinforce the hinges and the alignment to the body. It's to reinforce the tailgate skin where the spare tire carrier is attached.
Obviously the Bronco is fine carrying a 35" tire back there, but some people that have moved to heavier combos of tire/wheel have had issues with creaks and squeaks from the tailgate twisting. The reinforcement strengthen that portion that the spare tire carrier mounts to.
So, it shouldn't* really have any effect on alignment of the entire tailgate to the striker / latch.

* If the tailgate wasn't kept in perfect alignment while changing out the bolts holding it to the hinges, this could have altered the alignment with the latch.
Gate shut identical before and after the install. It was immobilized. There really isn’t any adjustment at the strap if you follow the link from flip. It’s all at the hinge. Then the tire went on lol. I went back to my measurements. The strap(hinge) is what has moved. So the reinforcement is fine and probably keeping any actual gate flex from happening.
Sponsored