Sponsored

Tailgate strut - is there a way to make it perform better or replace it?

GloNDark

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Bronco Ranger & 2021 Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Hammerbuilt has a replacement strut. It only has 1 position, Open all the way. It has been one of the best things I've done to my Bronco. I hated opening it almost all the way and it coming back to 45 degrees. With a hard top the open to 45 degrees is completely useless if you want to open the rear window/hatch.

The Hammerbuilt was a little strong at first but it has settled in perfectly, pull the handle it opens to 90 degrees without even touching it.

https://hpbuilt.shop/products/limiting-tailgate-strut-for-6th-gen-bronco?_pos=1&_sid=86c94444c&_ss=r
Sponsored

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You have to open it partway, pause and let it come back, open 90, same thing. Then you can open further if you want.

Pretty annoying, but it's ok if you know you can't rush it. I'm glad it holds well because on the wrong incline it could cut my wife in half.

FoxyRoxy

Everglades
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

When I installed the RTR Jerry Can holder, you have to buy the tailgate stop so it won't hit the tail light. I thought it was going to make it more difficult, but in practice it makes it easier.. I can open it and it stops just at the right position.. IDK if its worth spending the $150 for but thought I would share this tid bit from my perspective..

Sponsored

Grumpy

Big Bend
First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The tailgate strut was never designed to open the tailgate by itself as it was intended to impose restriction. It is strictly for dampening and restrict tailgate to open unassisted and cause damage to hinges/tailgate and anything in its path.

Gtrekker

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor, Audi, M1102 Overland Trailer 2-B
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Is it just me that feels that access to the cargo area is so annoying because of the tailgate being SO heavy?
I mean, its not that its heavy but it just wont move that easily because of the strut that is barely extending when tailgate is opened.

I feel that I need to push it all the way open because it wont "pop" anywhere by itself.
Hey, when you 1st open the door about a foot, pause then push it open. It seems to give the strut a chance to catch-up or release a bit easier.

As it was mentioned in an earlier post there's a gym or a Bronco Sport that may have your name on it. 🤔👍😂

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Mine took a year to loosen up and stop fighting me. Now it opens and closes fine. Maybe just give it some time.

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Where would the spare go?
Stand it up in the trunk and call it a day. This vehicle was made to have a tailgate but they went too far in the Coke/Pepsi design with Jeep.

Instead I get stuck having to purchase a $1200 slide out tailgate or a flimsy table.

Sponsored

Donkeygyrl

Base
First Name
Sheri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco on order
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Maybe the heritage edition will have a tailgate

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Where would the spare go?
Cool idea but wondering the same.. and even if did drop down nice with the tailgate.. a bit heavy to close I'd say haha
@0ne mentioned this, but most of the old Broncos (2nd generation and newer) had a drop down tailgate with a swing-out spare tire carrier. I think it was technically an optional upgrade but most of the Broncos you could buy on the lots had it equipped.

The tire was attached to a pair of hinges on the passenger rear side of the vehicle. Swing the spare tire to the side, roll down the rear window (it was motorized), and then the tailgate just becomes your typical pickup-truck tailgate. Admittedly it wasn't a super great experience. Took a multi-step process to fully open the rear of the vehicle, and that rear glass electric motor was both slow & a common failure point. But it definitely was one of the characteristics that made a Bronco a Bronco.

The BIG benefit that it has over the current Bronco is the fact that you could simply roll down the rear window and have immediate fresh air and access to the cargo stored in the back. Didn't have to worry about cargo shifting and falling out when you open the tailgate, didn't have to worry about your dog trying to jump out the second you open that door, etc. etc.

I would be shocked if the 6th generation designers didn't seriously consider bring back that design. The fact the slide-out tailgate option/accessory exist is a pretty good sign they were aware of the Bronco's history and were keenly aware of the sacrifice they made with the design they landed on. I understand why they did it—the current design it's more modern, looks better, it's an (arguably) better user experience, and plays better with both soft top and hard tops. But a lot of long-time Bronco owners think the old design was superior.

Ford Bronco Tailgate strut - is there a way to make it perform better or replace it? 1678508635475

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
It'll break in, and when it does it takes very little effort to wing the tailgate to 90° in one easy motion. That bounce back goes away.

Man.. That would be the life.
No, that would be a massive pain in the ass. Why anyone would want 2 feet of tailgate to reach over to access anything in the back is beyond me 🤦‍♂️

Just because that's how they were decades ago doesn't mean it's the best way to do it.

Donkeygyrl

Base
First Name
Sheri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco on order
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

A tailgate is an awesome place to sit,work,cook ect.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Is it just me that feels that access to the cargo area is so annoying because of the tailgate being SO heavy?
I mean, its not that its heavy but it just wont move that easily because of the strut that is barely extending when tailgate is opened.

I feel that I need to push it all the way open because it wont "pop" anywhere by itself.
If you don't like pushing the tailgate open, maybe buy something like this and set up a few limit switches for simple open/close operation. Could even automate it for a single press open/close like the newer hatches do on Expeditions and Tahoes, using a second actuator to unlatch the tailgate. The sky is the limit, my dude, that's why they made limit switches. So you don't overextend your tailgate.

https://www.amazon.com/Stroke-Elect...19922&sprefix=linear+actuator,aps,257&sr=8-15

Also, drop down tailgates are dumb. I'm glad everyone collectively abandoned them in everything except trucks 💣
Sponsored