Sponsored

Tailgate Reinforcement (Help me understand?!)

pakrat

Badlands
First Name
JG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner-F250-Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Can anyone help me understand the physics here? I try to avoid damage when possible and since the tire I've upgraded to is significantly heavier (all non Territory tires are) and I'm adding a ski rack directly to the spare tire I'm concerned about the tailgate weight capacity.

I'm probably overthinking this but it seems to me the hinges are the weak points and that the various tailgate reinforcement brackets on the market simply bolt to the outside of the tailgate and bracket and do nothing for the hinges. Are they simply reinforcing the sheet metal so that it doesn't distort? Are the hinges not a concern since they really only need to swing the gate open when the vehicle is not in motion? How does the Raptor version tackle the added weight? Has anyone ever had damage to their Bronco or maybe their Jeep? So many questions, please forgive me but if I'm going to shell out a few hundred $$$ then I want to be sure I'm not buying snake oil if you know what I mean. The RTR Spare Tire Carrier looks like the best option but damn ... almost $1200!
Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'89 Land Rover 90 p/u, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You are correct, the hinges are the weak point. A majority of the reinforcements out there simply connect the hinges together which provides some additional rigidity but does not address the weak point. RTR's does address the hinges but I'm not a big fan of the look. IAG has a new product coming that addresses the hinges and IMO looks great. Supposed $500 introductory price, $600 retail.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...forcement-with-upgraded-hinge-assembly.60686/

JackTripper

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Enough
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I’ve seen this on many different threads, however, I am unable to ascertain the correct answer. Will the Raptor support work on our non-Raptor Broncos?

OP
OP
pakrat

pakrat

Badlands
First Name
JG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You are correct, the hinges are the weak point. A majority of the reinforcements out there simply connect the hinges together which provides some additional rigidity but does not address the weak point. RTR's does address the hinges but I'm not a big fan of the look. IAG has a new product coming that addresses the hinges and IMO looks great. Supposed $500 introductory price, $600 retail.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...forcement-with-upgraded-hinge-assembly.60686/
That does look promising!

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve seen this on many different threads, however, I am unable to ascertain the correct answer. Will the Raptor support work on our non-Raptor Broncos?
No, Raptor hinges will not work on standard bronco. There is a thread but I can't locate at the moment.

Sponsored

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
if I recall the thread making it work wasnt an easy job to say the least.

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Someone absolutely made it work
As I recall yes, someone did MAKE it work but it wasn't a simple one for one swap or direct fit bolt-on which I assumed to be the question.

jolson1228

Outer Banks
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I don't have the official link right now, but the stock tailgate weight limit is 133lbs. You can find threads on here that back up that number with links.

While the hinges are A weak point (Not THE weak point), the other issue you would have with a ski rack on the back is distortion of the sheet metal (as you mentioned). With the tailgate closed, the weight is distributed between the hinges and the door latch, so in theory it has a higher weight limit when closed versus open, but I can't say for sure on that point.

The plate metal tailgate reinforcements (Like RC, Hammerbuilt, etc) do two things. They connect the hinges together to better distribute the weight between the two, and they add rigidity to the sheet metal. They won't increase the weight limit of the tailgate by much if they do at all, you would need to upgrade the hinges at that point.

I ran into this when I set up my ski rack on the spare tire. I added up the weight of the tire, wheel, ski rack, and skis and it came out to about 128lbs. I thought I was set, so I started assembling it. Once I got the racks on, I started moving it around to see if it would be stable in turns and over bumps and I noticed the tailgate sheet metal was flexing quite a bit. I ended up adding the RC tailgate reinforcement because I don't plan on going to the slopes with a full ski rack very often (it fits 6 pairs of skis, the bronco only fits 4 adults comfortably), so I didn't think I would need to do the hinges for a higher weight limit. It works great for me! There are no alignment issues with the tailgate, it doesn't sag when it's open, and the flex is completely gone.

I'd recommend adding up the weight of everything you have, and if you're close to the 133lb mark, save some money and go with RC or Hammerbuilt. If you're significantly over that weight, go with something like the RTR that replaces the hinges.

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Sponsored
OP
OP
pakrat

pakrat

Badlands
First Name
JG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't have the official link right now, but the stock tailgate weight limit is 133lbs. You can find threads on here that back up that number with links.

While the hinges are A weak point (Not THE weak point), the other issue you would have with a ski rack on the back is distortion of the sheet metal (as you mentioned). With the tailgate closed, the weight is distributed between the hinges and the door latch, so in theory it has a higher weight limit when closed versus open, but I can't say for sure on that point.

The plate metal tailgate reinforcements (Like RC, Hammerbuilt, etc) do two things. They connect the hinges together to better distribute the weight between the two, and they add rigidity to the sheet metal. They won't increase the weight limit of the tailgate by much if they do at all, you would need to upgrade the hinges at that point.

I ran into this when I set up my ski rack on the spare tire. I added up the weight of the tire, wheel, ski rack, and skis and it came out to about 128lbs. I thought I was set, so I started assembling it. Once I got the racks on, I started moving it around to see if it would be stable in turns and over bumps and I noticed the tailgate sheet metal was flexing quite a bit. I ended up adding the RC tailgate reinforcement because I don't plan on going to the slopes with a full ski rack very often (it fits 6 pairs of skis, the bronco only fits 4 adults comfortably), so I didn't think I would need to do the hinges for a higher weight limit. It works great for me! There are no alignment issues with the tailgate, it doesn't sag when it's open, and the flex is completely gone.

I'd recommend adding up the weight of everything you have, and if you're close to the 133lb mark, save some money and go with RC or Hammerbuilt. If you're significantly over that weight, go with something like the RTR that replaces the hinges.
Great info. Did you purchase, modify or fabricate your ski rack. I plan on fabricating my own. Problem with all of the hitch mounted ones is they stick so darn far out the back past the spare. Don't know about where you ski but parking is tight here and no way would I want my rack sticking that far out into the parking aisle.

jolson1228

Outer Banks
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Great info. Did you purchase, modify or fabricate your ski rack. I plan on fabricating my own. Problem with all of the hitch mounted ones is they stick so darn far out the back past the spare. Don't know about where you ski but parking is tight here and no way would I want my rack sticking that far out into the parking aisle.
I use the Hollywood SR1 and Thule Tram. I haven't had any issues with length, even with the ski rack sticking out I'm still shorter than the Tacomas and Rangers going up there. The two nice things about it are it keeps the rear camera clear, and it forces people to stay far enough back to open the tailgate if they park behind you.

It’s sloped a little bit in the pics, this was the first test fit after I put the RC reinforcement on. I have it leveled now but don’t have pics of that.

Ford Bronco Tailgate Reinforcement (Help me understand?!) F2F063C0-EE73-458F-AC54-B9E6C553121C
Ford Bronco Tailgate Reinforcement (Help me understand?!) 37AF387E-6FE5-4064-B0A9-E5ADA124191C
Ford Bronco Tailgate Reinforcement (Help me understand?!) B1E0D2FD-B05E-432D-8CA5-5DB9B3922841

VentureBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Base Sasquatch 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
I purchased and installed the RTR tailgate system and it’s absolutely amazing. Super sturdy, and piece of mind that it feels like it can handle anything. Yeah, it’s expensive… but it’s cheaper than going with a solution that doesn’t work and then spending more money to finally do it right.

aniljavali

Badlands
First Name
Anil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands '22 & Tesla 3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

awesome. how is the 360 degree view looking? all lines match up?
Sponsored