First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The stick on this is better than the bowl-of-pudding on the jeeps, and just snickety enough to be truly fun. My only complaint, and I never thought this would be a complaint, but that horrendous tach really is useless. I never thought I’d need it because I never looked at the tach in my previous cars, but this motor doesn’t respond like the others do and is more picky about where it is in the rev range and any sort of noise outside the truck renders listening to the engine pointless. I’m hoping the Ford performance tune fixes that though.
Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’ve driven at least 20 manuals in my life. They are all different. After about 5 minutes you just drive it how it wants to be driven. Way too much over thinking going on here.

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BaseSquatch, 2023 Tesla Y Performance
Your Bronco Model
Base
Based on personal experience, know that you will fight the dealer on any warranty claim related to a manual transmission. The dealer will blame you as the driver for any problems with a manual. Pretty much assume you don't have a warranty on the transmission.

CarlSpackler

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Cars and transmissions are all different. There’s a wealth of knowledge for ya.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BaseManSquatch

BaseManSquatch

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Lots of good info here from both the manual and automatic members.

I've been doing a lot of research, watching a lot of YouTube videos on off roading with a stick vs automatic and from what I've gathered (correct me if I'm wrong) is that it you are driving a manual through deep mud or a deep river and you stall, you risk a chance of water getting into the manual transmission when you shift gears to try go get unstuck. Is this true?

Could the same thing happen in deep snow? I don't plan on driving through large mud holes or going across deep creaks but what about if I was to get stuck in deep snow and tried to get out with the stick? I would love to go offroading, especially in snow.

Also Dusty I'm surprised you want go get the slushbox for your next Bronco. I'm a big fan of your YouTube videos and I'm surprised what your Bronco has done. Any particular reason for switching transmissions?

Sponsored

CarlSpackler

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Shifting a manual transmission, even after a stall, does not create a path for water intrusion. Unless I’ve been lucky my whole life, which I haven’t been. Sealed is sealed, auto or manual.

Bronc69

Wildtrak
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911, 2022 X3 (wife's), 2015 GTI (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I do not have a manual Bronco, but have owned manuals my entire life with very few instances where I did not have a manual.

Your question #1 doesn't make sense at all. 99% of your clutch wear comes from pulling out from a stop. You have to feather the clutch at least a little bit to have a smooth take off.

Different cars make this easier or harder based on the engine, transmission gearing and final drive ratios.

Case in point. I had a 2000 VW Golf GL with a 5-speed manual for 15 years. I put 240K miles on it and traded it with the original clutch (zero slipping issues - when the wife would drive it she'd chirp the tires the first time she'd pull out). This car was by far the easiest car I've ever driven in terms of pulling out from a stop. It was a perfect combination of being able to let the clutch out quickly enough that it didn't bounce around/buck and you could just get on the throttle quite quickly to keep the motion very smooth.
Shifting while driving I NEVER feathered in throttle. To keep the motion fluid, you either time the RPMs as they fall and leave the clutch out quickly to catch it at the right moment or you accelerate to a point where you're not really gaining speed and you shift very smoothly. You'll lose a very small amount of acceleration, but I would never feed in throttle until the clutch was completely out.

Basically, the quicker you can let the clutch out fully and not ride it will reduce the wear significantly. Same goes for shifting while moving. I do the same thing in the race car. The last thing you want is to have a slipping clutch on the track (or anywhere for that matter).

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
op if you are dreaming of the days where the clutch feels like it did 20 years ago then you wont be happy with this manual. Entire different driving experience. You will think the clutch is worn out the first time you drive it. I instantly hated it but it wasnt mine. Thankful I bought an automatic. Maybe I wouldve gotten used to it? But it instantly put me off.

Reactions: LCW

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Also Dusty I'm surprised you want go get the slushbox for your next Bronco. I'm a big fan of your YouTube videos and I'm surprised what your Bronco has done. Any particular reason for switching transmissions?
It's too hard to shift with a coke in one hand and a burrito in the other, and my knee on the wheel :)

Sponsored

Hot cheetos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Ford Ranger/2004 Pontiac GTO
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Was so glad ford put a manual in. I did not order for awhile because I was hoping they'd put the bigger engine with a manual, but at least they changed the sasquatch package to allow for it. I would not have ordered a bronco at all if I couldn't get a 2.7 or sasquatch with a manual

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ‘1928 model A, “23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My model A and mustang are both manuals and I enjoy rowing them around, but they are not off road or tow vehicles...autos are far superior in those useages!

Buckaroo

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Was so glad ford put a manual in. I did not order for awhile because I was hoping they'd put the bigger engine with a manual, but at least they changed the sasquatch package to allow for it. I would not have ordered a bronco at all if I couldn't get a 2.7 or sasquatch with a manual
I agree with this. I waited to put an order in until I could get a stick shift with the Sasquatch. This clutch is stupid easy to use. Not like the old ones at all. It’s a cheat code.

I3lackRose

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So I'm debating if I should go with the manual, I'm like 95% set on it over the automatic but have some questions, especially when it comes to offroading. First vehicle I had was a V8 5.7L 5 speed Dodge Dakota single cab.

1) I've read on this forum that driving the Bronco manual is different than driving a regular manual. What I have read on here is that you clutch in, change the gear, then clutch out completely and then push down on the accelerator. Is this true? Usually you have to balance both pedals at the same time when changing gears don't you? It's been a while since I drove a manual.

2) When going downhill, what gear do you stay in? Do you just put it in crawler or 1st and leave it there? This will ensure that the vehicle will not pick up speed correct?

See the video below for the kind of trails I plan on doing.

Also, any other tips on driving the manual?

OP you should know what you are walking into if you do decide manual. Large group of us having seemingly an unfixable transmission issue. 21, 22 and 23s. New transmissions do it too. One member has had 3 different transmissions and offered a 4th. also had the 3rd trans ripped apart and serviced per TSB 22-2371 to still have noise come right back.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...-rotational-scraping-noise-in-the-7mts.63324/

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: LCW

JawnyBronco

Heritage
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

So I'm debating if I should go with the manual, I'm like 95% set on it over the automatic but have some questions, especially when it comes to offroading. First vehicle I had was a V8 5.7L 5 speed Dodge Dakota single cab.

1) I've read on this forum that driving the Bronco manual is different than driving a regular manual. What I have read on here is that you clutch in, change the gear, then clutch out completely and then push down on the accelerator. Is this true? Usually you have to balance both pedals at the same time when changing gears don't you? It's been a while since I drove a manual.

2) When going downhill, what gear do you stay in? Do you just put it in crawler or 1st and leave it there? This will ensure that the vehicle will not pick up speed correct?

See the video below for the kind of trails I plan on doing.

Also, any other tips on driving the manual?

Here is the info you seek…
Sponsored