Sponsored

Taking Bronco Offline - disconnecting cellular / telematics connectivity (Technical Discussion, Please)

TheShu

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Multiple Toys
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Folks,
I'm hoping to start a purely technical discussion on disconnecting the cellular/telematics connectivity within the Bronco.

I know there are strong opinions and a lot of riducle that hits this specific topic, so I'm asking if we can please keep it to technical discussion on HOW, and not long-running thread of WHY/WHY-NOT/What-Hiding/etc. Please. For those that like your cellular/connected options, please enjoy them.

In some previous vehicles, I've physically pulled TCU's (telematics control unit) out entirely, however in the Bronco it appears that Fuse 20 in the in-cabin fuse box is the Telematics module, and Fuse 160 under the hood is "Smart Data Link" module.

Questions:
1) Has anyone actually yanked fuse 20? Are there other offline systems impacted or excessive warning lights? (specific to the mid package) Understand connected Nav, any Ford OTA updates to the Sync system etc would be blocked.

2) Has anyone located the TCU in the Bronco? How hard is it to pull, and what other systems are impacted (i.e. in some Subaru, if you pull the Starlink module, you loose some of your front speakers, as they are wired thru the ADAS system for audio interrupt/voice. Aftermarket wiring harneses addressed this.)

3) My last Ford was pre-connectivity, and I cannot find a lot of details on the "Smart Data link" module (fuse 160). Any engineering folks on here know specifics of this sytem and its connectivty capabilities? I believe it is an offline data link for onboard devices, not a telematics device with connectivity unto itself, but would love confirmation.

4) Last resort is to find the antenna and pull. Lots of forums out there for other cars with Shark-fins being removed. I'd like this to be last resort and actually simply just disable/remove the connected modules.

Admins, I know this topic has come up in other threads, but I searched/read for quite a while and did not find a detailed technical implementation, hence the re-ask.

Regards and thanks in advance
Shu
Sponsored

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
F450, Jeep XJ, Porsche 911, 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Interested in this as well.

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wouldn't mind a list of what can/cannot be deactivated in software. I understand your pulling hardware approach, but clicking a button is always faster.

OP
OP

TheShu

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Multiple Toys
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I wouldn't mind a list of what can/cannot be deactivated in software. I understand your pulling hardware approach, but clicking a button is always faster.
Agreed, but I will prolly even kill the option for OTA updates, as I am not personally wild about things like Amazon Alexa being pushed to the system. I'm guessing Ford will not provide an easy "off" button to stop things like software updates.

GoTigersGoBronco

Badlands
First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would crack the thing open and pull the SIM card. That way, you can still do an update via WiFi at home.

Sponsored

Bo-Ronco

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 KR F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Agreed, but I will prolly even kill the option for OTA updates, as I am not personally wild about things like Amazon Alexa being pushed to the system. I'm guessing Ford will not provide an easy "off" button to stop things like software updates.
I have this exact same concern. My IT guy at work is working on the solution for how to get rid of or disable all features like this (namely Alexa) for when my Bronco arrives.

If he comes up with a good solution I will share it here.

OP
OP

TheShu

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Multiple Toys
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
@GoTigersGoBronco, Have you located the TCU module on the bronco? Is it fairly straightforward to pull the SIM card? This would possibly be an even better option than what I had proposed.

@Paul Gagnon, Can you please provide screenshots? YOu are saying it is possible to disable all cellular connectivity via menu options? Would be a nice simple option for folks.

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
[/QUOTE]i

@Paul Gagnon, Can you please provide screenshots? YOu are saying it is possible to disable all cellular connectivity via menu options? Would be a nice simple option for folks.
Under Settings/Connectivity/Connected Vehicle Features then turn Vehicle Connectivity off.

Ford Bronco Taking Bronco Offline - disconnecting cellular / telematics connectivity (Technical Discussion, Please) 367B5D4C-58F3-4F08-90C4-307667604183

Ford Bronco Taking Bronco Offline - disconnecting cellular / telematics connectivity (Technical Discussion, Please) AC02EB40-3C24-4243-AF53-8F904FF02CCA

Ford Bronco Taking Bronco Offline - disconnecting cellular / telematics connectivity (Technical Discussion, Please) A81FE7DF-C3A4-4749-9E0F-5FBC78AA3EFE

OP
OP

TheShu

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Multiple Toys
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
i

Under Settings/Connectivity/Connected Vehicle Features then turn Vehicle Connectivity off.

367B5D4C-58F3-4F08-90C4-307667604183.jpeg

AC02EB40-3C24-4243-AF53-8F904FF02CCA.jpeg

A81FE7DF-C3A4-4749-9E0F-5FBC78AA3EFE.jpeg

[/QUOTE]

Sweet! Thank you for sharing the info.
I'm very happy to see Ford allowed this type of option to customers.

Sponsored

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
My 2012 Sierra was not equipped with OnStar, last year for opting out of that. Still running the factory battery. Coincidence? I think not...

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My 2012 Sierra was not equipped with OnStar, last year for opting out of that. Still running the factory battery. Coincidence? I think not...
You can still get WT trim Silverado trucks without onstar. Since I use onstar for telematics I specifically have to order it as an add on for our work trucks.

bkfit

Base
First Name
BK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Spaceship
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

367B5D4C-58F3-4F08-90C4-307667604183.jpeg

AC02EB40-3C24-4243-AF53-8F904FF02CCA.jpeg

A81FE7DF-C3A4-4749-9E0F-5FBC78AA3EFE.jpeg

[/QUOTE]
Sweet turned mine off. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Sponsored

Last edited: